Glad I like Football

Glad I like football better than the NBA.  Free agency rules in the NFL are a cake walk compared to the NBA.  Between the Rose rule, Bird rights, mid-level exception, luxury tax, biannual exception, non-tax exception, expiring contracts, restricted Bird, etc.. the list goes on . 

How can anyone figure that thing out!

• Like (+1) 2

Some exceptions are logical and should be copied from the NBA (as much as I agree with you that it's way too complicated there). The Bird rule (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_salary_cap#Larry_Bird_exception) makes so much sense - allowing teams to get a discount on the cap to keep the veterans. These are the players that the fans love, the give the team its character, and the top execs who only look at the bottom line should have some incentive to do something for the fans.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

The NBA's biggest problem is megateams like the Warriors, Celtics, Cavs and Lakers basically control the league. Whoever wins the West this year basically is guaranteed to win it all. 

Just to be clear

The Lakers may have controlled the league in the past but have been going through basically 5 years of futility

After the "basketball reasons" situation that actually blocked Chris Paul from being traded to the lakers JUST because it was too good of a deal and then the attempt at biulding team with additions of Dwight Howard and Steven Nash....the lakers have been aweful (a lot of this because of bad management of the team) and it took years to dig out of that.

Just because Lebron James came to LA does not change this....the lakers have a young core of talent by being god awful this past years....the idea of being aweful is you get blue chip talent which they have done....they have biult the team up now the way it was meant to be....rebiulding.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

The NBA's biggest problem is megateams like the Warriors, Celtics, Cavs and Lakers basically control the league. Whoever wins the West this year basically is guaranteed to win it all. 

Not sure you can include the Celtics in that group...they have a hard time attracting free-agents.  Most of the top talent they have brought in over the years were the results of trades.  The only real big-time talents that they have acquired over the last 10 years or so via free agency are Gordon (who played a total of about 8 minutes for them) and Horford, who is a good, not elite player.  Kyrie Irving was obtained via trade...and there is a good chance he will be going elsewhere after this coming season, as he won't talk extension.  Honestly, they are my team, so maybe I am biased, but I think the Celtics are building a really good team, the good old fashioned way...through the draft, and solid, if not spectacular mid-level free agent signings.

28 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

What I don't understand with all the criticism GS gets is they drafted a majority of that roster. God forbid they add a top level free agent, something LeBron has had the luxury of with every single team he's played for. But what do I know, I don't follow the NBA that closely. 

4 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

What I don't understand with all the criticism GS gets is they drafted a majority of that roster. God forbid they add a top level free agent, something LeBron has had the luxury of with every single team he's played for. But what do I know, I don't follow the NBA that closely. 

Your talking about Lebron going to a team that has basically done what GS has done......most of their talent is home grown

4 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

Neither do I. I followed the Clippers a little bit but I never got into basketball. I'm just talking with an outsider's opinion. 

55 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Glad I like football better than the NBA.  Free agency rules in the NFL are a cake walk compared to the NBA.  Between the Rose rule, Bird rights, mid-level exception, luxury tax, biannual exception, non-tax exception, expiring contracts, restricted Bird, etc.. the list goes on . 

How can anyone figure that thing out!

I have been saying this for years.  It's unbelievable - I think every player on the roster is on some sort of contact with it's own provisions, etc................The frequent trading of expiring contracts, etc. makes it even more confusing. 

25 minutes ago, bbb said:

I have been saying this for years.  It's unbelievable - I think every player on the roster is on some sort of contact with it's own provisions, etc................The frequent trading of expiring contracts, etc. makes it even more confusing. 

I agree. I'm an NBA fan (Pelicans) and it is really difficult to figure out how much a team has available to spend on free agents when every team in the league seems to be over the cap... which isn't really a cap. There is the "non-taxpayer midlevel exception," the "bi-annual exception," the "trade exception," this exception, that exception...

The Pelicans could offer Rajon Rondo exactly $8.641 million due to one of these exceptions... so the Lakers offered him $9 million and he signed with LA. Were he a different category of player they could offer him a different amount. Confusing. And, I have a PhD!

45 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

The NBA is a farce.

Who's winning the championship next season? I think everyone knows that answer, and it's not even close to their preseason.

The Pelicans offered Boogie Cousins $40 million over 2 years... he signed with Golden State for 1 year at $5.3 million. I will seriously root for the field - the entire rest of the league - to win the championship over Golden State.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

always been that way in hoops

Wilt and Abdul-Jabbar went to the Lakers on demand

For my youth the Sixers grabbed Moses after failing a few times with Doc in the Finals, just like that, how brave and ingenious to think this up!!

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

always been that way in hoops

Wilt and Abdul-Jabbar went to the Lakers on demand

For my youth the Sixers grabbed Moses after failing a few times with Doc in the Finals, just like that, how brave and ingenious to think this up!!

I think this is a function of the small number of players in basketball (only 5 on the court). Get 2 or 3 superstars and you can dominate for a long time. With football you need a ton of talent across various positions to field a winning team. I actually think it is a more difficult job to be an NFL GM in some sense. Lebron plus anyone will be a good team in the NBA.

10 minutes ago, October 1918 said:

I think this is a function of the small number of players in basketball (only 5 on the court). Get 2 or 3 superstars and you can dominate for a long time. With football you need a ton of talent across various positions to field a winning team. I actually think it is a more difficult job to be an NFL GM in some sense. Lebron plus anyone will be a good team in the NBA.

The NBA is telling about 26 teams there is no point in even trying, and what's the point of the draft?

for sure about football, i wouldn't last 3 seconds with an NFL exec or coach talking strategy

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

The NBA is a farce.

Who's winning the championship next season? I think everyone knows that answer, and it's not even close to their preseason.

.....would that be a "no" to "parity"??....just askin'..............

24 minutes ago, row_33 said:

The NBA is telling about 26 teams there is no point in even trying, and what's the point of the draft?

for sure about football, i wouldn't last 3 seconds with an NFL exec or coach talking strategy

And Dan lebatard thinks that sports drafts are akin to slave auctions.

No, really.