Top 16 All Time QB's According to Gil Brandt of NFL.com

11 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

What do yall want?  Numbers or Lombardis? 

Which QB do people remember more, Bart Starr or Dan Fouts?

I'll take the Lombardis which puts Terry and Bart and Troy and Joe and Roger near the top of the list.  QBs job is to win. 

That's how little kids judge QBs too. Enjoy Jeff Hostetler. I'll take Marino.

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not for me. Didn't show up in the big games to drive the Bills to championships and his regular season numbers don't blow me away.  Great QB who doesn't make the best of the best for me. 

The only team Young could beat was maybe the worst team to ever play in the super bowl. The chargers had no one.

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

The only team Young could beat was maybe the worst team to ever play in the super bowl. The chargers had no one.

Yeah. He should apologize for that. Meanwhile Mr. Kelly lost to Jeff FN Hostetler with the Bills as the superior team.   Try harder. 

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

I'm sure the Giants fans are happy with Jeff over Jim.  I know I would be. Bring home the hardware. A QBs job is to win.  There are no style points in football.

I'm going to go back to the sand box with the other "little kids" .  Have fun with Dan!

7 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I'm sure the Giants fans are happy with Jeff over Jim.  I know I would be. Bring home the hardware. A QBs job is to win.  There are no style points in football.

I'm going to go back to the sand box with the other "little kids" .  Have fun with Dan!

Yea, except some of the time, the QB has little to do with the team winning. Dilfer, Hostetler, McMahon, Flacco, Rypien, and the king among peasants and worst QB to ever win multiple championships: Terry Bradshaw.

Edited by BullBuchanan

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

Yea, except a lot of the time, the QB has little to do with the team winning. Dilfer, Hostetler, McMahon, Flacco, Rypien, and the king among peasants and worst QB to ever win multiple championships: Terry Bradshaw.

I was a HUGE Cowboys fan from 1960 until Smiley bought them after the 1988 season losing 2 close SBs to them.  Terry was money.  He had a great supporting cast. I'll take money over yards and flash all day every day.

One example.  In one of those SBs, in the 2nd half The Steel Curtain got ahead by a TD and kick a squib kick which Randy White fields with a cast on his hand and tries to run with it. Ball gets punched out.

Next play, TB hits one of his guys on a bomb just in case the Cowboys thought they were coming back. 

I can't stand him because of what he did to us.  But calling him a peasant is just plain silly and sounds uninformed to me.

Did you watch NFL football in the 1970s/1980s?  Not trying to be per snickety, just curious.

42 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Because he threw for more yards than anyone in pro history and was one of the most talented QBs ever.

Not buying it. And the CFL is not "professional"; not even close.

Kelly had a career record of 101-59. Moon's was 102-101.

Kelly's career QB rating was 84.4; Moon's was 80.9.

Kelly had a career TD/INT ratio of 1.35 vs. 1.24 for Moon.

I'm not even going to get into how much Kelly was better vs. Moon in head-to-head games.

Edited by greenyellowred

3 minutes ago, greenyellowred said:

Kelly had a career record of 101-59. Moon's was 102-101.

Kelly's career QB rating was 84.4; Moon's was 80.9.

Kelly had a career TD/INT ration of 1.35 vs. 1.24 for Moon.

I'm not even going to get into how much Kelly was vs. Moon in head-to-head games.

You really need to take off the Kelly colored glasses. He may have been the best we had, but he was relatively pedestrian against the best all time. He's probably in the 20-25 conversation.

12 hours ago, greenyellowred said:

As long as the players are getting a case of beer, a coupon for a Big Mac, and the deluxe wash and wax at the Barton St. Car Wash, it IS professional!  (Isn't it?!)

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....Benny Ricardo #1.......:thumbsup:

Excuse me while I go Google him.

EDIT:  Well, he is married to a Playboy Playmate AND is a bilingual sports announcer.  I'll place him just behind Garo Yepremiam, since Yepremiam is the original 'Slash'.  (K / QB)

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Tark and Marino both had longer and more prolific careers.

Nonsense. If you count Kelly's two years in the USFL the passing yardage difference shrinks, particular with Tarkenton. Marino threw for a lot more yards but had a lower completion percentage, as did Tark. Both had lower a QB rating than Jimbo. And for all his yards passing, Marino took the Dolphins nowhere except for one year. You have to go by stats, impact and effectiveness. Those are three great quarterbacks but there shouldn't be a huge amount of distance between them.

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

Nonsense. If you count Kelly's two years in the USFL the passing yardage difference shrinks, particular with Tarkenton. Marino threw for a lot more yards but had a lower completion percentage, as did Tark. Both had lower a QB rating than Jimbo. And for all his yards passing, Marino took the Dolphins nowhere except for one year. You have to go by stats, impact and effectiveness. Those are three great quarterbacks but there shouldn't be a huge amount of distance between them.

USFL? Sorry I don't count that as anything but a training ground. Apples to Apples as in their respective NFL careers. Nice try though. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

On 7/6/2018 at 6:50 AM, formerlyofCtown said:

The top 2 on this list are great in this Era.  However there are a lot of guys on that list that would be great in any Era and Rogers is one of them.  Jimbo is certainly better than 16.  Marino is the GOAT.

Absolutely NOT.  Being a QB is more than just throwing the ball - Marino's fakes got his RBs demolished and there are a number of other skills he was weak on.  Marino was not even a top 10 QB.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

USFL? Sorry I don't count that as anything but a training ground. Apples to Apples as in their respective NFL careers. Nice try though. 

Nice try being dismissive. What about everything else I said?  His completion percentage and quarterback rating were remarkably similar from the USFL into the NFL, and both of those - just counting his NFL  rating, better than either Tarkenton or Marino's. Take the first year or two of any quarterback and I'll easily take Kelly's USFL experience. If you seriously put a ton of distance between Marino, Tarkenton and Kelly then I seriously question your football acumen when it comes to QBs -  or at least I disagree with it.

10 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Nice try being dismissive. What about everything else I said?  His completion percentage and quarterback rating were remarkably similar from the USFL into the NFL, and both of those - just counting his NFL  rating, better than either Tarkenton or Marino's. Take the first year or two of any quarterback and I'll easily take Kelly's USFL experience. If you seriously put a ton of distance between Marino, Tarkenton and Kelly then I seriously question your football acumen when it comes to QBs -  or at least I disagree with it.

The list was for the greatest QBs in NFL history so your attempt to add USFL into the converation is meaningless.