Worst Buffalo Bills player of all time

major

4 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

I do not remember the 60's 70's and early 80's.   I may be missing quite a few.

I must go with Maybin too.    He was Not a player lacking in talent forced to start, he was not a guy who was derailed by injury, he was just flat out bad.   Could not even contribute as a backup or special teamer, terrible attitude.   I'm convinced that if he was anything other than a high first round pick that he gets cut in the first season. 

Honorable mentions go to

Justin Rogers-Remember the Jets game where they got like 350 passing yards and 280 of them were on him?

The Ferragamo/mathison two headed QB monster of 1985. The first year that I remember watching the Bills.   Makes Losman and Edwards look like Montana and Young

Troup-This gets much worse when you consider that we could have easily gotten local player turned possibly best TE of all time Rob Gronkowski.  TE was a position of need and many were projecting him on the Bills.  At least Troup has the excuse of injury unlike Maybin.

Troup essentially broke his back.  Ya can't fault a guy for getting injured.....

I'm going with Aaron Maybin, too.  There were plenty of 'bust' players like EJ, Mike Williams, Troup, etc., but Maybin was a 1st rounder who was a complete joke.  

Edited by Peace Frog

4 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Torell Troup

If you really think so, read this:

https://buffalonews.com/2015/11/21/torell-troup-one-pick-ahead-of-gronk/

In no way was he anywhere near the worst. And it was his devotion to duty and to doing his best that led to the injury.

Excerpt:

"Through the 2011 lockout, Troup trained with a vengeance. He reported to training camp at a chiseled 319 pounds, eager to break out. Practices began at St. John Fisher and the kid who had 23 tackles and no sacks the year prior was dominant for stretches.

“Honestly, I was killing the offensive line,” Troup said. “Eric Wood, I’m good friends with him, but they couldn’t handle me.”

One day in the lunchroom, head coach Chan Gailey and General Manager Buddy Nix couldn’t contain their excitement. The two asked Troup to sit down with them and told this bull in a china shop they had no clue what he did over the offseason, but, wow, were they ecstatic to see this all transfer to game day.

Their words added more fuel to Troup’s fire. His tear continued. Teammates today still remember Troup’s raw strength.

“Low center of gravity,” guard Kraig Urbik said. “Super strong. Legs were very thick. Strong dude – he was tough to move for sure.”

“He was a strong dude,” Wood said.

“Big, powerful guy,” added veteran Kyle Williams. “He’s probably not your pass rusher, but a guy who could stack things up at the line and make plays at the line of scrimmage and do some good things there.”

Reached by phone, Nix instantly remembers this camp well.

“Those big guys are hard to find! Especially him,” Nix said. “He had some movement ability and was really a strong anchor guy.”

As Nix recalls, the Bills were shifting to a 3-4 scheme when they took Troup and needed a nose to take on double teams.

He doesn’t remember teams being scared off by Gronkowski’s injury history, but the Arizona tight end was the one with the shoddy Carfax report. Back surgery sidelined him his entire final season at Arizona. Troup? He missed a few games due to a knee scope as a freshman but was healthy in totaling 52 tackles (12.5 for loss) as a junior and 35 tackles (five for loss) as a senior.

Then, without warning, his world started to crumble down.

In a one-on-one pass rushing drill against Wood, Troup used a head bob to freeze the center. He smacked Wood with his right arm and Troup’s hand snapped, breaking the bone underneath his right knuckle. Initially, Troup thought he jammed the finger. By the time he reached the trainers he said his hand looked like a baseball glove.

Troup missed one week of practice, wrapped the paw in a club and was prepared to punctuate his knockout summer in the preseason finale against Detroit. To this day, he cannot pinpoint the play, the moment, but during this game he fractured his lower back.

“I played all through the game doped up,” he said, “so I couldn’t feel it.”

On Wednesday, it felt like he pulled both hamstrings. He received an epidural. Tests later revealed the fracture. A disc in his back was slipping and pushing against nerves, causing burning and numbness down his legs.

Troup sat out the first three weeks of the season and returned.

“It’s easy to look back now and say, ‘I should have sat my ass down,’ ” Troup said. “But I was young. I was stupid. And it cost me my career.”

‘They wanted me to play’

In New England, there was a revolution. Gronkowski became Tom Brady’s No. 1 target, torching secondaries for 1,327 yards and 17 touchdowns en route to the Super Bowl.

Back in Buffalo, there was only misery. Pain. Buffalo’s 5-2 start bled to a 6-10 finish as Troup eked by day to day. Teammates told him to stop playing. Coaches, he said, instructed him to play. His routine was simple.

Pain pills for practice: Troup took usually took 7.5 or 9.5 mg of Percocet or a different medication.

Toradol for game day: He used this magic potion to completely numb his body in the trenches.

Despite serious side effects, players have treated this drug like Popeye’s spinach since the mid-1990s. Misuse can lead to kidney failure, liver damage and gastrointestinal bleeding. In a recent lawsuit, former NFL players claimed Toradol’s blood-thinning effects also worsen the effects of concussions.

But Troup needed to play. He took the 1.5-inch, 22-gauge needle injection and suited up for six games. In addition to this, he took muscle relaxers.

“They doped me up so much I couldn’t feel anything,” Troup said. “Now that I look back at it, I don’t really understand why I played. We weren’t having a great season. But like I said, if somebody told me to play … I didn’t know better. If somebody told me to play with my head cracked, I would’ve played.”

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, major said:

Billy Joe Hobert (didn’t have time to look at playbook) ?. Yours?

Yeah, there were plenty of guys I didn't want playing for the Bills. Hobert was not a bad player, but was the only one I ever really despised. Too lazy to bother studying the playbook.

Like in all things, it is relative. Relative to potential, need, draft position, and alternative options the Bills could have gone.  

I started watching in 1980.

Therefore I would include:

Perry Tuttle

Vince Ferragamo

Bill Joe Hobert

Tony Hunter

Aaron Maybin

Torrell Troup

TJ Graham

JP Losman

Rob Johnson

Langston Walker

Derrick Dockery

If you take the perspective of worst players that may have been ok but ultimately did not play up to potential or let the team down then:

Darryl Talley

Mark Kelso

Jeff Wright

Donte Whitner (hell he could be in the list above)

Trent Edwards

Drew Bledsoe (great for 8 games but terrible afterwards)

I like Ronnie Harmon and he was a special player but the drop gets him on the list

Josh Reed - I don't know why I dislike him so much but then again do I really need a reason, oh look at that it is 2018 and he still has yet to break a tackle after the catch

It seems like it needs to be someone who wasn't just bad, but was around long enough to have a true negative impact. Plenty of guys sucked, but never played much, or were high picks that just were a waste. It feels too easy to pick a QB (Hobert barely played), because they are under the microscope and overanalyzed. 

Some criteria could be..

A high pick.

Maybe injured a lot.

Unpopular with the fans

Made serious game changing blunders.

Stuck around, and had significant playing time.

I think McCargo might be my pick.

9 hours ago, slipkid said:

Okay—I’ll throw in Gary Marangi and Percy Harvin, just for bait.

Wow forgot that guy! I remember there were corny Bills jokes going around in the 70s. One was "What do the Bills eat for desert?" Lemon Marangi Pie! Super corny I know....there were others....anyone remember?

10 hours ago, slipkid said:

Based upon draft position alone, I would go with . . . 

Mike Williams

Walt Putalski

Erik Flowers

and why not throw Tony Hunter in there, too.

...a pretty "impressive (COUGH) list"..................