Tour de France 2018 starts today

Mr Info

I watched before Cheater Lance and I watch after him. I always assume the winner cheated, but I love the scenery and the action. It’s a travel show to me, with some action and the occasional pile-up. 

Edited by Augie

28 minutes ago, Augie said:

I watched before Cheater Lance and I watch after him. I always assume the winner cheated, but I love the scenery and the action. It’s a travel show to me, with some action and the occasional pile-up. 

I had a very long drive yesterday and picked up CBS sports radio along the way. Tiki (Barber) and Tierney (no idea) were on and they had Armstrong on as a guest. They slobbered all over his knob which is I suppose the only reason he agreed to go on.  In the very beginning Barber, I think, said how honored he was to be talking with Armstrong.  I quickly hit the scan button.

Edit...guy talking is named Berkowitz (no idea) and he's subbing for Tierney (whoever he is).

https://omny.fm/shows/tiki-and-tierney/lance-armstrong-retired-cyclist

Edited by Cripple Creek

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Agree.  I enjoy watching it b/c it's like 5 hours of live TV wandering around the French countryside for a few weeks.  Hard not to like that.

I also love how the camera crew, especially up in the helicopter, will always wander away from the peloton when something interesting presents itself.  They are not afraid to forget about the bike race and zoom in on the nearest castle, chateau, church, or cathedral, and actually stick with the shot for a while.

You have to assume that all the big names are cheating one way or the other anyway, so the guy who wins probably is the best.

I am sure all of Lance Armstrong's main competitors (Jan Ullrich and the like) were cheating just as much as he was, and yet Lance still kicked their asses, particularly on the climbs.  I think he had a drive/determination to be the best and would have been successful doing whatever he wanted in life.

He also skipped the annual bike racing tour to focus on the TDF solely, which undoubtedly helped him a lot.

I dislike Lance b/c he was a hypocrite, a psycho, and in total denial of his own illegal actions.  Dude is a scary individual, and not in a good way.  But he probably was the best cyclist of his era, cheating or not.

Edited by Fadingpain

10 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

I had a very long drive yesterday and picked up CBS sports radio along the way. Tiki (Barber) and Tierney (no idea) were on and they had Armstrong on as a guest. They slobbered all over his knob which is I suppose the only reason he agreed to go on.  In the very beginning Barber, I think, said how honored he was to be talking with Armstrong.  I quickly hit the scan button.

Edit...guy talking is named Berkowitz (no idea) and he's subbing for Tierney (whoever he is).

https://omny.fm/shows/tiki-and-tierney/lance-armstrong-retired-cyclist

This fella?

image-300x225.jpg

15 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I am sure all of Lance Armstrong's main competitors (Jan Ullrich and the like) were cheating just as much as he was, and yet Lance still kicked their asses, particularly on the climbs.  I think he had a drive/determination to be the best and would have been successful doing whatever he wanted in life.

He also skipped the annual bike racing tour to focus on the TDF solely, which undoubtedly helped him a lot.

I think he was just a better cheater with better technology at his disposal.    And maybe he skipped the rest of the tour just to avoid more drug tests.

I started watching the tour while I was in France in 1978.  It was great to watch on French TV, especially when you only had 3 channels.

20 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Agree.  I enjoy watching it b/c it's like 5 hours of live TV wandering around the French countryside for a few weeks.  Hard not to like that.

I also love how the camera crew, especially up in the helicopter, will always wander away from the peloton when something interesting presents itself.  They are not afraid to forget about the bike race and zoom in on the nearest castle, chateau, church, or cathedral, and actually stick with the shot for a while.

Heartily agree with this assessment. Have relatives in France so this sometimes assists in picking locations for vacation visits. 

The amazing physical condition of these guys, bike technology, weather and road condition strategy make for a compelling watch, imo. 

I bike a bit, too, though it is a bit humbling when comparing how my best efforts pale in comparison to their seemingly effortless cruise when the riders are chatting in the peleton.

I began watching because of Lance.  He cheated like most do in the sport.  I don't begrudge him for that.  He was unbelievable at his best.  

I have no respect for him because of what he did to his accusers.  Every bad thing that has befallen him is justly deserved.  He's a huge POS.   

2 hours ago, stony said:

I began watching because of Lance.  He cheated like most do in the sport.  I don't begrudge him for that.  He was unbelievable at his best.  

I have no respect for him because of what he did to his accusers.  Every bad thing that has befallen him is justly deserved.  He's a huge POS.   

Those two go hand in hand.

On 7/7/2018 at 3:51 PM, Fadingpain said:

In addition to the sprints and the climbs, they should add a day where they have to stop into a cafe for a baguette and some fromage, maybe a little champagne, before continuing. Make the show complete. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

...into a cafe for a baguette and some fromage, maybe a little champagne, before continuing. Make the show complete. 

