Happy 4th of July TBD

I'm getting ready to leave for the 4th of July Celebration at Memorial Park in Colorado Springs.

Food, Drink and Music!

Colorado Springs Philharmonic headlines the event and culminates with the playing of "The 1812 Overture" just as the fireworks begin.

One great thing is that for the "cannon sounds" of the Overture a battery of artillery is brought in from Fort Carson.

The guns going off can be felt in your chest.

Hope you all have a great 4th, and "Down with King George"!

king george.png

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm getting ready to leave for the 4th of July Celebration at Memorial Park in Colorado Springs.

Food, Drink and Music!

Colorado Springs Philharmonic headlines the event and culminates with the playing of "The 1812 Overture" just as the fireworks begin.

One great thing is that for the "cannon sounds" of the Overture a battery of artillery is brought in from Fort Carson.

The guns going off can be felt in your chest.

Hope you all have a great 4th, and "Down with King George"!

king george.png

Dont you mean food, drink, music and Bud ?✌️

Happy Independence Day 

Damn straight I’m proud to be an American ??

• Haha (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I had kin fight and die in the revolution!

Screw King George!

Me too on the Revolutionary soldier ancestry.  I also have kin who emigrated to America much more recently 

And on that note, I'd like to share little ditty,  written by a non-Christian immigrant to the US 100 years ago, and performed as an unofficial "second American anthem" for the past 80 years

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Me too on the Revolutionary soldier ancestry.  I also have kin who emigrated to America much more recently 

And on that note, I'd like to share little ditty,  written by a non-Christian immigrant to the US 100 years ago, and performed as an unofficial "second American anthem" for the past 80 years

Same

I have some on my fathers side who fought in the revolution. My great great great great great grandfather was named a General by Washington , was at Valley Forge , and saved Washington’s life in battle... he died in action at the battle of Savannah

the rest of my family on my mother’s side all came from Germany in 1930

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Traced my family back to War of 1776.  One Prussian volunteered to come here and help the colonists and after war was granted land in Western PA.  The other was a Hessian and he was part of a company paid for by King George and when they lost they were told they were not getting paid and do not come back home.

I am working the 4th of July to midnight so enjoy those fireworks and drinks for me. 

• Like (+1) 2

I hope everyone had a nice 4th.  Now it’s time to push the rock back up the hill and finish a short week.  Glad people had fun.  For the racist comment you obviously don’t know history as the founders tried desperately to end slavery as part of the revolution , but the Democrat slaveholders in the south with their farms would not go along so they made the concession for independence.

it took a Republican, namely Abraham Lincoln who wouldn’t stop until they ended slavery.  The civil war was as much about economics as freedom, but he lobbied successfully for everyone’s freedom.  Funny as people I chat with about color All thought it was the Democrats, yet, it was the Southern Democrat slaveholders that fought tooth and nail against it.

im not trying to make a wonderful celebration political, but know you’re facts before you make comments.  These aren’t opinions, and I have a degree in History as well as something else so pretty well informed.  Hopefully all this race relations stuff gets better as it is terrible to treat anyone different b/c of color, ethnicity, religion, etc.  I won’t tolerate it in my family.

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I hope everyone had a nice 4th.  Now it’s time to push the rock back up the hill and finish a short week.  Glad people had fun.  For the racist comment you obviously don’t know history as the founders tried desperately to end slavery as part of the revolution , but the Democrat slaveholders in the south with their farms would not go along so they made the concession for independence.

it took a Republican, namely Abraham Lincoln who wouldn’t stop until they ended slavery.  The civil war was as much about economics as freedom, but he lobbied successfully for everyone’s freedom.  Funny as people I chat with about color All thought it was the Democrats, yet, it was the Southern Democrat slaveholders that fought tooth and nail against it.

im not trying to make a wonderful celebration political, but know you’re facts before you make comments.  These aren’t opinions, and I have a degree in History as well as something else so pretty well informed.  Hopefully all this race relations stuff gets better as it is terrible to treat anyone different b/c of color, ethnicity, religion, etc.  I won’t tolerate it in my family.

For a dude with a degree in History, there's a lot of revisionism in there and some views that aren't facts at all. 

For example, "the founders" would most definitely include the Southerners such as Jefferson, Washington, etc.  While in writing, many of the founders (ie Jefferson) expressed doubts about the morality of slavery, they continued to hold slaves.  To say "the founders tried desperately to end slavery but Democratic slaveholders would not go along" is certainly not a statement based on "knowing you're(sic) facts".   During the Revolutionary War period, there were a significant number of slaves in New England states - 4,500 in the MA census.  Boston ships were also selling slaves in Connecticut and Rhode Island.  Slaveholding was never made illegal in MA until 1865, although a series of court cases beginning in the 1780s resulted in slavery's decline in MA.

Post-revolutionary war, the political parties were the "Democratic Republicans" (the party of Jefferson and Madison) and "Federalists" (Hamilton). The Democratic party was founded in 1828 by Andrew Jackson.  To speak of "Democrats" and "Republicans" in the context of the American Revolution is at best, inaccurate - certainly not factual.  It should also be noted that the Republican and Democratic parties switched platforms about the turn of the century, certainly by 1936 (New Deal), so that must be accounted for.

I'm going to move this off the wall, and if political discussion is desired to continue, suggest PPP.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think you need to be Christian, to ask for God's blessing. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

For example, "the founders" would most definitely include the Southerners such as Jefferson, Washington, etc.  While in writing, many of the founders (ie Jefferson) expressed doubts about the morality of slavery, they continued to hold slaves.  To say "the founders tried desperately to end slavery but Democratic slaveholders would not go along" is certainly not a statement based on "knowing you're(sic) facts".   During the Revolutionary War period, there were a significant number of slaves in New England states - 4,500 in the MA census.  Boston ships were also selling slaves in Connecticut and Rhode Island.  Slaveholding was never made illegal in MA until 1865, although a series of court cases beginning in the 1780s resulted in slavery's decline in MA.

Nice post. Accurate.

I'm kind of a Jefferson nut.

What would be really neat, and valuable, would be to get a copy of the original Declaration drafts wherein he condemned the slave trade.

That proposition was cast aside because it was thought that unanimity was more important, and it was thought that some wouldn't sign it with that provision.