Marquise Goodwin buys mom/sister home

30 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

That comment is unfair.  Distinguish between what people said about his as a football player versus a human being.  As a football player here he certainly did not live up to his 3rd pickl, 6 tds in 4 seasons, hurt constantly.  I for one said we needed to get rid of him because he was frail, I always respected the man for what he did for his sister.  Even before this new house he had a home designed for himself that she had one  wing and space for  a caretaker could help her out.

It's entirely fair.  If you were around here, you would know that Goodwin was ruthlessly attacked, and not just based his perceived failure to perform on the field.  His masculinity was questioned, he was literally accused of defrauding the Bills, and many said he should be cut before training camp started, even though he eventually won the WR 3 position.  If you were one of those who said we needed to get rid of him, then you could not have been more wrong.  He'd probably be our best WR if he had stayed.   

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

It's entirely fair.  If you were around here, you would know that Goodwin was ruthlessly attacked, and not just based his perceived failure to perform on the field.  His masculinity was questioned, he was literally accused of defrauding the Bills, and many said he should be cut before training camp started, even though he eventually won the WR 3 position.  If you were one of those who said we needed to get rid of him, then you could not have been more wrong.  He'd probably be our best WR if he had stayed.   

I was around here or should I say at the BBMB and yes, as it typical with overzealous fans some went to extreme, he was attacked for being frail,  not 100% dedicated to football.  I dont recall him being accused of "defrauding the Bills" WTH that means. And yes I said we needed to get rid of him because 1) he could not remain healthy 2) he wasnt producing.  As for #2, he didnt have a QB that could lead him and another year with Tyrod Taylor thrown him the ball likely could have gotten him killed so I disagree, I was not wrong.  He was not a good fir for the Bills.

Again I think 90% of the criticism was "fair", this thread was about him as a "civilian", not a football player.  When you sign up in the NFL brutal criticism of your play is part of the process.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

10 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Question, did Marquise Goodwin break out a career season because he left that Buffalo offense? Or because he took football in the offseason seriously, being on a new team and all.. I mean just watching him briefly at the 9ers he looked like he added 30 pounds of muscle. Looked like a WR monster.

I think both.  Putting him in a more passing-centered offense helped get him touches when he played, but taking football more seriously and training for it helped him stay on the field to make plays, and he also seems to have worked hard on his strength and his catching abilities.

I said before (and got mocked for it here actually), when Rex let Goodwin train for the Olympics: at those highest levels of achievement these days, it's "either or not both".  You can either train optimally for football, and tolerate the dings and dangs of the normal season and play through them, OR you can train optimally for track and field which means avoiding the dings and dangs that would limit your track and field training.  But you can't do both.

18 minutes ago, mannc said:

FWIW, I thought he defrauded the Bills by presenting himself as a dedicated professional football player and taking pro-money for that, at a time in his life when he actually made track a priority.  He pretty much said as much in one interview with a news organization focused on track and field, that he was fortunate football was funding his track career.

And yes, he might have become our best WR, but when he was here he neither trained seriously in the offseason to optimize his football skills and durability, nor played through nagging injuries that could have lingered and hindered his spring track training. 

That said, I feel McBeane did a poor job of evaluating our actual talent at WR and we would be in a much better situation if they had re-signed Woods and Goodwin.  If we had been able to sign Goodwin and Woods to similar, we would have been paying them a combined $9.8M last year.  Instead we had Andre Holmes and Jordan Matthews for $2.4M

We got performance commenserate with what we paid for.   Now, I'm not judging them for this per se- they may have been trying to save every penny to bring in a big name FA QB, and just got out-spent and cut out of the running.  We'll see in the long run but at best, my jury is "out" on whether Beane and McDermott can recognize talent on O and are willing to pay for it.

25 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I dont recall him being accused of "defrauding the Bills" 

Trust me; it happened.  See Hapless post, below.

25 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

As for #2, he didnt have a QB that could lead him and another year with Tyrod Taylor thrown him the ball likely could have gotten him killed so I disagree, I was not wrong.  He was not a good fir for the Bills.

This is an argument that I see trotted out here all the time, and it's pathetic and lame: "Yeah, he played great for [fill in the team], but he would have sucked in Buffalo because [fill in the excuse]."     

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

FWIW, I thought he defrauded the Bills by presenting himself as a dedicated professional football player and taking pro-money for that, at a time in his life when he actually made track a priority.  He pretty much said as much in one interview with a news organization focused on track and field, that he was fortunate football was funding his track career.

How do you know how Goodwin "presented himself to the Bills"?  For all you know, he was 100 percent honest with the team regarding his intention to simultaneously pursue a career in T&F. He certainly had the team's permission to do so.  And there is actually very little evidence that his pursuit of his track career hindered his development as a football player.   

