Glad I like Football

12 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

And Dan lebatard thinks that sports drafts are akin to slave auctions.

No, really.

the NBA's draft is mostly pointless, it's too much even at 2 rounds, for which teams don't even feel it worth protecting the picks

not a fan of DlB in any capacity....

31 minutes ago, row_33 said:

The NBA is telling about 26 teams there is no point in even trying, and what's the point of the draft?

for sure about football, i wouldn't last 3 seconds with an NFL exec or coach talking strategy

I agree. The NBA draft is a crapshoot. The majority of these guys play 1 year of college ball then show up to the NBA physically unready at age 19. The team that picks them gets to spend 3-4 years developing them, at the end of which the player becomes an RFA if they don't sign a contract extension after year 3. So (with exceptions, of course) by the time the player is ready to make a substantial contribution, their entry-level contract is done and they're an RFA.

4 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

The NBA's biggest problem is megateams like the Warriors, Celtics, Cavs and Lakers basically control the league. Whoever wins the West this year basically is guaranteed to win it all. 

But it’s not specific teams.  3 guys can decide to join up and turn a doormat into a champion overnight.

Of course, they are far more likely to do that in major media/cultural areas where endorsements and lifestyles are maximized.

3 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I know nothing about the Bird rule, but I am well versed in Bird Law....

I’m most familiar with Bird Poop. I must be wearing an invisible Bird’s Bullseye. My wife gets an enormous kick out of how often I’ve been hit, usually in front of a large crowd, which only makes it more enjoyable for my sweetheart. 

15 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

But it’s not specific teams.  3 guys can decide to join up and turn a doormat into a champion overnight.

Of course, they are far more likely to do that in major media/cultural areas where endorsements and lifestyles are maximized.

So, you don’t think Milwaukee is next? Sure, Miami, LA, Boston, San Francisco, etc.  may have some appeal.....but Milwaukee has BEER! 

Edited by Augie

5 hours ago, BillsIsrael said:

Some exceptions are logical and should be copied from the NBA (as much as I agree with you that it's way too complicated there). The Bird rule (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_salary_cap#Larry_Bird_exception) makes so much sense - allowing teams to get a discount on the cap to keep the veterans. These are the players that the fans love, the give the team its character, and the top execs who only look at the bottom line should have some incentive to do something for the fans.

Actually the one thing I thought I did know was the Bird rule, but I thought it referred back to when he was drafted as a junior, but then went back and played one more year.  Boston had drafted him low the year prior as knew he was going back to school but then kept his rights after the following season.

Thought that was the Bird ruie, guess I don't even know that one.

The 'problem' with the NBA is not with the Cities or Franchises. The problem emanates from the players having too much control of the rosters.  So it's become like a Club League in which players move around and call their friends to come and play with them for a year or two so they can win a championship and then move on. The specific team doesn't matter, the coach doesn't matter, etc.   The NBA is a Saturday pick up league masquerading as a major sport.  Unwatchable. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Idandria said:

The NBA just sucks in general.

I pretty much agree.  I don't like how the 3 pointer has become all important................But, why has it become so popular lately?

The NBA was great in the 80s/90s when the players actually had pride and there were real rivalries but it has become absolutely unwatchable and nothing more than a soap opera every offseason to see which player is going where and who is teaming up with who :sick:

12 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

The NBA was great in the 80s/90s when the players actually had pride and there were real rivalries but it has become absolutely unwatchable and nothing more than a soap opera every offseason to see which player is going where and who is teaming up with who :sick:

sports was best when you were 11, that was 1977 for me, learn to adjust with the times...

Just now, row_33 said:

sports was best when you were 11, that was 1977 for me, learn to adjust with the times...

I agree for sure and since here I am spending time on this Bills message board I would say I have adjusted with times But with that said I think sports have declined in quality over the years.