President Donald J. Trump's Supreme Court Associate Justice Kavanaugh

Democrats are furious about Trump and the Supreme Court – They have only Obama to blame
by Liz Peek

Original Article

Though they won’t admit it, Democrats are suffering continued fallout from the arrogance of the Obama White House. Liberals are furious that President Trump will have the opportunity to appoint another justice to the Supreme Court, thus cementing a conservative majority for the foreseeable future.

Moreover, liberals are upset that the Trump administration may have convinced Justice Anthony Kennedy to recently announce his retirement, viewing that effort as dirty pool. That Kennedy, age 81, is nobody’s fool – and is unlikely to have been manipulated – appears irrelevant.

The real offense, which actually merits outrage from the left, is that President Obama did not convince liberal Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg to retire during the many years that Democrats controlled the Senate.

Ginsburg is 85. She will surely leave the bench in the next few years, opening up the possibility that the Supreme Court will have an even greater conservative cast – one that might indeed persist for a generation.

Why did President Obama not plan for such a possibility, which would at least have guaranteed four liberal votes on the court? The obvious answer is that he never anticipated that the opportunity would pass.

Even though he received what he called a “shellacking” in the 2010 midterms, and even though the GOP made unprecedented political gains during his tenure, President Obama was always convinced the country was behind him.

As Mara Liasson wrote for NPR in 2016: “During Obama's eight years in office, the Democrats have lost more House, Senate, state legislative and governors seats than under any other president.” She noted that the Obama legacy includes “one huge failure: a diminished Democratic Party.”

MORE AT THE LINK:

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, B-Man said:
Democrats are furious about Trump and the Supreme Court – They have only Obama to blame
by Liz Peek

Original Article

Though they won’t admit it, Democrats are suffering continued fallout from the arrogance of the Obama White House. Liberals are furious that President Trump will have the opportunity to appoint another justice to the Supreme Court, thus cementing a conservative majority for the foreseeable future.

Moreover, liberals are upset that the Trump administration may have convinced Justice Anthony Kennedy to recently announce his retirement, viewing that effort as dirty pool. That Kennedy, age 81, is nobody’s fool – and is unlikely to have been manipulated – appears irrelevant.

The real offense, which actually merits outrage from the left, is that President Obama did not convince liberal Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg to retire during the many years that Democrats controlled the Senate.

Ginsburg is 85. She will surely leave the bench in the next few years, opening up the possibility that the Supreme Court will have an even greater conservative cast – one that might indeed persist for a generation.

Why did President Obama not plan for such a possibility, which would at least have guaranteed four liberal votes on the court? The obvious answer is that he never anticipated that the opportunity would pass.

Even though he received what he called a “shellacking” in the 2010 midterms, and even though the GOP made unprecedented political gains during his tenure, President Obama was always convinced the country was behind him.

As Mara Liasson wrote for NPR in 2016: “During Obama's eight years in office, the Democrats have lost more House, Senate, state legislative and governors seats than under any other president.” She noted that the Obama legacy includes “one huge failure: a diminished Democratic Party.”

MORE AT THE LINK:

It's not that he was convinced that the country was behind him, it's that he had casually disregarded the will of the people, and their right to self determination; and had made the decision to coronate Hillary Clinton as the next President.

It wasn't important what the people wanted, because he had determined to subvert their will to his own legacy, and never dreamed his machinations would fail him, and destroy his legacy.

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

.... No one has been nominated yet, but Bob already knows how he's voting: 

Good luck in November, Bob. 

Shocked, yes, shocked I'm not...!

I'll be surprised when a Democrat tweets "I'll give Trump's nomination the same consideration I would any other nomination, regardless of party."

• Like (+1) 1

ALLAHPUNDIT HAS A HUNCH: It’ll Be Barrett For SCOTUS.

As for why Barrett over Kavanaugh or Kethledge, Trump’s instinct when told that he can’t do something is to do it. And Barrett is the one pick more than any other about whom he’s being told “You can’t do that!” She’s too pro-life! Collins and Murkowski will walk! Official Washington much prefers Kavanaugh or Kethledge! I think Trump processes advice like that in terms of “You don’t have the balls to do this.” It’s like waving a red cape in front of a bull. More than that, though, Barrett is very clearly the choice that’ll make his base happiest and galvanize them for a big chair-throwing culture-war brawl with the left.

Kethledge is getting knocked by the right for his immigration votes, Kavanaugh is getting bashed for being a Bushie, but Barrett seems to be viewed as some sort of conquering white knight of social conservatism. I think that’s foolhardy: She’s far less of a known quantity as a judge than Kavanaugh or Kethledge are and might well disappoint conservatives in all sorts of ways over the next 40 years on the Court. (Although, crucially, probably not on abortion.) It’d be wiser to give her five years on the bench and then see where things stand.

But Republicans don’t necessarily have five years to play with. By far the stupidest argument in support of passing over Barrett this time is that Trump can save her for the eventual Ginsburg vacancy. Trump may be out of office in as little as two and a half years, though. There’s every reason to think Ginsburg can hang on until then. And if she does, it might plausibly be another full decade before a Republican president gets to fill a Court seat.

We’ll know soon enough.

7 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Kim Kardashian

You may have something there. After all, he did interview her a while back and she must have impressed Trump immensely with her petition for the poor woman that was incarcerated for life.

14 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Just heard the pick is in, who do you think it will be and who do you want? Want - Barrett/Kethledge, Think - Hardiman 

It will be Barrett.  A female in her mid 40's that will exasperate the culture war the most with the left that Trump thrives on.  However, she's the most unknown on the bench so this could backfire in the long run.

Just now, Doc Brown said:

It will be Barrett.  A female in her mid 40's that will exasperate the culture war the most with the left that Trump thrives on.  However, she's the most unknown on the bench so this could backfire in the long run.

Yeah I more prefer Kethledge as he is in the mold of Gorsuch etc., but I picked her just to watch the left scramble to discredit her. Judge Napolitano said that Trump and Barrett didnt seem to hit it off in their meeting from what he heard so he didnt think it was going to be her

5 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Yeah I more prefer Kethledge as he is in the mold of Gorsuch etc., but I picked her just to watch the left scramble to discredit her. Judge Napolitano said that Trump and Barrett didnt seem to hit it off in their meeting from what he heard so he didnt think it was going to be her

This is not a sandbox I typically play in, so forgive my being naive when I ask, is there not a conservative black female  judge qualified for the spot?