WR battle... most significant position battle going into TC???

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I've been reading every OTA and Minicamp practice report from the media. Ray Ray and Proehl have been covered significantly more as making plays than Reilly or Dupree. 

Funny, every report I read Definately spoke highly of Dupre. Maybe not Reilly, but Dupre has shined by all accounts. Also, I believe the rookies have had more attempts just to the nature of OTA's and McBeane just trying to see what they have. I think training camp will right the ship, so to speak, and the rookies will be behind the 2nd year players. Earn the right to compete is what they preach, and I don't have any reason to think they are just preaching without that conviction

37 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Funny, every report I read Definately spoke highly of Dupre. Maybe not Reilly, but Dupre has shined by all accounts. Also, I believe the rookies have had more attempts just to the nature of OTA's and McBeane just trying to see what they have. I think training camp will right the ship, so to speak, and the rookies will be behind the 2nd year players. Earn the right to compete is what they preach, and I don't have any reason to think they are just preaching without that conviction

What reports are you reading?

Dupre was receiving some praise in OTAs, almost none in Minicamp. There was reportedly some kind of injury around the end of OTAs, so maybe he just didn't get much work in Minicamp.

About the only mention you hear of Reilly is that he got 1st team reps, but you also heard that most of the other WRs were rotated in with the 1st team, but KB and Kerley are entrenched there.

By the end of OTAs and into Minicamp, you hear a lot more of Ray Ray, Proehl, and Foster making an impact. If you're considering Dupre and Reilly favorites simply because they're 2nd year guys, despite seeing very very very little action as rookies, Foster probably evens out and cancels that advantage having worked under Dabol last year at Alabama.

On 7/7/2018 at 8:17 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

I'm going to use this as an opportunity to make an quick observation about the state of the board and our times in general.

Posters on this message board (and in society in general) aren't willing to look past headlines if they aren't happy with them or disagree with what they think they say.

It's happening plenty in this thread and here's a good example of it. You didn't have to go look for that scouting report on Proehl. I posted it and copied and pasted the excerpt you posted and more.

Wait a minute.  I looked up a bunch of scouting reports on Proehl and quoted an excerpt because

1) Maybe I stopped reading your post because of all the small-screen unfriendly large-type text halfway down and the unfriendly formatting

or

2) Maybe I read it, and I chose to highlight a particular section of a particular scouting report that seemed particularly relevant to the particular post to which I was responding, after doing my own research on multiple scouting reports.

And you're claiming that's a "good example" of people not being willing to look past headlines if they aren't happy with or disagree with them?
Seriously?  SERIOUSLY? 

Dude.  Someone does research and makes a football relevant post on a football relevant thread, topical to that thread even, and you're calling them out - not just directing attention to your post that contained that info and more, but calling them out as a "good example" of how people don't look past headlines if they aren't happy or disagree with them?

Methinks you illustrated a "good example" all right, but I don't think it's the example you think you're illustrating. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wait a minute.  I looked up a bunch of scouting reports on Proehl and quoted an excerpt because

1) Maybe I stopped reading your post because of all the small-screen unfriendly large-type text halfway down and the unfriendly formatting

or

2) Maybe I read it, and I chose to highlight a particular section of a particular scouting report that seemed particularly relevant to the particular post to which I was responding, after doing my own research on multiple scouting reports.

And you're claiming that's a "good example" of people not being willing to look past headlines if they aren't happy with or disagree with them?
Seriously?  SERIOUSLY? 

Dude.  Someone does research and makes a football relevant post on a football relevant thread, topical to that thread even, and you're calling them out - not just directing attention to your post that contained that info and more, but calling them out as a "good example" of how people don't look past headlines if they aren't happy or disagree with them?

Methinks you illustrated a "good example" all right, but I don't think it's the example you think you're illustrating. 

I'm disappointed this is how you felt you needed to respond. 

If you felt offended, I guess I understand the reason, and I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. I respect you as a poster and a mod.

