John Kryk: (Beane) said that Colin Kaepernick would be a distraction

HOUSE

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How much did Mahomes dress last year?  Asking for a friend.

Think he dressed every week.  Not dressing suggests not even being the backup to me.  

Edited by GunnerBill

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But you can't acknowledge that it's the combination of talent-level and behavior/views that have him out of the league

You insist it's just views/behavior

I give up.

There is no other conclusion.  If player A is out of the league due to their social stances, but you admit that player B would be treated differently under the same circumstances, then it is clearly not simply the social stances keeping him out of the league.  He could also posses the talent that gets others to be "treated differently."  He simply does not.

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What 26 said.  There's no one ahead of Allen.

Also, as the backup QB, wouldn't Mahomet dressed for every game?

I guess I stood in my own light a bit and sounded rhetorical, but it really was a genuine question: I didn't follow KC enough last year to know if they had a different backup on the roster.

Yes, if Mahomes was the backup, he would dress every game

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought his NFL lawsuit was all over the news long before they planned to bring him in, but maybe those FO guys don't have time to take in much news.

We agree Kaep would be treated differently if he had Brees or Rodgers-level talent

We agree Keap does not have that level of talent - he's better than a number of the backup QB and possibly better than some low-level starters.  Maybe ceiling of Tyrod Taylor, without as good running skill

We agree his political views/behavior impact his being out of the league

But you can't acknowledge that it's the combination of talent-level and behavior/views that have him out of the league

You insist it's just views/behavior

I give up.

For me, that's the bottom line reason why he's not on a roster with less talented/accomplished QBs playing.   

Sorry if this has been asked already, but can anyone tell me if the Bills player #55 (Jerry Hughes?  not sure how old that pic is) is being held by the 49ers OL?

If not, why doesn't that count as holding?  

USATSI_9612806.jpg?itok=1Yt-IEmi&c=41664

Kaep is better than any back up QB outside Nick Foles. In terms of starters he's better than I offer: Tyrod Taylor, Alex Smith, Jameis Winston, Josh McCown, Sam Bradford, Blake Bortles, and Marcus Mariota. You can debate the likes of Joe Flacco and Ryan Tannheill. 

I don't deny that his presence would draw attention but the issue of the slaughter of young black men by law enforcement isn't going away. There are enough black NFL stars on the BLM side of this issue to bring a halt to proceedings on any given Sunday. 

The fact is that NFL owners are colluding against him for his political expressions and thereby denying him a right to his livelihood. It is not unlike Muhammad Ali's ban from boxing for refusing military service in the Vietnam war.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What happened with the Sea Snakes, weren't they about to bring him in?

I thought Baltimore was about to sign him last year, and his GF screwed that up?  

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

For me, that's the bottom line reason why he's not on a roster with less talented/accomplished QBs playing.   

But context is important, no? Hapless has it right. Really good players are cut more slack. If you are going to bring baggage, you better be really good. Otherwise, teams will take a somewhat less talented player who isn't a pain in the keester. It's human nature to avoid unnecessary conflict. I don't think it amounts to a terrible injustice or conspiracy.

It's understandable if every team looked at the situation indivdually and decided that Kaep's talent wasn't worth the trouble.  The issue would be if they all made a collective agreement not to sign him, or if a team that wanted to sign him was discouraged by the league from doing so.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Has any of those less-talented/accomplished QBs made it overtly obvious that football isn't his #1 priority?

Of course it's the bottom line.  As I said originally: he clearly isn't focused on football first, and he's not a good enough player to overcome that along with the distraction that he creates.

If he were more focused on football than on social issues, it's much more likely he'd still have an NFL job.  Now I ask you: who's fault is that?

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Has any of those less-talented/accomplished QBs made it overtly obvious that football isn't his #1 priority?

Of course it's the bottom line.  As I said originally: he clearly isn't focused on football first, and he's not a good enough player to overcome that along with the distraction that he creates.

If he were more focused on football than on social issues, it's much more likely he'd still have an NFL job.  Now I ask you: who's fault is that?

That's what you say with zero evidence to support your claim.  Malcolm Jenkins, Benjamin Watson,  and many other players are heavily involved in the same causes so I don't accept your conclusion that he and others cannot multi-task both on field career aspirations and off the field concerns. 

18 minutes ago, stuvian said:

The fact is that NFL owners are colluding against him for his political expressions and thereby denying him a right to his livelihood.

One more time: he HAD a job offer being written up. His girlfriend completely screwed it up when she publicly suggested that the Ravens owner was a racist and that Ray Lewis was an Uncle Tom.

By the time Kaep decided to sue the league, he was done.

