NFL will penalize a team 15 yards for clearing away snow before any kick

8 hours ago, Virgil said:

As long as they do it within the play clock, who cares?  

This doesn’t make a lot of sense to me 

Agreed. Or use a timeout so it costs something for the time to do it. No reason it should be illegal to do though- just don’t grant special circumstances for or against it.

12 hours ago, Steve Billieve said:

I'm looking forward to it.  I think it will create some interesting and unconventional decisions.

Plus it should give our kickers an advantage, as they'll have more opportunities to practice.

Hypothetically, the offense has the ball on fourth down at the ten yard line.  That makes for roughly a 27-28 yard field goal attempt.  They clear the snow, but that moves the ball back to the 25.  Now you've got a 42-43 yard attempt.  The problem is the ground is still snow covered at the new spot of the ball.  So, can a team plan ahead and clear the ground at the 42-43 yard line area without a penalty, then take a penalty for clearing snow at the 17-18 yard line so they have a clear spot for their long snapper to place the ball after they've been penalized?

Or, since there are enough players to do it, perhaps they could clear both spots at the same time, since the NFL only ever enforces one penalty when the same team commits more than one infraction.    In any case, this creates all kinds of "interesting" possibilities.

Edited by TigerJ
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Build a retractable dome, El Pegual

I wonder how much of a cluster f*** the NFL would make out of rules for how / if / when the dome would be opened / closed.  Doesn't MLB have some dizzy and arcane rules regarding this type of facility?  The NFL would probably find a way to 'one up' the situation.

13 hours ago, Steve Billieve said:

I'm looking forward to it.  I think it will create some interesting and unconventional decisions.

Plus it should give our kickers an advantage, as they'll have more opportunities to practice.

Really?  Please explain...

I like the one comment I saw that asked who will be the first one send out a cleaning crew and have them clean a spot 15 yards back and then take the penalty...some of you are acting crazy on this safety crap, maybe they should have a guy sweeping the snow away from every player on every play to keep them safe...just as much chance to hurt themselves rushing the QB in that snow as the kicker has

Wow if this is for the ground crew, could you imagine?

Bills v Patriots in Buffalo. Bills down by 1 at the 20. Last second FG and out comes a ground crew guy. Turns out he was born in Boston and has a FB page with Pats all over it. Maybe even a photo of him talking to BB before the game.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, mikemac2001 said:

I felt like it was over the top the way the colts were doing it. It’s like they had 5 mins it was so stupid 

Absolutely. They definitely crossed the line. Hence why they made the rule.

If you have a challenge left and this FG may make a difference in winning game I thought coaches should challenge the spot to give players to clear snow.  In snow games this is why sometimes calling a timeout to jinx the kicker is a bad thing - it gives team time to clear snow.

Will wait and see what actually results of rule change are before commenting more.

Edited by Limeaid
typo

3 hours ago, cd1 said:

Really?  Please explain...

Our kicker will have more opportunities to practice in different types of weather.  If this doesn't actually improve his ability to kick off of snow it should at least give him a better sense of what his limits or chances are from certain distances.

Personally I think a little practice would improve their chances quite a bit.

Although I guess its a nonissue.

3 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Really? In the Colts game last year i seem to remember both sides doing it on every attempt...

A common practice where kicking team players gather together to clear a space for the kicker to boot a field goal with their shoes is still legal. This rule just prohibits non-players from assisting the kicker in this way.