Edited by mannc

52 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Just hate seeing kids blow cash.  House is great, Ferrari seems excessive... how many thousands of dollars is that back pack? 

$27 mil is $13 mil after taxes and agents- if he plays the whole deal. That’s gotta last him and probably the rest of his family 30-40 years and any other folks hanging off of him. 

I am am very familiar with money actually... hope he gets there or has good investment advice or some solid post nfl career lined up

I have the same backpack but a little bigger and I’m an insurance agent. It was about $2500. His is maybe $1500-$2000. He makes WAY more than me and I’m not in jeopardy of being broke. A $2000 backpack to him is like a regular person going to dinner at Ruth’s Chris. 

The players that I know (who are much dumber than Goodwin) live off the interest alone. If you want to worry about a player going broke watch the way that Shady spends. When you see the $30,000 dinner bill that’s when you worry, not when you see the $100,000 car. This isn’t the 90’s anymore though. These players are much more savvy than they used to be and receive much better care after their careers are over. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

23 minutes ago, mannc said:

Trust me; it happened.  See Hapless post, below.

This is an argument that I see trotted out here all the time, and it's pathetic and lame: "Yeah, he played great for [fill in the team], but he would have sucked in Buffalo because [fill in the excuse]."     

How do you know how Goodwin "presented himself to the Bills"?  For all you know, he was 100 percent honest with the team regarding his intention to simultaneously pursue a career in T&F. He certainly had the team's permission to do so.  And there is actually very little evidence that his pursuit of his track career hindered his development as a football player.   

I look at his interviews pre-draft, for one thing.   He presented himself as "a football player, not a track star who plays football" and talked about how missing spring training in football impacted his development and he thought he would be able to develop being full-time focused on football.  And then....

If he was 100% honest with how he presented himself and his priorities to the Bills, then the Bills had 100% bad judgement in drafting him where they did anyway.

I don't know what you consider "evidence that his pursuit of his track career hindered his development as a football player", but looking at his stats in Pro Football Reference there seems to be something pretty stark going on.   In 2014, Goodwin was "in the doghouse" with Marrone, and reportedly not being willing to play dinged was part of it.  Rex was just loosy-goosey and didn't hold his players to high expectations, but it was notable that Goodwin was willing to stay on the field more in 2016 after his Olympics hopes flamed out, and one interpretation of his first 16-start season ever in 2017 is that he actually bulked up and trained for football in the off-season.

3 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

Why are non bills related topics posted in this forum?

Because that's the general practice.  TSW is for football-related topics (including discussion of former Bills players, rival teams etc), "off the wall" is for non-football topics, and PPP is for no-holds-barred wrangling on political topics.

Don't like that practice?  There's a Customer Service forum and a Suggestion Box where you may state your case.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I have the same backpack but a little bigger and I’m an insurance agent. It was about $2500. His is maybe $1500-$2000. He makes WAY more than me and I’m not in jeopardy of being broke. A $2000 backpack to him is like a regular person going to dinner at Ruth’s Chris. 

The players that I know (who are much dumber than Goodwin) live off the interest alone. If you want to worry about a player going broke watch the way that Shady spends. When you see the $30,000 dinner bill that’s when you worry, not when you see the $100,000 car. This isn’t the 90’s anymore though. These players are much more savvy than they used to be and receive much better care after their careers are over. 

You spend $2500 on a backpack?  I don’t care if I Bill Gates money.  I would never spend that much on a backpack.  Here’s the only one you’ll ever need.  The only problem is you will constantly have women hitting on you.

As for Goodwin, he always seemed like he had a great head on his shoulders.  The nickname Glass was funny but it’s crazy that some fans expect a 5’7” 170 lbs to be super durable playing in the nfl.  

And for being a terrible GM, Whaley’s guys are getting paid really well.

9EA46CD4-9EAF-4DD3-B9E1-57A884781919.jpeg

3 minutes ago, BmarvB said:

Always did like him. Thought the Bills made a mistake letting him get away. He wasn't being used right here. Hope he has a productive and healthy season out west

I’ve been critical of a lot of their moves, especially offense, but I can’t hate on this one.  Goodwin really struggle to stay healthy here and never made a major impact.  

5 minutes ago, BmarvB said:

Always did like him. Thought the Bills made a mistake letting him get away. He wasn't being used right here. Hope he has a productive and healthy season out west

I’ve been critical of a lot of their moves, especially offense, but I can’t hate on this one.  Goodwin really struggle to stay healthy here and never made a major impact.  

• Haha (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

LYou spend $2500 on a backpack?  I don’t care if I Bill Gates money.  I would never spend that much on a backpack.  Here’s the only one you’ll ever need.  The only problem is you will constantly have women hitting on you.

As for Goodwin, he always seemed like he had a great head on his shoulders.  The nickname Glass was funny but it’s crazy that some fans expect a 5’7” 170 lbs to be super durable playing in the nfl.  