What I made was a pretty objective observation without the harsh, inflammatory language or euphemisms that flood this board and escalate spats.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

10 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

What reports are you reading?

Dupre was receiving some praise in OTAs, almost none in Minicamp. There was reportedly some kind of injury around the end of OTAs, so maybe he just didn't get much work in Minicamp.

About the only mention you hear of Reilly is that he got 1st team reps, but you also heard that most of the other WRs were rotated in with the 1st team, but KB and Kerley are entrenched there.

By the end of OTAs and into Minicamp, you hear a lot more of Ray Ray, Proehl, and Foster making an impact. If you're considering Dupre and Reilly favorites simply because they're 2nd year guys, despite seeing very very very little action as rookies, Foster probably evens out and cancels that advantage having worked under Dabol last year at Alabama.

I read the same reports as everyone else. That said, you're crazy if you think Foster evens out or cancels Anything just because he was coached by Daboll last year....

Dupre and Reilly will be ahead of McCloud, Proehl and Foster on the roster

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I'm disappointed this is how you felt you needed to respond. 

If you felt offended, I guess I understand the reason, and I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. I respect you as a poster and a mod.

What I made was a pretty objective observation without the harsh, inflammatory language or euphemisms that flood this board and escalate spats.

I give you credit for avoiding insults and inflammatory rhetoric, and I thank you for the kind words.  But there are enough off-topic posts and thread drift that it's incredibly disappointing to see someone decide to respond to an on-topic, football-related, relevant to the thread! post as you did.

That word "objective" may have a different meaning than you believe, because I don't think it characterizes your response - which seems totally out in left field to what I originally posted.  At best, to describe a post about a WR as a "good example" of how "Posters on this message board (and in society in general) aren't willing to look past headlines if they aren't happy with them or disagree with what they think they say" seems bizarre.

The Bills need to find a guy from the young bucks to step up..... Reilly, Dupree, RayRay, Proehl, Foster, Phillips etc.  One of those needs to play well enough that this time next year they are pencilled in as a pretty certain roster guy. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Bills need to find a guy from the young bucks to step up..... Reilly, Dupree, RayRay, Proehl, Foster, Phillips etc.  One of those needs to play well enough that this time next year they are pencilled in as a pretty certain roster guy. 

Two would be nice.

I've had the thought that Beane's model of how to develop a WR may fall along the Pittsburgh Steelers storied "linebacker U" model of past decades, where they hope to look for rough gems in the 3-5th rounds or later/UDFA, bring a bunch of 'em in, stash the best on the PS or ST their first year, then work them into the starting lineup in years 2-4. 

The thing is,

1) linebacker U stopped working as effectively for the Steelers with FA.  You get a late round guy you hope to have starting by year 3, he plays for you 1-2 good years and looks for a big payday - and he'll get one.  It basically makes you a farm team to develop talent that other teams then exploit (sort of like some team we know has been doing *cough*)

2) I'm not sure it's ever really worked as well for WR, and not sure why.  Scanning through the top 10 WR last year, Antonio Brown and Thielen are the outliers and 2016 was Thielen's breakout season at age 26 (3rd year in the league).  Maybe because a good linebacker who is "doing his job" but not generating flashy stats like sacks, can pass under the radar and be re-signed, but a WR who is racking up catches and yards gets signed away?

4 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

I read the same reports as everyone else. That said, you're crazy if you think Foster evens out or cancels Anything just because he was coached by Daboll last year....

Dupre and Reilly will be ahead of McCloud, Proehl and Foster on the roster

Here. These are the progressive observations of Joe Buscaglia from OTAs to Minicamp in terms of plays made and/or relatively extensive discussion of level of play for the 5 WRs we're talking about. These are from his "7 observations" notes he always puts up.

