ESPN appears to have terminated comment sections

Most people here share my affinity to read opinions as well as share our own via online messages. Well it seems as if the days of commenting on ESPN articles have come to an abrupt end. I personally feel like most of it was pure garbage so I can totally understand this decision. My personal favorites are the comments that trash ESPN, made by people who constantly take time out their lives to increase hits on a website they claim has fallen off long ago.

In 2013 they turned it into a Facebook comments section feeling it would fix alot of the trolling as people would need to reveal their identities...did very little to curb most of the trolling and fruitless political and racial arguments that dominated all too often. My theory is that most people simply don't fear anyone they personally know will see their comments. I've read countless ESPN comment sections over the years and never came across any of the thousands of people I personally know. I've posted probably hundreds of comments since 2013 and not once has anyone told me they saw my comment on an ESPN article. Oh well. At the end of the day it's probably for the better.

RIP ESPN Comment Sections

Edited by StHustle
  • Like (+1) 1

Last time and only time I ever said anything to them is when they gave Bruce Jenner the espy for courage instead of the woman college basketball player who fought and played w cancer! Told them I'd never listen nor watch their channel again. Haven't and don't miss it all. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....more and more sites across the gamut are suspending or eliminating comments sections.........many of the automobile sites I go to have done that....children can't "play nice" I guess.......

Or sometimes, the host can't stand to hear the truth.

• Like (+1) 2

Not a fan of the NFL LIVE show or even the Sunday morning before the games now that Bergman and Jackson are gone.  I still the old Prime Time they used to do at 7 pm where Bergman was classic Bergman in his description of plays and players.  My boys as before my daughter and even my wife liked watching it as she thought he was hilarious.

i simply watch NFN or later the network previews as they are better for me.  I also like NFLR in the morning.  The only NFL show I still record is match up, but even they have changed with getting rid of Jaws and Hodge.  I loved those guys.  Don’t get me wrong I love Cosell on air now, but the other guy sucks.  At least they still have Sal.

Have a happy 4th guys!  I’m sure all of you deserve a nice family day and bbq.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Sack up ESPN

...."terminate" is better......it's permanent versus coming back after a sack............waiting for Joy Behar to be the new "Sportscenter host".......

2 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Not a fan of the NFL LIVE show or even the Sunday morning before the games now that Bergman and Jackson are gone.  I still the old Prime Time they used to do at 7 pm where Bergman was classic Bergman in his description of plays and players.  My boys as before my daughter and even my wife liked watching it as she thought he was hilarious.

i simply watch NFN or later the network previews as they are better for me.  I also like NFLR in the morning.  The only NFL show I still record is match up, but even they have changed with getting rid of Jaws and Hodge.  I loved those guys.  Don’t get me wrong I love Cosell on air now, but the other guy sucks.  At least they still have Sal.

Have a happy 4th guys!  I’m sure all of you deserve a nice family day and bbq.

....same to you and your gang bud.:thumbsup:.....assume you meant BERMAN versus BERGMAN.......hated to see Tommy Jackson run out of town.....like watching NFLN but cannot stand the obnoxious duo of Irvin & Sanders.......Willie McGinnest does an excellent job along with others....

8 hours ago, StHustle said:

Most people here share my affinity to read opinions as well as share our own via online messages. Well it seems as if the days of commenting on ESPN articles have come to an abrupt end. I personally feel like most of it was pure garbage so I can totally understand this decision. My personal favorites are the comments that trash ESPN, made by people who constantly take time out their lives to increase hits on a website they claim has fallen off long ago.

In 2013 they turned it into a Facebook comments section feeling it would fix alot of the trolling as people would need to reveal their identities...did very little to curb most of the trolling and fruitless political and racial arguments that dominated all too often. My theory is that most people simply don't fear anyone they personally know will see their comments. I've read countless ESPN comment sections over the years and never came across any of the thousands of people I personally know. I've posted probably hundreds of comments since 2013 and not once has anyone told me they saw my comment on an ESPN article. Oh well. At the end of the day it's probably for the better.

RIP ESPN Comment Sections

It really is window into the soul of people and it’s scary what you see there in many of them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BigdaddyinOrlando said:

Last time and only time I ever said anything to them is when they gave Bruce Jenner the espy for courage instead of the woman college basketball player who fought and played w cancer! Told them I'd never listen nor watch their channel again. Haven't and don't miss it all. 

Take that, ESPN. Take. That.

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

I didn't know people still watch or read ESPN. weird.

Yeah, ESPN died. It’s crazy.  It still is only a billion dollar company.  Both the Nfl and ESPN are dying and probably won’t exist in. It will be all Fox sports and xfl!!!

and as someone who reads the comments, it’s probably better they don’t exist.  It’s depressing to how there are “people” with some of the opinions they have.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Many times the comment sections are filled with two or three people trading inside jokes and insults. Occasionally somebody posts something informative or thought provoking, but that is getting more and more rare. 

Are you trying to say something?...Your statement reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on it...?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013