Worst Buffalo Bills player of all time

major

9 hours ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

He was a whipping boy, but guys like Kelsay also personified the drought Bills. Those teams were full of guys deemed “serviceable” by fans, yet none of them were good enough to help take a team to the next level. The drought era teams simply held on to dozens of serviceable players for too long imo. Fwiw, the Kelsay contract was awful management. It was the type of decision  that created that drought. 

Meh.  You don't expect to find a "star" with the 40th pick (and 6th DE) in a draft.  Kelsay performed right in line with what you hope for that level of pick.  The fans are just wrong on this one.

23 hours ago, Manther said:

Byrd and Levitre were good 2nd rounders in the same draft (?).  But, ya, typically we don't do well in the 2nd round.

I don't think Ellison was serviceable.  Me and my buddy used to say the following about Ellison.........

1.  We don't have anyone good enough to start at LB

2.  Ellison is not good enough to start, but, Ellison started

3.  Ellison is a "tweener" that can't play in this league.  He got pushed around and couldn't tackle.  TOO small!

4.  As long as Ellison was starting we weren't good at LB and clearly had NO depth at LB

5.  Ellison started for 2 or 3 season and he was not good enough to start

6.  Shortly after we didn't have Ellison on the roster.........Maybin was on our team in the same role, but, worse!

He wasn't very good but he is not in the conversation for the worst player to wear a Bills jersey in the 58 year history of the franchise.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

To be worst I feel high expectations needed to be had.  Todd Collins was god awful and suppose replacement for Kelly.  Troup because only the 2000's Bill's could pass on drafting local boy Rob Gronkoski.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I kinda had Justin Rogers pencilled in there tbh.

He played like a rookie 7th rd pick.  When late rd picks play as rookies they are what they are IMO.

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:59 PM, major said:

Billy Joe Hobert (didn’t have time to look at playbook) ?. Yours?

Aaron Maybin...Reggie Bush(has another RB averaged neg yds in a season?)...possibly this Peterman kid at QB....

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:03 PM, Steptide said:

I'm sure many will disagree but :

Jp losman

Trent Edwards 

Aaron maybin

Cornell green

Ej manuel

Mike tolbert

Mike williams

Josh reed

The kicker who replaced Ryan Lindell when he got injured 

I'm sure I'll think of more 

Josh Reed?? are you crazy?

On 7/9/2018 at 8:55 AM, blacklabel said:

I'm trying to make sense of it. Talley was a 2nd round pick and after a slow start to his career, he was a key part of the defense during the Super Bowl runs in the 90s. Made two Pro Bowls and was named first or second team All-Pro by several national sporting publications.

Mark Kelso was a 10th round pick of the Eagles in '85, so, I'd say his career was moderately successful as he was likely seen as a guy lucky to make a practice squad. Played in 99 games and recorded 30 career interceptions. Also wore the famous double-bubble helmet while with the Bills.

Jeff Wright was taken in the 8th round of the '88 draft. Averaged 4.5 sacks a year as part of the DL rotation. Primarily played nose tackle so, to average 4.5 sacks a year from that spot isn't too bad. And again, super late round pick and we all know late round picks that end up being productive players (or starters, and Wright started 67 out of 98 career games, excluding playoffs, in which he appeared in 16 of those) aren't too common so... wouldn't say he's anywhere near deserving to be on the list of All-Time Not Good Bills Players. Michael Huff, a safety picked by the Raiders one slot before Whitner, also had a very underwhelming career. And he was the consensus top-ranked safety that year, seen as one of the best defensive prospects available and generally looked at as a "can't miss" kinda player.

Just looked at the 2006 draft and not one safety from that class had a standout career. In fact, 2006 overall was a pretty rough year for picks. The best players from that entire group: Mario Williams (for a few seasons of his career, including 2014 w/Bills), D'Brickashaw Ferguson, AJ Hawk (for a first round pick his career kinda screams 2nd/3rd round player), Vernon Davis, Haloti Ngata, and Nick Mangold. Those were the first round guys that, IMO, had first-round careers. Andrew Whitworth came out of that draft in round two, he's had a solid career. Jahri Evans was a fourth round guy who, for a time, was one of the top OGs in the league. Stephen Gostkowski was another fourth rounder who may actually go down as the best all-time Patrtiots kicker, yes, even over Vinatieri as Gostkowski's Pats' career is longer than his. Brandon Marshall and Elvis Dumervil were also fourth round choices from that class that have done well. And with the first pick in the fifth round, pick 134 overall, the Buffalo Bills select... Kyle Williams, defensive tackle, Louisiana State. While he's probably not a Hall of Famer, he's most certainly a Bills Wall of Famer and he's had a stellar career for a dude who was seen as a "high motor, good effort guy but ultimately too small to be anything more than a backup at the next level" (that kinda stuff was all over his scouting reports) kinda player. Drafted right after him was Rob Ninkovich, and while he was a douchey Pats player, he had a good career. After that, there are a few other players (like Delanie Walker) that had/are still having decent careers. And wow, I didn't realize how far off track I got but yeah, the '06 draft will not go down as a very good one.

Donte Whitner... well, if he had been taken where he was projected (late first round) then there probably isn't too much to complain about. But, he went 8th overall in 2006 and while he put together an 11-year career (starting 152 out of 157 games), made two Pro Bowls later in his career (one with the 49ers in 2012, the other with the Browns in 2014), he only had 11 career interceptions. I always felt like the guy was way too focused on trying to land the big hit rather than playing the ball properly. An 11-year run with two Pro Bowls in the NFL ain't bad but you probably expect more from the #8 overall pick in 2006. Underwhelming as he was, still not one of the worst Bills ever.

The OP said s/he named these players under the perspective of "not living up to their potential" which you can maybe apply to Whitner but it's not his fault he was over-drafted. Talley, for a second-round guy, had a solid career. Wright and Kelso, as late round picks, both had fairly solid careers so... I dunno, maybe the OP just doesn't like those guys. Maybe Donte Whitner stole his lunch money one time, I dunno.

This was the second half of my post and I prefaced it with letting the team down.  

Talley missed multiple tackles in SuperBowl XXV that helped keep Giants offense on the field,. He was awful in the most important game of his career.  He is also my top overrated player of all time and someone who I don't think deserved Wall of Fame.  That said however, he did have a solid career never being the best LB on the field and playing behind the greatest DE in NFL history.

Kelso was just not that good and also had his worst moments in the SuperBowls.

Jeff Wright, see above for Talley.

For me, SuperBowl XXV was the worst moment I've experienced as a Bills fan.  I blame Levy first and then Talley and Wright.  

Perhaps the wrong take on the OP question, but my response was prefaced with a slightly different twist on the OP question.

21 hours ago, metzelaars_lives said:

He wasn't very good but he is not in the conversation for the worst player to wear a Bills jersey in the 58 year history of the franchise.

I agree with you he is not the worst Bill ever.  But, I do think he is in the conversation for worst Bill who was a starter.

At least the team photo.