WR battle... most significant position battle going into TC???

I posted earlier.  Spot 3-8 for WR are all the same +/- some return abilities.  None of them really matter for this offense.  And none of them are any better than a street FA.

The most critical position group with the most uncertainty id the OL.  Can Miller play at a high level. Can Ducasse play as well as he did down the stretch.  Who the hell is going to be center?  There are question marks at all 5 spots on the line.  This is of far greater concern than if Zay or Streeter is the # 2 to KB.

11 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

Honestly, the Ray Ray and Proehl picks were the only ones that baffled me in The McBeane era thus far. With Reilly, Dupre,etc already on the roster, it seemed like wasted picks IMO. I mean, if you are taking a flier on someone that late, with an already full(albeit unimpressive) position room, you should draft on pure physical ability. Size, speed, elusiveness....drafting two small receivers, with questionable consistency is just confusing. Ray Ray is quick enough but Proehl is not. I'm not sure either make the team, or even the P.S.

It's not like McBeane view Dupre or Reilly as sure things considering their lack of regular season action last year. Gotta believe Ray Ray and Proehl were BPA so late in the draft. And thus far it sounds like both of the latter are outperforming both of the former.

12 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

Honestly, the Ray Ray and Proehl picks were the only ones that baffled me in The McBeane era thus far. With Reilly, Dupre,etc already on the roster, it seemed like wasted picks IMO. I mean, if you are taking a flier on someone that late, with an already full(albeit unimpressive) position room, you should draft on pure physical ability. Size, speed, elusiveness....drafting two small receivers, with questionable consistency is just confusing. Ray Ray is quick enough but Proehl is not. I'm not sure either make the team, or even the P.S.

I actually like Proehl.  Thought reports had him doing pretty well in rookie minicamp and OTAs.  He seems like he might have some physical abilities the combine doesn't do much job of measuring - the ability to fake out defenders and get himself open.  If he's gritty enough, I think he has a shot to become one of those slippery little b*@@ers who somehow manage to turn "nothing" into a 5-8 yd gain.  Found this scouting report on Draft Analyst:

" Small but incredibly quick receiver who plays much faster than his 40 time. Fluidly releases off the line of scrimmage, sells routes and can turn it on in a single step. Displays a deep burst, easily makes receptions in stride down the field and displays focus and concentration. Comes back to the ball, adjusts to errant throws and consistently snatches passes away from his frame. Possesses quick, strong hands. "

Ray-ray puzzles me, except I think they see him as a swiss-army-knife kind of guy.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I actually like Proehl.  Thought reports had him doing pretty well in rookie minicamp and OTAs.  He seems like he might have some physical abilities the combine doesn't do much job of measuring - the ability to fake out defenders and get himself open.  If he's gritty enough, I think he has a shot to become one of those slippery little b*@@ers who somehow manage to turn "nothing" into a 5-8 yd gain.

Ray-ray puzzles me, except I think they see him as a swiss-army-knife kind of guy.

Agree on both. Also think that the worry@WR is mostly due to people not being familiar with the players. The underdogs will over achieve me thinks.

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Didn't say the most important, he referenced "overlooked" and I was just saying the WR battle is probably the 2nd most talked about battle behind QB, so was just confused by the user of the words "most overlooked"

Changed it to most significant :thumbsup:

I write titles after the post itself, so if it's a longer post sometimes I'll use a word that would be better as another word because by that time, I'm just done.

Forget overlooked, I meant significant. 

5 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Agree on both. Also think that the worry@WR is mostly due to people not being familiar with the players. The underdogs will over achieve me thinks.

I don't know if they'll over-achieve or not.

If Zay turns out to be who we thought we drafted, Benjamin returns to his previous form, and Kerley still has something in his 30 year old tank, we might be OK.

But there's a lot of "if"ing there

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think it'll be Benjamin, Jones, Kerley, Holmes, Streater, McCloud, and Proehl. 

I also think it's not that bad of a group. Could it be better? Obviously, but I think Benjamin can be an average-to-good WR1, and although I cannot say Jones is a bona fide WR2, I'm not sure we need one, and I think in Jones, Kerley, Holmes, and Streater, we have four average-to-good WR3-4s.