OTAs Week 1

7) Two unheralded WRs stand out

a pair of receivers that stood out to me on Thursday was Malachi Dupre and Quan Bray. Dupre might be the name you recognize more, seeing as how he was on the Bills practice squad for most of 2017, and then called up near the end of the season. Dupre rotated in with the first-team offense quite a bit, and his speed and route running is natural to see on the field. I'm quite interested to see how he does with such a clear opportunity. Bray was a bit of a surprise for me. Admittedly, I did not know much about him heading into the OTAs, but he took advantage of his opportunities as the second-team offense slot receiver, consistently gaining separation and finding the weak areas over the middle of the field. There's still a long time to go between now and the time when the 53-man rosters are due, but of all the unknowns today on the field, he caught my eye the most of anyone.

OTAs Week 2

7) Potential punt returners identified

I saw four players -- all of which wide receivers -- take turns fielding punts. The group included Kaelin Clay, Austin Proehl, Jeremy Kerley, and Ray-Ray McCloud. Of the four, I might give the edge to McCloud at this point because he was the earliest drafted by this regime, and we've seen him have the ability while at Clemson. Still, this is a wide-open competition as training camp opens up in late July.

OTAs Week 3

7) Undrafted wideout showing some progress

So far Malachi Dupre has done a great job with some extended opportunities on the first-team offense, but a hamstring injury kept him on the sidelines on Thursday. That has allowed more reps to other players, and one that caught my eye for all the right reasons on Thursday was undrafted rookie Robert Foster. Now it helps his case early on for the 6-foot-2, 196-pound Foster that he spent all last year at Alabama with current Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll. However, he's showing off a polished ability to run routes and is getting some opportunity with both the first and second-team offense in spots. While it's early yet and spring workouts have been known to fool people, especially at wide receiver, you can see the coaching staff starting to form some trust with Foster. As is always the case with wide receivers, you never honestly get a gauge on them until the pads go on in training camp and things get a bit more physical. It's been a solid start for Foster, though.

Minicamp Day 1

3) Bills give more significant workload to Robert Foster

Last week I wrote about Robert Foster as a potential under-the-radar type to keep an eye on at wide receiver, and he was working in more and more with the top two units during Tuesday's practice. Now, there are some injuries that the Bills are dealing with at wide receiver at the current moment, but Foster has also been getting that time with the top unit ahead of the likes of some receivers that are perceived to have a better shot at making the roster -- namely, Rod Streater. With the extended time, Foster made some mistakes along the way. He dropped a couple of passes that needed to be caught -- one of which was a perfect throw from Nathan Peterman on an out route in which the receiver roasted the cornerback. He also fell on a route that the quarterback targeted for a potential first-down pickup. Even though he didn't have his best on Tuesday, the Bills are happy with what he's done to this point considering who he played ahead of to start minicamp.

7) Ray-Ray McCloud shows some zip, but also shows some rookie
The wide receiver group has continued to be one of the more compelling things to track this spring because everything is still up in the air. It's given some opportunities to players like Robert Foster, and also allowed one of their rookie wideouts to get some key on-the-job experience this summer. To this point, between the wide receiver draft picks Ray-Ray McCloud and Austin Proehl, I've been most impressed with McCloud. He's gotten some reps as a punt returner and shows some natural acceleration in and out of his breaks during route running. McCloud is a bit on the smaller side, but he's intriguing enough for them to think there could be something there to build on. 

Minicamp Day 2

2) Peterman outplays McCarron once again

He gunned in a touchdown to Austin Proehl in the back of the end zone, and had a pretty pass that he dropped into a bucket on a deep pass to Robert Foster.

4) Proehl flashes ability

So far a mini-battle has ensued between the two receivers the Bills selected, McCloud and Proehl, because of their similar builds. McCloud has had the upper hand for most of the workouts we've seen, but Proehl's route running and ability to finish a play made some waves at practice. Proehl first displayed his solid footwork during rookie minicamp, but he's faded to the background a bit since -- that is until Wednesday rolled around. Proehl's toe-tapping touchdown was incredibly impressive, considering his room for error was slim. The throw was one that he had to go up for, and his body positioning made it seem like he'd have to make an impressive play to get his feet in bounds. He secured the catch, and when he came down with the ball, planted his one foot so he could gather his other one well enough to drag it through the end zone. Those are the types of plays that get you noticed in practices like these.

