Worst Buffalo Bills player of all time

major

17 hours ago, Flip Johnson said:

Chris Watson the punt catcher and the worst cover corner we've ever had.

Yes.  I knew this thread would invite a lot of ill-informed responses (Jeff Wright?  Mark Kelso?  Percy Harvin?  EJ Manuel?).  You gotta think of a guy who shouldn't have been on an NFL practice squad.  Even John McCargo made a few plays.  Anyway I'm not scrolling through every page but in my life as a person old enough to be a Bills fan and form memories (1985 - present), Chris Watson is probably the best answer you could give.  He was a liability and was targeted every time he was on the field.  Great call. 

8 minutes ago, KW95 said:

Justin Rogers

Leodis Mckelvin

Mike Tolbert

Rob Johnson

Leodis McKelvin was an above average starting NFL player during his tenure with the Bills, especially if you take into account that he was a dynamic returner.  The Bills have been in existence for 58 years.  You really think Leodis McKelvin is one of the four worst players to ever wear a Bills uniform?  Think before you give answers, people. Justin Rogers was bad, I'll give you that one.  

Edited by metzelaars_lives

1 minute ago, metzelaars_lives said:

Yes.  I knew this thread would invite a lot of ill-informed responses (Jeff Wright?  Mark Kelso?  Percy Harvin?  EJ Manuel?).  You gotta think of a guy who shouldn't have been on an NFL practice squad.  Even John McCargo made a few plays.  Anyway I'm not scrolling through every page but in my life as a person old enough to be a Bills fan and form memories (1985 - present), Chris Watson is probably the best answer you could give.  He was a liability and was targeted every time he was on the field.  Great call. 

Chris Watson was my number 2 behind Maybin.  I just remember watching Watson get lit up each week.  He was Wade's guy from Denver and was surprised at how bad he was.  

He was never on the #1 WR either....I believe he was our nickel.  

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Don't agree about McKelvin.  He didn't live up to his draft status but still started the majority of the games he played in his career.

He was about an average corner over his career.

I know, but he was is probably the most UNCLUTCH  player as I've ever seen.

• Like (+1) 1

I believe we have a winner: Maybin.  However, I still believe Losman worked hard for the honor

4 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

Leodis McKelvin was an above average starting NFL player during his tenure with the Bills, especially if you take into account that he was a dynamic returner.  The Bills have been in existence for 68 years.  You really think Leodis McKelvin is one of the four worst players to ever wear a Bills uniform?  Think before you give answers, people. Justin Rogers was bad, I'll give you that one.  

Above average?  Surely you jest.

2 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

I believe we have a winner: Maybin.  However, I still believe Losman worked hard for the honor

JP Losman took every snap in 2006 and wasn't even that bad.  He led a s****y team to a 7-9 record and gave Lee Evans Pro Bowl numbers.  Does the name Bruce Mathison mean anything to you?

2 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Above average?  Surely you jest.

No I don't at all.  Made bad plays on the ball sometimes but utilized his speed to get in good position.  That coupled with the fact that he was a dynamic punt returner for a long time- he was a good ball player.  Jim Schwartz snatched him right up and he started all season for the Eagles the year after he left the Bills.  What does that tell you?

Edited by metzelaars_lives

2 hours ago, metzelaars_lives said:

Leodis McKelvin was an above average starting NFL player during his tenure on the Bills, especially if you take into account that he was dynamic returner.  The Bills have been in existence for 68 years.  You really think Leodis McKelvin is one of the four worst players to ever wear a Bills uniform?  Think before you give answers, people. Justin Rogers was bad, I'll give you that one.  

He was a good corner later in his career, once a decent position coach found him. 

Always and elite returner and athlete. Voted to a probowl to boot. Not even close to worst...

However... Maybin, Justin Rogers, Mike Williams, TJ Graham, Jeff Teul, McCargo was another gem. Flowers, Tuttle, EJM, JPL, AVP... Trent..  so many choices

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

I didn't scour the entire thread but I'll make an argument right here that the worst player AS A BILL was actually two players, who each only played one season (1985) in Buffalo.

The Vince Ferragamo/Bruce Mathison 2-headed monster at QB for the '85 Bills combined for these glorious statistics:

50.9% passing, 3312 yards, 9 TDs, 31 INTs, 41 sacks, 9 fumbles, and a 2-14 W-L record.

You can't even separate the two -- they had nearly identical, awful stats.  Vince went 1-8 and Bruce went 1-6.  Combined QB rating of 52.

That, my friends, is worse quarterbacking -- by a longshot -- than even the Cleveland Browns have been getting.  This was badness of mythical proportions.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, eball said:

I didn't scour the entire thread but I'll make an argument right here that the worst player AS A BILL was actually two players, who each only played one season (1985) in Buffalo.

The Vince Ferragamo/Bruce Mathison 2-headed monster at QB for the '85 Bills combined for these glorious statistics:

50.9% passing, 3312 yards, 9 TDs, 31 INTs, 41 sacks, 9 fumbles, and a 2-14 W-L record.

You can't even separate the two -- they had nearly identical, awful stats.  Vince went 1-8 and Bruce went 1-6.  Combined QB rating of 52.

That, my friends, is worse quarterbacking -- by a longshot -- than even the Cleveland Browns have been getting.  This was badness of mythical proportions.

and the Bills actually won two games. Wow

I used to have a borderline irrational hatred for Coy Wire.  I hated (hated) he had so many fans but he sucked SO BAD.  I used to just isolate on him at games and just watch him run around clueless like a steroided chicken with his head cut off - always (always) out of position.  But he could jump out of the shallow end of a pool :w00t:...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

He was pushed back after a herniated disc in his back, which was just stupid.   Had they done right by his rehab he may have been a solid player.  

I understand that Troup's problem was not attitude, and that he was poorly handled by the team, but as far as on field production is concerned and considering where he was drafted - the cost was fairly high and the payback just about zero.  That's why I suggested him as a candidate.  I'm not suggesting he was a bad person.