Spiritual Practice? Meditation?

Logic

Brought up Catholic so I really had no say in going to Church, it was forced on me.  I waivered with the Church in opinion a bit but still make Church.  Hey it’s only 50-55 mins a week and only a few mins from my house.

I find going to confession helps as well even though it’s not practiced much.  It’s anonymous and admitting and owning I’m a flawed individual is helpful

On 7/6/2018 at 7:14 PM, Logic said:

Howdy folks.

Maybe I'm way off base in thinking that this will receive any views or replies, but it's the slow part of the offseason and I'm bored at work, so here goes.

Does anybody here participate in any form of spiritual practice that they're open to discussing? Meditation? Yoga? Church every Sunday? Have you found said practice particularly helpful in calming you, changing your perception for the better, reducing anger or stress, etc?

I'll happily share or detail my own practice if this gets any interest. If not, I won't. And if this sort of discussion weirds you out -- as it seems to for many people -- then by all means, click the "Back" button and keep scrolling. Just thought it might make for some interesting conversation.

You're an idiot.

No, that's how I meditate.  It's my mantra.  You're an idiot.

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

You're an idiot.

No, that's how I meditate.  It's my mantra.  You're an idiot.

You are quite petty, one-note, and immature, my friend. Following one guy around a football message board to insult him because you have different political opinions? Great use of your time.

I suggest you deal with whatever anger or lack of fulfillment you're suffering from in life. It's just getting sad now.

• Like (+1) 1

Working out is essentially my meditation.  Runners' high and what have you.

I only shower with cold water, and sit underneath it for 10 minutes or so doing a sort of meditation...no mantras or anything just trying to clear my head while simulating some stress and discomfort.  Since I started doing that I find that I deal with everyday stresses without really getting stressed at all, and major life events (death in the family/of a close friend, losing a job, moving, etc.) affect me much less than they used to.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Logic said:

You are quite petty, one-note, and immature, my friend. Following one guy around a football message board to insult him because you have different political opinions? Great use of your time.

I suggest you deal with whatever anger or lack of fulfillment you're suffering from in life. It's just getting sad now.

I wasn't insulting you.  I was meditating.  :rolleyes:

Nature is my cathedral. Set me outside with trees rustling, birds chirping, and a body of water nearby, and I'm at peace. I also find that playing guitar, even though I'm not very good at it, is as close to meditation as I've ever been able to achieve.

I was raised Catholic, including ten years of Catholic school (K-9). I left the church shortly after college and explored Eastern philosophies for a while. I don't believe in reincarnation or Nirvana or any of the spiritual stuff, but the teachings of Siddhartha ("The Buddha") - the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path, and the emphasis on balance - resonate with me. Of course, the teachings of Jesus - kindness, compassion, generosity - are equally good. I wish more people who identified as "Christians" would actually exhibit those behaviors. (Many do, but not the ones who scream the loudest about it.)