Football cliches and phrases that commentators all seem to wear out!

5 minutes ago, October 1918 said:

Every !@#$ing time a defensive lineman bats down a pass: "He got the big paw up to knock that one down."

...because every guy on the field has hands... but defensive linemen have paws.  ?

(the bear analogy annoys the **** out of me)

Meh...that one's pretty weak.  The truth is most linemen do have pretty freaking large hands, and it's not as if "paws" is unheard of as a metaphor.

"Get your paws off me!"

On the other hand, when they say "mitts"...

One thing I can't stand anymore: whenever there is a turnover, and the other team responds by scoring on the ensuing drive, they ALWAYS switch the camera to the guy who made the turnover. Just lazy as ****. So !@#$ing predictable.

My big s***fit is the idiots using "trickeration" which is not a f***in word, instead of "trickery." I get pissed off, because it bastardizes the English language, where you can watch English sportscasters elevate the language with an EPL, British Open, or F1 telecast.

8 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

This should cover it

That's great.  That does indeed have just about every one of them.

I liked the back and forth regarding trading down for more picks versus mortgaging the future "to get our guy"...

Too bad the Bills F.O. didn't watch and consider this video prior to draft day.

Every year there's a different term that gets driven into the ground by the flapping heads on ESPN and every hack beat reporter. 

Not long ago it was "pitch count" for QBs recovering from injury which then spread to all players recovering from injury.  Will he be on a pitch count, should he be on a pitch count, would you put him on a pitch count? 

Before that "blind side" swept the league.  DEs were coming off the blind side, LTs were guarding the blind side, everyone had to be concerned about a QBs blind side because Ms. Congeniality won an Oscar.

Every offseason we get bludgeoned over the head with "smoke screen".  Buddy Nix farted in the shrimp bisque! Could it be a smoke screen???  Whaley got drunk and leaked the draft board.  Smoke screen or alcoholism?!?!?

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, eball said:

Yes, I mentioned this one above.  Drives me batty, particularly because there's no reason I can think of not to say it correctly.  Did "X team has scored the last 17 points" not work?  And if you want to get really creative you can say "X team has scored 17 [consecutive/straight] points" or "X team has scored 17 points in a row."

Who came up with the "unanswered" crap in the first place?  Death by firing squad would be too kind.

This.  Especially the last part.

my favourite announcers were Curt Gowdy (PBP) and Merlin Olsen (color) for the NFL

and it somehow into being the two worst of all time for useless cliches and nothing at all to say in Enberg and Dierdorf

Some of the over-used cliches on draft day.

"He's a work out warrior." 

"He's a student of the game."

"He's a high-character guy."

"He ran a __ __ __ __ in the 40 yard dash."

Non draft day cliche. "He just got caught up in the numbers game." (A usual reference to a 2nd stringer whose filling in for a starter and has made a good play or

two in a game.)

On July 9, 2018 at 6:10 PM, Jauronimo said:

Every year there's a different term that gets driven into the ground by the flapping heads on ESPN and every hack beat reporter. 

Not long ago it was "pitch count" for QBs recovering from injury which then spread to all players recovering from injury.  Will he be on a pitch count, should he be on a pitch count, would you put him on a pitch count? 

Before that "blind side" swept the league.  DEs were coming off the blind side, LTs were guarding the blind side, everyone had to be concerned about a QBs blind side because Ms. Congeniality won an Oscar.

Every offseason we get bludgeoned over the head with "smoke screen".  Buddy Nix farted in the shrimp bisque! Could it be a smoke screen???  Whaley got drunk and leaked the draft board.  Smoke screen or alcoholism?!?!?

This has me thinking about a good book title on the Bills organization over the decades.

Smoke Screen or Alcoholism: 

an Abbreviated History of the Buffalo Bills NFL Drafts, 1970-2018

On 7/8/2018 at 1:05 PM, thunderingsquid said:

Giving 110% 

When Madden was on MNF, he was talking about a player who graduated from college with a 4.4 GPA. (4.0 is a perfect GPA.) He said the kid took graduate classes as an undergrad, so that's the reason for the extra points. I was dying for him to say, "He LITERALLY gave 110%" but alas, math is not Madden's strong suit.

• Haha (+1) 1

I didn’t read every page so if this one was said, I apologize.  If it hasn’t been said, I’m shocked it took this long.  Anyways, the cliche that drives me up the wall and every single announcer says it all season, all off-season, every year.

”That’s the Patriot Way.”  That sentence drives me up the wall.  The Patriot Way is to have the best qb ever leading your team.  Period.  There’s no special formula, or roster building technique that no other team can figure out.  It’s having a generational qb, who can cover the other holes on the roster.  I really believe it’s that simple, but commentators push the whole idea that the patriots do things so differently and every team is trying to figure out how to be like them.