7) A two-man kick return battle?

While the Bills have been using four players to return punts through out the spring workouts, we haven't seen much regarding kick return. That changed on Wednesday, and despite having players like Kaelin Clay and Ray-Ray McCloud, the Bills had only two players back returning kicks: running backs Taiwan Jones and Travaris Cadet. Those two players are likely in a battle for one roster spot this summer, and a big piece of the equation will be if one can outplay the other with that role. As for Clay and McCloud, they were on the kick return team, only as the next line up from the primary return men. For now, it's a two-man show.

Minicamp Day 3

1) Allen ends it on a high note

Rookie wide receiver Austin Proehl, who Allen has developed severe chemistry with this spring, hit the right seam hard and Allen spotted him immediately. Allen put the ball on the money and in stride about 20-to-25 yards down the field, and there was enough distance between Proehl and the safety -- and of course, the cornerback that he beat -- for him to scoot up the field for all 70 yards and into the end zone. 

6) Don't take too much out of the WR rotations -- except for two things

Throughout all six practices that the media was able to see, there is only one way to describe the wide receiver rotation: helter-skelter. Every single receiver on the roster, at least at some point, worked with the first, second, and third-team offense to maximize opportunities, and so the coaches could see who could play in different situations. It's always easier to highlight the younger players because they are, the flashier ones, but just like Austin Proehl, Brandon Reilly, Malachi Dupre, and Robert Foster got time with the first-team, so did Rod Streater, Kaelin Clay, and Andre Holmes. The Bills were just on a fact-finding mission this spring without Zay Jones available to practice. The only two constants, Kelvin Benjamin is locked in as a starter on the outside, and it appeared Jeremy Kerley had a pretty firm grasp on the first-team work as the slot receiver. Other than that, everything was up for grabs -- and it'll be interesting to see how they handle it once Zay Jones can practice in full.

Just note the lack of Reilly and the progression of Proehl, McCloud and Foster in that discussion.

You're crazy if you think Dupre and Reilly have that much of a leg up on those guys at this point.

46 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Here. These are the progressive observations of Joe Buscaglia from OTAs to Minicamp in terms of plays made and/or relatively extensive discussion of level of play for the 5 WRs we're talking about. These are from his "7 observations" notes he always puts up.

OTAs Week 1

7) Two unheralded WRs stand out

a pair of receivers that stood out to me on Thursday was Malachi Dupre and Quan Bray. Dupre might be the name you recognize more, seeing as how he was on the Bills practice squad for most of 2017, and then called up near the end of the season. Dupre rotated in with the first-team offense quite a bit, and his speed and route running is natural to see on the field. I'm quite interested to see how he does with such a clear opportunity. Bray was a bit of a surprise for me. Admittedly, I did not know much about him heading into the OTAs, but he took advantage of his opportunities as the second-team offense slot receiver, consistently gaining separation and finding the weak areas over the middle of the field. There's still a long time to go between now and the time when the 53-man rosters are due, but of all the unknowns today on the field, he caught my eye the most of anyone.

OTAs Week 2

7) Potential punt returners identified

I saw four players -- all of which wide receivers -- take turns fielding punts. The group included Kaelin Clay, Austin Proehl, Jeremy Kerley, and Ray-Ray McCloud. Of the four, I might give the edge to McCloud at this point because he was the earliest drafted by this regime, and we've seen him have the ability while at Clemson. Still, this is a wide-open competition as training camp opens up in late July.

OTAs Week 3

7) Undrafted wideout showing some progress

So far Malachi Dupre has done a great job with some extended opportunities on the first-team offense, but a hamstring injury kept him on the sidelines on Thursday. That has allowed more reps to other players, and one that caught my eye for all the right reasons on Thursday was undrafted rookie Robert Foster. Now it helps his case early on for the 6-foot-2, 196-pound Foster that he spent all last year at Alabama with current Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll. However, he's showing off a polished ability to run routes and is getting some opportunity with both the first and second-team offense in spots. While it's early yet and spring workouts have been known to fool people, especially at wide receiver, you can see the coaching staff starting to form some trust with Foster. As is always the case with wide receivers, you never honestly get a gauge on them until the pads go on in training camp and things get a bit more physical. It's been a solid start for Foster, though.