Ok, now that you brought up fromage, I will relay a story. When visiting relatives in Corsica, they brought out fromage les habitants (cheese with residents). Difficult to find...you have to know somebody because illegal to sell in the EU so this has only occurred a couple of times. It’s similar to Casa Marzu in Italy and actually called casgiu merzu in Corsica. https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/casu-marzu-italy

It is cheese with live worms/maggots inside. It’s goat cheese but soft and the flavor reminded me of blue cheese. You would cut the oval into slices and wait for the worms to crawl out from the holes where they were aerating the cheese. It was a fun experience. The females would shriek and grimace when the whole serving process was performed and the worms wriggled out of the cheese. They would not touch it but the men would pick up the cheese and enjoy it on a baguette slice or cracker with a glass of wine.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Info said:

Ok, now that you brought up fromage, I will relay a story. When visiting relatives in Corsica, they brought out fromage les habitants (cheese with residents). Difficult to find...you have to know somebody because illegal to sell in the EU so this has only occurred a couple of times. It’s similar to Casa Marzu in Italy and actually called casgiu merzu in Corsica. https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/casu-marzu-italy

It is cheese with live worms/maggots inside. It’s goat cheese but soft and the flavor reminded me of blue cheese. You would cut the oval into slices and wait for the worms to crawl out from the holes where they were aerating the cheese. It was a fun experience. The females would shriek and grimace when the whole serving process was performed and the worms wriggled out of the cheese. They would not touch it but the men would pick up the cheese and enjoy it on a baguette slice or cracker with a glass of wine.

So, now I regret bringing up fromage!!! I would not have shrieked like the girls, because I would have been yakking on the table! Multi-tasking is difficult for me, so I’d focus on the yakking. Think of it as maggot focus, if you must. I have laser maggot focus! 

8 hours ago, Augie said:

In addition to the sprints and the climbs, they should add a day where they have to stop into a cafe for a baguette and some fromage, maybe a little champagne, before continuing. Make the show complete. 

TdF is broadcast on Eurosport over here. They have Jonathan Harris-Bass on their crew, who tweets out a recipe of the day type of thing based on the location of the stage.

I'm not the gourmet cooking type but some might find him interesting - @Jono_HB

Edited by Blokestradamus

Speaking of broadcasters...

One reason to watch the TDF (record the live morning shows to watch later) is the broadcasting team of Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen.

This duo is the best sports broadcasting team I know of in any sport.  Witty intelligence with a sense of humor, total technical understanding of the sport, and vast reserves of historical knowledge. 

Once you get to know them, you'll be tuning in just to hear their calls.

• Like (+1) 1

On July 8, 2018 at 7:04 AM, Greybeard said:

I think he was just a better cheater with better technology at his disposal.    And maybe he skipped the rest of the tour just to avoid more drug tests.

I started watching the tour while I was in France in 1978.  It was great to watch on French TV, especially when you only had 3 channels.

This is possible and why cheating with drugs kind of ruins sport.  We'll never know who was really the best or who just had the best witch's brew for doping. 

I am a big fan of Greg LeMond; everyone in the sport seems to agree that Greg never cheated.

LeMond points out that all the great cyclists in history, himself included, had "the big motor" meaning a freakish VO2 max number, or an ability to process oxygen.  LeMond's position has always been that you can't win the TDF without the huge motor.

Of note, as LeMond has pointed out, Lance Armstrong never had the big motor!  Apparently none of his VO2 numbers that are on record were ever considered particularly impressive when measured against the normal professional cyclist in the Tour.

However, using drugs to get an advantage and cycling go hand in hand.

Fausto Coppi and his contemporaries were doing it too, usually in the form of alcohol and amphetamines.

It wasn't illegal then! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

This is possible and why cheating with drugs kind of ruins sport.  We'll never know who was really the best or who just had the best witch's brew for doping. 

I am a big fan of Greg LeMond; everyone in the sport seems to agree that Greg never cheated.

LeMond points out that all the great cyclists in history, himself included, had "the big motor" meaning a freakish VO2 max number, or an ability to process oxygen.  LeMond's position has always been that you can't win the TDF without the huge motor.

Of note, as LeMond has pointed out, Lance Armstrong never had the big motor!  Apparently none of his VO2 numbers that are on record were ever considered particularly impressive when measured against the normal professional cyclist in the Tour.

However, using drugs to get an advantage and cycling go hand in hand.

Fausto Coppi and his contemporaries were doing it too, usually in the form of alcohol and amphetamines.

It wasn't illegal then! 

Thanks for the info.  I have never heard about the VO2 numbers.   Did they have any for Merckx or Hinault?