July Movies: Ant-Man, Mission: Impossible, Equalizer, & Skyscraper

31 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

He did that cameo because he'd gone full Scientology crazy.

That cameo saved his reputation. And this was by design. 

I'm aware of that.  Badly worded on my part.  I wasn't as crazy about that movie as some people, but RDJ's and Cruise's performances made it worth the price of admission.

On 7/7/2018 at 7:38 PM, Mark Vader said:

Saw "Ant-Man and the Wasp" today.

Like the first movie it has a lot of good clean humor, and it's an all-around fun film.

That's the one I want to see, although heard it might be a little weird cause it takes place before infinity war? (Which I have not had a chance to see yet)

I heard it could be the last Ant Man movie too? Guess they just agreed to do a sequel to Doctor Strange. I thought they would keep going with these.

I know 2 of my kids want to see Hotel Transylvania 3, and at least one of them would want to see Teen Titans

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

That's the one I want to see, although heard it might be a little weird cause it takes place before infinity war? (Which I have not had a chance to see yet)

I heard it could be the last Ant Man movie too? Guess they just agreed to do a sequel to Doctor Strange. I thought they would keep going with these.

I know 2 of my kids want to see Hotel Transylvania 3, and at least one of them would want to see Teen Titans

It's not weird at all that it takes place before Infinity War. And you really should see Infinity War before this, because it's awesome!

I have not seen an official word on a 3rd Ant-Man movie, but I think there will be one. Another Doctor Strange movie was imminent, and there is another Spider-Man movie all set for next year and a 3rd Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

Also Captain Marvel will have her first feature length film next March.

Disney & Marvel will find a way to keep these movies going, as they move on with these "newer" characters while phasing out Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk & Thor. 

3 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

It's not weird at all that it takes place before Infinity War. And you really should see Infinity War before this, because it's awesome!

I have not seen an official word on a 3rd Ant-Man movie, but I think there will be one. Another Doctor Strange movie was imminent, and there is another Spider-Man movie all set for next year and a 3rd Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

Disney & Marvel will find a way to keep these movies going, as they move on with these "newer" characters while phasing out Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk & Thor. 

Yeah, I Really have to see Infinity War, tough to get to the theater with 3 little kids....

I thought Paul Rudd said something about them not planning o  more Ant Man stand alone movies. Also remember hearing that Dr Strange sequel wasnt guaranteed going either until now. Heard about the next spiderman next year and Captain Marvel who it sounds like may be the focus of the next phase (like Iron Man in phase 1).

Also read Guardians 3 may be the last one with the current characters. And they will be doing the same thing as Avengers and swap characters out for new ones

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:38 PM, Mark Vader said:

Saw "Ant-Man and the Wasp" today.

Like the first movie it has a lot of good clean humor, and it's an all-around fun film.

I saw it on Saturday and liked it a lot. Nice character development and lots of good humor.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Out of all of them, I kind of wish they wouldn't phase out Thor.  It feels like they've just started to make him into something bigger.  I guess they probably can't do much with him if he turns into an overseeing god type like Odin, but it could work for brief cameos if Hemsworth every wanted to sign on for something like that.

I feel like it all started with the Tobey McGuire Spider-Man movies, but wow did they take the whole “heroes excessively taking off their masks” thing to a whole new level in Antman and the Wasp. Anyone who wants to rant about the vanity of Hollywood needs to look no further than this. 

Anyway, fun movie. I wish we could get more stand alone movies. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, shrader said:

I feel like it all started with the Tobey McGuire Spider-Man movies, but wow did they take the whole “heroes excessively taking off their masks” thing to a whole new level in Antman and the Wasp. Anyone who wants to rant about the vanity of Hollywood needs to look no further than this. 

Anyway, fun movie. I wish we could get more stand alone movies. 

That's pretty good, I honestly wasn't paying attention to that.

You should try watching the television show "Supergirl". It's amazing how many people on that show know her true identity. Not subtle about it all.

7 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

That's pretty good, I honestly wasn't paying attention to that.

You should try watching the television show "Supergirl". It's amazing how many people on that show know her true identity. Not subtle about it all.

And they call her by her first name constantly while in the company of the people who don't know her true identity?  Yeah, that show is really horrible with that whole thing.

But anyway, they popped off their masks essentially every time the returned to full size, even in the middle of fights.  Other than that, the one thing that kind of irritated me about the movie was how they pretty much turned Lang into a bumbling idiot.  He was not like that at all in the first one.  It's another piece of how they're overemphasizing the humor in their movies lately.

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

And they call her by her first name constantly while in the company of the people who don't know her true identity?  Yeah, that show is really horrible with that whole thing.

But anyway, they popped off their masks essentially every time the returned to full size, even in the middle of fights.  Other than that, the one thing that kind of irritated me about the movie was how they pretty much turned Lang into a bumbling idiot.  He was not like that at all in the first one.  It's another piece of how they're overemphasizing the humor in their movies lately.

That was my problem with Thor Ragnorok.

I liked it, but what I didnt liked was all the forced humor in it. It feels like after the success of Guardians, they are trying to do the same with other characters and add alot more goofy humor to it. The movie seemed to be a complete 180 degree turn from the previous ones where Thor wasnt comedic relief. I like that they are making him less serious, I just think they turned too much

I'm also thinking that some of the issues that Marvel/Disney are having is that they are too successful with these movies. I almost think that they made some of these stand alone movies just introduce a character or scenerio but then it makes a bunch of money and they have to continue with it and do more.

Unlike DC that cant seem to do anything right.....

On 7/6/2018 at 1:34 AM, Mark Vader said:

I never saw "The Last Samurai" but I did enjoy "Collateral" a lot.

I thought he was good in "Minority Report", and he was great in "Magnolia". I also really enjoyed "Valkyrie", although a lot of movie audiences, not critics, really dumped on his performance in that, and I don't know why. He did a fine job, and "Valkyrie" was an outstanding movie.

Collateral is Michael Mann's second best movie behind Heat. I'd say it's probably one of Cruise's top acting performances. 

I too thought Valkyrie was a good movie.  I think McQuarrie is a pretty good director.  

• Like (+1) 1

Yes, they completely changed Thor's character in order to fit that Guardians comedy direction.  The change wasn't as obvious with Lang since he was a bit of a goof in the first one.  But he was also presented as smart and a quick thinker in that one.  I'm not so sure they ever showed that with this one.  Pym and Hope are the brains of every single move in this one.

• 3 weeks later...