Minicamp Day 1

3) Bills give more significant workload to Robert Foster

Last week I wrote about Robert Foster as a potential under-the-radar type to keep an eye on at wide receiver, and he was working in more and more with the top two units during Tuesday's practice. Now, there are some injuries that the Bills are dealing with at wide receiver at the current moment, but Foster has also been getting that time with the top unit ahead of the likes of some receivers that are perceived to have a better shot at making the roster -- namely, Rod Streater. With the extended time, Foster made some mistakes along the way. He dropped a couple of passes that needed to be caught -- one of which was a perfect throw from Nathan Peterman on an out route in which the receiver roasted the cornerback. He also fell on a route that the quarterback targeted for a potential first-down pickup. Even though he didn't have his best on Tuesday, the Bills are happy with what he's done to this point considering who he played ahead of to start minicamp.

7) Ray-Ray McCloud shows some zip, but also shows some rookie
The wide receiver group has continued to be one of the more compelling things to track this spring because everything is still up in the air. It's given some opportunities to players like Robert Foster, and also allowed one of their rookie wideouts to get some key on-the-job experience this summer. To this point, between the wide receiver draft picks Ray-Ray McCloud and Austin Proehl, I've been most impressed with McCloud. He's gotten some reps as a punt returner and shows some natural acceleration in and out of his breaks during route running. McCloud is a bit on the smaller side, but he's intriguing enough for them to think there could be something there to build on. 

Minicamp Day 2

2) Peterman outplays McCarron once again

He gunned in a touchdown to Austin Proehl in the back of the end zone, and had a pretty pass that he dropped into a bucket on a deep pass to Robert Foster.

4) Proehl flashes ability

So far a mini-battle has ensued between the two receivers the Bills selected, McCloud and Proehl, because of their similar builds. McCloud has had the upper hand for most of the workouts we've seen, but Proehl's route running and ability to finish a play made some waves at practice. Proehl first displayed his solid footwork during rookie minicamp, but he's faded to the background a bit since -- that is until Wednesday rolled around. Proehl's toe-tapping touchdown was incredibly impressive, considering his room for error was slim. The throw was one that he had to go up for, and his body positioning made it seem like he'd have to make an impressive play to get his feet in bounds. He secured the catch, and when he came down with the ball, planted his one foot so he could gather his other one well enough to drag it through the end zone. Those are the types of plays that get you noticed in practices like these.

7) A two-man kick return battle?

While the Bills have been using four players to return punts through out the spring workouts, we haven't seen much regarding kick return. That changed on Wednesday, and despite having players like Kaelin Clay and Ray-Ray McCloud, the Bills had only two players back returning kicks: running backs Taiwan Jones and Travaris Cadet. Those two players are likely in a battle for one roster spot this summer, and a big piece of the equation will be if one can outplay the other with that role. As for Clay and McCloud, they were on the kick return team, only as the next line up from the primary return men. For now, it's a two-man show.

Minicamp Day 3

1) Allen ends it on a high note

Rookie wide receiver Austin Proehl, who Allen has developed severe chemistry with this spring, hit the right seam hard and Allen spotted him immediately. Allen put the ball on the money and in stride about 20-to-25 yards down the field, and there was enough distance between Proehl and the safety -- and of course, the cornerback that he beat -- for him to scoot up the field for all 70 yards and into the end zone. 

