ESPN appears to have terminated comment sections

Just now, Augie said:

Agreed it’s 99% trash. For me personally, I like M&M and Cowherd. M&M is no longer the same, and Cowherd is on FSN, as is BE basketball. I now watch more Fox than ESPN in general. ESPN is still the king, but I’ve been watching a lot of World Cup lately too. The world is changing to some degree....

Cowherd is on my list of people I want to punch.  He caters to big markets.  His gambling picks were ok though.  I really liked Van Pelt and Russillo.  

Just curious. Did ESPN announce the termination of the comments section? I never comment there, so I'm asking for someone in the know. The reason I ask is, I visit several sites who have temporarily suspended comments until they can comply with the GDPR regs. Just wondering if that might be the reason.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Cowherd is on my list of people I want to punch.  He caters to big markets.  His gambling picks were ok though.  I really liked Van Pelt and Russillo.  

I know a TON of people hate Cowherd, but I liked him even from a small market. Not LOVE, but far better than most of what I hear, IMO.  I’m sure he’d rather be hated than ignored. Isn’t Russillo out of ESPN now? I heard him on Fox recently, but as a guest. Not sure if he’s hanging his hat there in some way, but they talked about him making a change. Could be ESPN didn’t like his “wild night” stuff? 

56 minutes ago, Augie said:

I know a TON of people hate Cowherd, but I liked him even from a small market. Not LOVE, but far better than most of what I hear, IMO.  I’m sure he’d rather be hated than ignored. Isn’t Russillo out of ESPN now? I heard him on Fox recently, but as a guest. Not sure if he’s hanging his hat there in some way, but they talked about him making a change. Could be ESPN didn’t like his “wild night” stuff? 

Russillo is still technically with ESPN and does a podcast once a week.  He moved to LA to try and be a screen writer and work out at Venice Beach.  

Strangely, even though I disagree with the majority of his takes, I’ve gotten to not hate Will Cain.  It’s crazy because I thought conservatives weren’t allowed at ESPN. ?

Just now, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

150 layoffs later, and plummeting viewership ratings, I’d say they are taking it where the sun don’t shine. 

And 7 times bigger than their next “rival.”

Nascar ratings have fallen too.  Must be the politics there too.

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Not a fan of the NFL LIVE show or even the Sunday morning before the games now that Bergman and Jackson are gone.  I still the old Prime Time they used to do at 7 pm where Bergman was classic Bergman in his description of plays and players.  My boys as before my daughter and even my wife liked watching it as she thought he was hilarious.

i simply watch NFN or later the network previews as they are better for me.  I also like NFLR in the morning.  The only NFL show I still record is match up, but even they have changed with getting rid of Jaws and Hodge.  I loved those guys.  Don’t get me wrong I love Cosell on air now, but the other guy sucks.  At least they still have Sal.

Have a happy 4th guys!  I’m sure all of you deserve a nice family day and bbq.

Bergman :lol:

I wonder if the World Cup trash talk put it over the top. During the Olympics and WC, the international trolling can get pretty ridiculous/vicious.

Maybe I'll bring my vast array of subjective opinions to this site. :)

Happy 4th! I'm goin fishin.

Edited by CoachD123
Additional thoughts.

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

you don't watch

college football or basketball

prime time NFL games

the NBA

at all?

Anything I might watch on ESPN is game and game only. Not the on air "talent".

Don't have time usually for college football. Monday night game have typically sucked and don't appeal often and the NBA absolutely BLOWS!

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

i would still pay a premium monthly cable fee to get ESPN

you couldn't fathom the trash that Canada has in the name of sports reporting from 2 networks...

there hasn't been a decent NCAA hi-lite run on my screen since CNN dropped Nick Charles and Fred Hickman after 9/11

My sympathies.:unsure:

CBS Sports did it a long time ago too.  It's a shame because I like the comments. ESPN and CBS had so many crappy articles with bad reporting, bad grammar, spelling mistakes and  just plain ignorance that I loved seeing all the troll shame the crap out of them.  

Edited by BillsRdue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

CBS Sports did it a long time ago too.  It's a shame because I like the comments. ESPN and CBS had so many crappy articles with bad reporting, grammar and spelling mistakes, and  just plain ignorance that I loved seeing all the troll shame the crap out of them.  

So true. If you really want to melt your brain you should sit down and read PFT. So many mistakes, typos, etc. in almost every post. I guess Florio can’t hire a proofreader.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

And 7 times bigger than their next “rival.”

Nascar ratings have fallen too.  Must be the politics there too.

Regardless, I’m not sure that it’s all that brag worthy that he stopped watching a sports channel because their annual award show gave the wrong person recognition years ago. 

I mean, ultimately, it’s a “you do you” situation — but I think it’s lost on many who made the choice to boycott that they were precisely the reason Jenner’s decision was even considered courageous in the first place. 

3 hours ago, The Dean said:

Just curious. Did ESPN announce the termination of the comments section? I never comment there, so I'm asking for someone in the know. The reason I ask is, I visit several sites who have temporarily suspended comments until they can comply with the GDPR regs. Just wondering if that might be the reason.

Logic.  Sheesh.  

That would defeat the purpose of a thread bashing ESPN

lol

Usually the comments are either ESPN or liberals suck. You can just imagine these comments yourself when you read an article now. Not that you read ESPN cause it sucks. 

Edited by nedboy7

I guess this is the bi-monthly TSW B word fest thread regarding ESPN.

It has a slot in the rotation with: newspapers in general and The Buffalo News specifically, WGR in general and  Schopp & The Bulldog specifically, Colin Kaepernick/anthem protesting (that's in another current thread), past failed Bills QBs long gone from the organization, and last but not least, Doug Marrone.

:lol:  

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I guess this is the bi-monthly TSW B word fest thread regarding ESPN.

It has a slot in the rotation with: newspapers in general and The Buffalo News specifically, WGR in general and  Schopp & The Bulldog specifically, Colin Kaepernick/anthem protesting (that's in another current thread), past failed Bills QBs long gone from the organization, and last but not least, Doug Marrone.

:lol:  

Flutie should have started against Tennessee!

• Haha (+1) 1