9EA46CD4-9EAF-4DD3-B9E1-57A884781919.jpeg

It probably wasn’t my best decision. I got it a couple of years ago after a bonus check. At the time it felt like a great idea but I barely use it for fear of it being stolen. It has never made it to Mardi Gras. It’s just turned into an expensive pool bag that doesn’t hold much. It’s probably the least practical purchase I’ve ever made. 

In in terms of Goodwin I always liked him more than others. He had an elite skill. That is important IMO. You need to blend skill sets with your WRs. Even if he was only a deep threat, he had value. That was proven true in that he signed at the beginning of FA. He had value. He’s turned out to be a good receiver and an elite deep threat. He’s been rewarded for it. To your point, he’s another Whaley guy that got paid.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Agree on Whaley - for being a GM criticized because so few of his draft picks/acquisitions are still on the team - a lot of them contributing on good teams in the NFL.

I do tend to think the "coaching carousel" and scheme fits had a lot to do with it.

Goodwin is listed as 5'9" 180 lbs on the SF 49ers website and a bit heavier (183) in his draft profile.  IMO looking at photos he weighed less than that while he was pushing for the Olympics - he is listed as 5'10" 175 on the USTAF site 0 and weighs more than that (or has re-distributed the weight to his upper body) now.  And, with that, he started 16 games last year for SF.

I feel that Goodwin had a 5- and 10- year plan for his life, but focusing 100% on playing football during the first 3 years of his career wasn't part of his plan.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It probably wasn’t my best decision. I got it a couple of years ago after a bonus check. At the time it felt like a great idea but I barely use it for fear of it being stolen. It has never made it to Marci Gras. It’s just turned into an expensive pool bag that doesn’t hold much. It’s probably the least practical purchase I’ve ever made. 

In in terms of Goodwin I always liked him more than others. He had an elite skill. That is important IMO. You need to blend skill sets with your WRs. Even if he was only a deep threat, he had value. That was proven true in that he signed at the beginning of FA. He had value. He’s turned out to be a good receiver and an elite deep threat. He’s been rewarded for it. To your point, he’s another Whaley guy that got paid.

I think you know I wasn’t the biggest Tyrod fan.  But if you wanted to get the most out of him, you keep Watkins and Goodwin since they did what Tyrod did best as a passer.  Instead the forced him into a west coast offense with slow wrs.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agree on Whaley - for being a GM criticized because so few of his draft picks/acquisitions are still on the team - a lot of them contributing on good teams in the NFL.

I do tend to think the "coaching carousel" and scheme fits had a lot to do with it.

Goodwin is listed as 5'9" 180 lbs on the SF 49ers website and a bit heavier (183) in his draft profile.  IMO looking at photos he weighed less than that while he was pushing for the Olympics - he is listed as 5'10" 175 on the USTAF site 0 and weighs more than that (or has re-distributed the weight to his upper body) now.  And, with that, he started 16 games last year for SF.

I feel that Goodwin had a 5- and 10- year plan for his life, but focusing 100% on playing football during the first 3 years of his career wasn't part of his plan.

Good post.  I hated the Sammy move and the idea of Jordan Matthews trying to replace him.  But I never in a million years predicted Goodwin would have been that good on the 49ers.  Good for him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

...and two sports that principally focus on "your wheels" has to be tough.....look at NFL WR's who end up with hammy and/or groin injuries that nag on.....glad this kid was able to make a 2nd go of it with 49ers......always seemed to be a classy kid......and the house purchase confirms it for me......

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He just signed a $20M extension. He’ll be fine. He can afford a decent sized house and a Range Rover.

Goodwin is a class guy. He’s one of the league’s “good guys.” For all of the negative that we see and hear about the NFL it is nice to have a story like this.

Well said and so true. Too bad Flash didn't have a better qb and a few less injuries. If you're going to spend money, spend it on family. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think you know I wasn’t the biggest Tyrod fan.  But if you wanted to get the most out of him, you keep Watkins and Goodwin since they did what Tyrod did best as a passer.  Instead the forced him into a west coast offense with slow wrs.

Good post.  I hated the Sammy move and the idea of Jordan Matthews trying to replace him.  But I never in a million years predicted Goodwin would have been that good on the 49ers.  Good for him.

Yeah, last year was odd from an offensive standpoint. Statistically, they were one of the best rushing teams off all-time the year before. The Bills could run the ball and go over the top. That’s what they did well. They kept the box clean for the running game because teams respected Sammy and Goodwin’s speed. So what did they do? Added a lumbering Jordan Matthews to run 6 yard patterns. They jammed up the running game and cleared out the WR talent. Wasn’t Andre Holmes a number 2 to start the year?!? It was just weird and it failed miserably. I’d like to think that Rico was a big part of the problem and Daboll will get more out of these guys.

• Thank you (+1) 2