6) Don't take too much out of the WR rotations -- except for two things

Throughout all six practices that the media was able to see, there is only one way to describe the wide receiver rotation: helter-skelter. Every single receiver on the roster, at least at some point, worked with the first, second, and third-team offense to maximize opportunities, and so the coaches could see who could play in different situations. It's always easier to highlight the younger players because they are, the flashier ones, but just like Austin Proehl, Brandon Reilly, Malachi Dupre, and Robert Foster got time with the first-team, so did Rod Streater, Kaelin Clay, and Andre Holmes. The Bills were just on a fact-finding mission this spring without Zay Jones available to practice. The only two constants, Kelvin Benjamin is locked in as a starter on the outside, and it appeared Jeremy Kerley had a pretty firm grasp on the first-team work as the slot receiver. Other than that, everything was up for grabs -- and it'll be interesting to see how they handle it once Zay Jones can practice in full.

Just note the lack of Reilly and the progression of Proehl, McCloud and Foster in that discussion.

You're crazy if you think Dupre and Reilly have that much of a leg up on those guys at this point.

Thanks. Already read all that. And to my point, sounds like Dupre is looking good/consistent. While Ray Ray has made some rookie moves. I don't know if you think this is supposed to prove your point to me, but I think it more proves mine to you. Rookies are rookies playing like rookies. Foster has had moments but still playing inconsistently. It is what it is....minicamp. Don't mean much for another few weeks. At which point we'll likely sort it out better. My opinion as of now is out of Foster,Proehl, and McCloud, one MAY make the roster for primarily ST, and one PS. And of Reilly and Dupre, one or both make the team, and depending on this year's crop, one maybe to PS as well.

I've read every report, and this is my opinion.I never said anything about "that much of a leg up", but I do in fact believe they have the advantage. We're talking about 6-7 round picks this year with an UDRFA, compared to a 7th rounder and UDRFA from last year who have seemingly improved over the course of a year in the league. My money's on last year's guys with the exception of a return man/ ST'er from this year

No Holmes love?  I thought he played pretty well last year.  Caught the tip ball from Zay in the EZ. Seems to be adept at catching footballs on the boundary.  Not great, but pretty solid when the football is thrown to him.  Won't be surprised if he makes the team and contributes again this year.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000868778/Andre-Holmes-beats-the-coverage-drags-his-feet-to-nab-first-down

On 7/7/2018 at 8:32 PM, billsfan_34 said:

Do many dropsies last season- many were routine catches. Lets hope his head is on straight this year.

most of them. it was painful to watch, for us and himself. No wonder  he turned to drugs and bizarre behaviour.
Lets us pray he can put his demons behind him and move up to his damnable draft status  ☹️ as Bills moved up for him.

Edited by 3rdand12
added a possessive s
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

most of them. it was painful to watch, for us and himself. No wonder  he turned to drugs and bizarre behaviour.
Lets us pray he can put his demons behind him and move up to his damnable draft status  ☹️ as Bills moved up for him.

Maybe the Bills can get him a 'brain coach' like Kirk Cousins has so he can sleep better without chemicals and boost his testosterone levels

Kidding/Not.Kidding

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

No Holmes love?  I thought he played pretty well last year.  Caught the tip ball from Zay in the EZ. Seems to be adept at catching footballs on the boundary.  Not great, but pretty solid when the football is thrown to him.  Won't be surprised if he makes the team and contributes again this year.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000868778/Andre-Holmes-beats-the-coverage-drags-his-feet-to-nab-first-down

I think Holmes will make the roster. I am not a huge fan but I think they see him as a core special teamer who can be a backend of the roster WR. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Holmes will make the roster. I am not a huge fan but I think they see him as a core special teamer who can be a backend of the roster WR. 

You may be right, but I would like to see them improve the roster each year. Not settle, nor base it on hope : )

Edited by 3rdand12
add an h

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Holmes will make the roster. I am not a huge fan but I think they see him as a core special teamer who can be a backend of the roster WR

Of course for this to happen we have to find a couple more "frontend" guys.  Really, at the moment we only have one who hopefully can stay healthy this year (KB),

5 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

You may be right, but I would like to see tem improve the roster each year. Not settle, nor base it on hope : )

I agree.  however the time to do that was either in the draft or FA. We pretty much gotta roll with what we got now.  WR after last year was a glaring hole that Beane decided not to address in any real way,