Football cliches and phrases that commentators all seem to wear out!

33 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Lots of stuff Chris Colinsworth says, just repeats the same stuff for every player.

He doesn’t comment on a play going to review and then announces that was how he saw it after it’s called

"Are you kidding me?"  Cris Collinsworth is good for that at least once a game.  More if the Packers are playing.  He's probably had entire conversations with Aaron Rogers where all he says is "Are you kidding me?" repeatedly.

And anything out of Jon Gruden's mouth.  Chucky's a walking encyclopedia of cliches.  Anything he says is a cliche...and if it's not (e.g. "spider 2 Y banana") he'll god damn make it one.

11 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

"Are you kidding me?"  Cris Collinsworth is good for that at least once a game.  More if the Packers are playing.  He's probably had entire conversations with Aaron Rogers where all he says is "Are you kidding me?" repeatedly.

And anything out of Jon Gruden's mouth.  Chucky's a walking encyclopedia of cliches.  Anything he says is a cliche...and if it's not (e.g. "spider 2 Y banana") he'll god damn make it one.

Gruden told us 25 players in every game he called were all time greatest ever

And screamed the most routine comoleted pass was the play of the decade, maybe of all time

"Threw into a crowd" and "threw it up for grabs"

Show some imagination, some creativity. How about "Threw into a mosh pit" or "giving out free beer"? Anything but the same old worn out shoes.

PS Gotta add "Future hall of famer". I don't even care that "famer" is not even a word. Just tired of it. So tired.

Edited by Mickey

7 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

"These guys are warriors..."

Uh, no they're not.  They're men getting back millions to play a game.  

A violent game?  Yes

Warriors?  No.

Marquette athletes aren’t warriors any more

12 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Not comments or phrases but shots of Niagara falls and chicken wings whenever the game is in Buffalo.

Throwing in a phone booth.

I'm sure most kids don't even know what a phone booth is nowadays.

Dont forever the metro rail

Two that gnaw at me incessantly:

1 -- Adding a plural to a player's name to describe that type of player.  "When you look at the Frank Gores of this league..." -- no, moron, there's only one.

2 -- Using the phrase "unanswered points" before a game (or half) is over.  I don't remember when this started but almost every announcer says it now and it's just lazy.

• Like (+1) 2