He HAD a chance. It was blown. Not the league's fault.

I appreciate how a few of you want to make him out to be like Muhammed Ali, but it's ridiculous to elevate a mediocre quarterback with an activist girlfriend to one of the greatest athletes to play a sport.

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That's what you say with zero evidence to support your claim.  Malcolm Jenkins, Benjamin Watson,  and many other players are heavily involved in the same causes so I don't accept your conclusion that he and others cannot multi-task both on field career aspirations and off the field concerns

Oh, certain guys can multi-task, sure.  And I never said that they couldn't.

I said that Kaep has made it overtly obvious that football isn't his #1 priority.  I'm hardly the first person to say this...there's this guy named Peter King--he's kind of plugged in when it comes to NFL circles--that indicated that the 49ers felt that to be the case:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/some-49ers-staffers-say-kaepernick-may-prefer-social-activism-to-football/

So again I say: if he were more focused on football than on social issues, it's much more likely he'd still have an NFL job.  And again I ask you: who's fault is that?

16 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Has anyone changed their mind on this issue yet?  Or ever?

Doubt it, otherwise Kaepernick would be on an NFL roster.  His playing days are most likely done, but the media keeps this story alive I would guess because it generates page clicks and this is the slow season of the NFL year.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Oh, certain guys can multi-task, sure.  And I never said that they couldn't.

I said that Kaep has made it overtly obvious that football isn't his #1 priority.  I'm hardly the first person to say this...there's this guy named Peter King--he's kind of plugged in when it comes to NFL circles--that indicated that the 49ers felt that to be the case:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/some-49ers-staffers-say-kaepernick-may-prefer-social-activism-to-football/

So again I say: if he were more focused on football than on social issues, it's much more likely he'd still have an NFL job.  And again I ask you: who's fault is that?

"So Kaepernick has bought a place in downtown Manhattan and lives in the big city fairly anonymously. I spent a long draft weekend with the Niners in California, and there are those in the building who think Kaepernick might actually rather do social justice work full-time than play quarterback. "

Your claim is overstated just from what is quoted in the argument. There's nothing overt about your conclusion based on the linked article. Not surprising given your post the other day that stated the issues raised are dubious.   

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

"So Kaepernick has bought a place in downtown Manhattan and lives in the big city fairly anonymously. I spent a long draft weekend with the Niners in California, and there are those in the building who think Kaepernick might actually rather do social justice work full-time than play quarterback. "

Your claim is overstated just from what is quoted in the argument. There's nothing overt about your conclusion based on the linked article. Not surprising given your post the other day that stated the issues raised are dubious.   

Ah, so Peter King has no idea what he's talking about?  Got it.

Look, the situation is clear to anyone that is looking without an agenda.  He cares more about this stuff than he does about football; else he would've simply stopped kneeling during the anthem, wearing socks that depict police officers as swine, and wearing Castro t-shirts to press conferences.  He chose to do those things; that's his choice, and now he's experiencing the consequences.  If he cared more about football than social issues he'd have made different choices.  It's really, really clear.

And yes, his claims regarding disproportionate police violence against minorities were dubious; they weren't (and still aren't) supported by statistical data (as you and I have discussed before).  It would be wise not to turn to an ad hominem attack simply because the data don't support his assertion; you'll notice that I haven't done that.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You've already lost the argument. 

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Ah, so Peter King has no idea what he's talking about?  Got it.

Look, the situation is clear to anyone that is looking without an agenda.  He cares more about this stuff than he does about football; else he would've simply stopped kneeling during the anthem, wearing socks that depict police officers as swine, and wearing Castro t-shirts to press conferences.  He chose to do those things; that's his choice, and now he's experiencing the consequences.  If he cared more about football than social issues he'd have made different choices.  It's really, really clear.

And yes, his claims regarding disproportionate police violence against minorities were dubious; they weren't (and still aren't) supported by statistical data.  It would be wise not to turn the discussion into an ad hominem attack simply because the data don't support his assertion; you'll notice that I haven't done that.

Weak!  Peter King has no inside knowledge and he just reported what some inside the 49ers organization believe might be CK's priority.  Again I state that there's nothing overtly obvious about what his priorities are based on that article or your opinion based on his actions. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Weak!  Peter King has no inside knowledge and he just reported what some inside the 49ers organization believe might be CK's priority.  Again I state that there's nothing overtly obvious about what his priorities are based on that article. 

Ok then...you're right.  Kaep has shown an unquestioned dedication to football, and clearly does not have other interests outside the game that may be prioritized over things like practice, game preparation, etc. in a way that would make NFL coaches and/or GMs conclude that he cares more about those interests than the job for which he'd be getting paid.