Worst Buffalo Bills player of all time

major

4 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I understand that Troup's problem was not attitude, and that he was poorly handled by the team, but as far as on field production is concerned and considering where he was drafted - the cost was fairly high and the payback just about zero.  That's why I suggested him as a candidate.  I'm not suggesting he was a bad person.

From a production standpoint he was essentially worthless.   Just like James Hardy.  We haven't had a ton of success with 2nd round picks.   Gronk being picked shortly after that  pick is kind of a stinger as well.   

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, stevewin said:

I used to have a borderline irrational hatred for Coy Wire.  I hated (hated) he had so many fans but he sucked SO BAD.  I used to just isolate on him at games and just watch him run around clueless like a steroided chicken with his head cut off - always (always) out of position.  But he could jump out of the shallow end of a pool :w00t:...

I felt the same about Chris Kelsay. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

31 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I felt the same about Chris Kelsay. 

I wasted a lot of space on this forum defending Kelsay but he was an undeserving whipping boy for many fans.  As a 2nd round pick (and 6th DE taken in that draft) he turned into a very serviceable starter over a 10-year career.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

From a production standpoint he was essentially worthless.   Just like James Hardy.  We haven't had a ton of success with 2nd round picks.   Gronk being picked shortly after that  pick is kind of a stinger as well.   

Byrd and Levitre were good 2nd rounders in the same draft (?).  But, ya, typically we don't do well in the 2nd round.

12 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

?  No.  He was serviceable.  

I don't think Ellison was serviceable.  Me and my buddy used to say the following about Ellison.........

1.  We don't have anyone good enough to start at LB

2.  Ellison is not good enough to start, but, Ellison started

3.  Ellison is a "tweener" that can't play in this league.  He got pushed around and couldn't tackle.  TOO small!

4.  As long as Ellison was starting we weren't good at LB and clearly had NO depth at LB

5.  Ellison started for 2 or 3 season and he was not good enough to start

6.  Shortly after we didn't have Ellison on the roster.........Maybin was on our team in the same role, but, worse!

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Winner.

Considering he was a high 2nd round pick

And immediately preceded some Polish guy named Rob Gronkowski who we obviously could have had instead.

Hmmm....

I'm listing guys who weren't just bad ALA Keith Ellison, debatably Chris Kelsey and Josh Reed, etc....I'm trying to list guys who were supposed to be starters and were soon replaced because of their ineptitude.

(Of course) Maybin

Chris Williams

Derrick Dockery

John McCargo

Larry Tripplet

I guess when you suck at evaluating linemen that's one good way to ensure a playoff drought

Edited by Reader

15 hours ago, OJ Tom said:

It seems like it needs to be someone who wasn't just bad, but was around long enough to have a true negative impact. Plenty of guys sucked, but never played much, or were high picks that just were a waste. It feels too easy to pick a QB (Hobert barely played), because they are under the microscope and overanalyzed. 

Some criteria could be..

A high pick.

Maybe injured a lot.

Unpopular with the fans

Made serious game changing blunders.

Stuck around, and had significant playing time.

I think McCargo might be my pick.

If you consider preventing the Bills from making the playoffs & allowing the drought to continue, the worst Bills player ever would be Brain Dead Drew Bledsoe.

2 hours ago, Manther said:

Keith Ellison

Damn I hated Keith Ellison lol. He got so much playing time thanks to injuries. I remember one year he was considered a strength...that’s when I knew the season was toast. 

• Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Torell Troup

The irony of passing on Rob Gronkowski because of his history of back problems for a less talented player who couldn't stay on the field because of a bad back is almost too much to take.  I'm still not over it. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, KGun12TD said:

The guy we picked instead of Russel Wilson...He could run really fast but couldn't catch a ball if hi s life depended on it. I don't even remember his name.

This is another stinger.  If memory serves, when the Bills played the Seahawks that year, Wilson broke an NFL rookie record by rushing for three TDs and throwing for another in a single half, and T.J. Graham dropped four passes, one in the end zone.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Man, there are so many good bad players on this list I don't know which one to choose as the best worst one.

I think mayhem maybins rap debacle really ended the debate in my head.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm sure many will disagree but :

Jp losman

Trent Edwards 

Aaron maybin

Cornell green

Ej manuel

Mike tolbert

Mike williams

Josh reed

The kicker who replaced Ryan Lindell when he got injured 

I'm sure I'll think of more 

QB for the 2-14 Bills in 1985

Ferragamo/Mathison:   263-577, 3331 yards, 9 TD's /  31 INT's. 165 Yards per Game,  52 QB Rating.  And we had the 17th ranked defense.

That Torrell Troup tho...

Edited by dezertbill

4 hours ago, eball said:

I wasted a lot of space on this forum defending Kelsay but he was an undeserving whipping boy for many fans.  As a 2nd round pick (and 6th DE taken in that draft) he turned into a very serviceable starter over a 10-year career.

He was a whipping boy, but guys like Kelsay also personified the drought Bills. Those teams were full of guys deemed “serviceable” by fans, yet none of them were good enough to help take a team to the next level. The drought era teams simply held on to dozens of serviceable players for too long imo. Fwiw, the Kelsay contract was awful management. It was the type of decision  that created that drought. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Don't agree about McKelvin.  He didn't live up to his draft status but still started the majority of the games he played in his career.

He was about an average corner over his career.

He was an average corner at the end of his career, when he finally figured out he was supposed to look for the ball in the air.

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Jp losman

Trent Edwards 

Aaron maybin

Cornell green

Ej manuel

Mike tolbert

Mike williams

Josh reed

Add Walt Patulski to the list.

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Jp losman

Trent Edwards 

Aaron maybin

Cornell green

Ej manuel

Mike tolbert

Mike williams

Josh reed

Seriously some decent options.  This list made me think Tolbert and Reggie Bush are two of the worst Bills ever.

Geepers Bush has negative rush yards as a Bill and Tolbert seemed like he was negative rush yards.