This offense can still run efficiently with a WR-by-committee approach and a strong supporting running attack. Whoever the QB ends up being, he can get to 4,000 yards with Benjamin getting 1,000, and C. Clay and Kerley getting 600 apiece, and McCoy and Jones getting 400 apiece, and Ivory, Cadet, O'Leary, Holmes, Streater, McCloud, and Proehl combining for 1,000. That's not outside the realm of possibility at all. 

Plus, just on size match-up alone, Benjamin, Jones, Holmes, and Streater make for a fairly daunting red zone crew. 

I honestly think the offensive line and quarterback play have a higher chance of holding us back this year. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It's not like McBeane view Dupre or Reilly as sure things considering their lack of regular season action last year. Gotta believe Ray Ray and Proehl were BPA so late in the draft. And thus far it sounds like both of the latter are outperforming both of the former.

I don't think, or have heard anything of the sort. The best I can tell is that they like both Reilly and Dupre. Both have improved and have paid some dues, unlike the rookies whom to this point have not "earned the right to compete" yet. I take McD for his word...he likes experience. Both Dupre and Reilly are better prospects, IMO, with a year under their belts. Gonna be hard for two 5'9" rookies to beat them out

33 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If Zay turns out to be who we thought we drafted, Benjamin returns to his previous form, and Kerley still has something in his 30 year old tank, we might be OK.

My point exactly.  Lots of unknowns. Including who will command the ship behind center 

47 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I actually like Proehl.  Thought reports had him doing pretty well in rookie minicamp and OTAs.  He seems like he might have some physical abilities the combine doesn't do much job of measuring - the ability to fake out defenders and get himself open.  If he's gritty enough, I think he has a shot to become one of those slippery little b*@@ers who somehow manage to turn "nothing" into a 5-8 yd gain.  Found this scouting report on Draft Analyst:

" Small but incredibly quick receiver who plays much faster than his 40 time. Fluidly releases off the line of scrimmage, sells routes and can turn it on in a single step. Displays a deep burst, easily makes receptions in stride down the field and displays focus and concentration. Comes back to the ball, adjusts to errant throws and consistently snatches passes away from his frame. Possesses quick, strong hands. "

I agree. I like Proehl better. But, they are BOTH just too small and have an uphill battle. Hell, I'd rather have Foster than Ray Ray. Faster, bigger,and not a gimmick guy. If Proehl is half the man his Dad was, practice squad

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I actually like Proehl.  Thought reports had him doing pretty well in rookie minicamp and OTAs.  He seems like he might have some physical abilities the combine doesn't do much job of measuring - the ability to fake out defenders and get himself open.  If he's gritty enough, I think he has a shot to become one of those slippery little b*@@ers who somehow manage to turn "nothing" into a 5-8 yd gain. Found this scouting report on Draft Analyst:

I'm going to use this as an opportunity to make an quick observation about the state of the board and our times in general.

Posters on this message board (and in society in general) aren't willing to look past headlines if they aren't happy with them or disagree with what they think they say.

It's happening plenty in this thread and here's a good example of it. You didn't have to go look for that scouting report on Proehl. I posted it and copied and pasted the excerpt you posted and more.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It doesn't take a lot to do it, but I think we'll be better than last year just with a healthy Benjamin at WR alone.

On 7/7/2018 at 12:57 PM, TigerJ said:

I'd be curious to see an expert opinion about what weaknesses can be coached up in receivers, and what can't (besides the obvious - speed).

I would think nearly everything. and speed is relative. Acceleration off the snap and then out of the route break and then a second gear.

I might think the ability to change speed as needed is underrated.

reading the profiles of the Wide receivers Buffalo has showed each had multiple skills.

Lets hope the the New WRs Coach can do better than last years ?

Edited by 3rdand12

On 7/7/2018 at 1:50 PM, BuffAlone said:

McBeane love vets. And by all accounts he looked great before injury last year

yep. Just needs his health to be useful . 

18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree that Proehl may surprise some of us with his play and make the team. 

Not just a favor to his Pops bringing him in.

21 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

I don't think, or have heard anything of the sort. The best I can tell is that they like both Reilly and Dupre. Both have improved and have paid some dues, unlike the rookies whom to this point have not "earned the right to compete" yet. I take McD for his word...he likes experience. Both Dupre and Reilly are better prospects, IMO, with a year under their belts. Gonna be hard for two 5'9" rookies to beat them out

I've been reading every OTA and Minicamp practice report from the media. Ray Ray and Proehl have been covered significantly more as making plays than Reilly or Dupree.