Shady McCoy: "I Have More to Prove"

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

If he didn't complain last year he's not going to complain now.

He is coming off a year where he watched the team he used to love and play for win the Super Bowl.  Was a little worried he might come into camp discouraged.  He’s saying all the right stuff though and seems to mean it 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Jeetz1231 said:

I really hope he is the exception to the rule, love the guy and love his attitude and I really hope he doesn't have the precipitous drop like most RB's do. I would love if he could be serviceable this year and we could get a stud in the mid rounds next year.

approaching 2200 carries on his odometer, practically tied with Earl Campbell's career

8 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

He is coming off a year where he watched the team he used to love and play for win the Super Bowl.  Was a little worried he might come into camp discouraged.  He’s saying all the right stuff though and seems to mean it 

He's shooting for cementing his HOF status now. 

10 minutes ago, row_33 said:

approaching 2200 carries on his odometer, practically tied with Earl Campbell's career

....and Earl took a beating.......Fieri had him on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" episode........best he could do was shuffle along......pretty sure Dirty Bird Jamaal and Larry Johnson both had 400 carry seasons....DeMarco had 392......just too much of a beating....Shady is averaging 243 and was at 287 in 2017......don't think 287 again in 2018 is reasonable or prudent....

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

i dunno about that the way things are going with RBs....

I think that 12,000 will get him in.  The only player who has more than 12,000 and isn't in the HOF is Edge James, but I have no idea why.

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....and Earl took a beating.......Fieri had him on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" episode........best he could do was shuffle along......pretty sure Dirty Bird Jamaal and Larry Johnson both had 400 carry seasons....DeMarco had 392......just too much of a beating....Shady is averaging 243 and was at 287 in 2017......don't think 287 again in 2018 is reasonable or prudent....

Yes Campbell did.  And I caught a segment on NFLN with Willie McGinest and he was talking about the 4 RB's he's seen who could avoid taking the big hit and thus a major injury and they were Barry Sanders, LT, Shady and I think the fourth was Marshall Faulk.

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

McCoy is going to have a tough year and it’s not going to be his fault.  I think he is great but I would honestly think about moving him before his value falls off a cliff.

You likely wouldn't get near the value you would get keeping him. 

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think that 12,000 will get him in.  The only player who has more than 12,000 and isn't in the HOF is Edge James, but I have no idea why.

Yes Campbell did.  And I caught a segment on NFLN with Willie McGinest and he was talking about the 4 RB's he's seen who could avoid taking the big hit and thus a major injury and they were Barry Sanders, LT, Shady and I think the fourth was Marshall Faulk.

True but it would be something.  I won’t mind a 4th and I don’t know if you get that with an in season trade.

I’ve grown to love McCoy.  He is a different guy than in Philly.  I just feel like with our offense, he is going to struggle.  IMO, he was a guy I’d trade over a 24 year old wr last year.   Rbs, even as good as McCoy is, are just easier to replace.

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

I respectfully disagree.  Bills aren't going to be playoff ready this year.  Letting McCoy get another year older and be part of a losing Bills team, instead of grabbing a couple draft picks for him, is something I'm against.

36 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

True but it would be something.  I won’t mind a 4th and I don’t know if you get that with an in season trade.

I’ve grown to love McCoy.  He is a different guy than in Philly.  I just feel like with our offense, he is going to struggle.  IMO, he was a guy I’d trade over a 24 year old wr last year.   Rbs, even as good as McCoy is, are just easier to replace.

I wouldn't trade him for a 4th.  And I doubt they'd even be offered that. 

I don't think he's any different than in Philly.  Maybe he's more accepting of a smaller market because he's seen one up-close, but he was always a great player and teammate there. 

As for Sammy, to keep him would have meant paying him $14M this season.  Given you think that Shady will struggle because of the QB/OL situations, the same would hold true for Sammy.  And Sammy will be hard-pressed to live up to the contract he signed with the Chefs and I'll bet that Shady finishes with more total yards than he does.

35 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I respectfully disagree.  Bills aren't going to be playoff ready this year.  Letting McCoy get another year older and be part of a losing Bills team, instead of grabbing a couple draft picks for him, is something I'm against.

See last year.  Never say never.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

....kind of think I'd throw Thurmal in there to round out the top 5....that "bad knee guy" we stole in the 2nd proved pretty durable and elusive as well....

3 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I think this is an absolutely awful take on shady for this season. Time will tell. 

As I reading his long post I was wondering.... isn’t there a dude that routinely has crap takes on shady and is it this dude? 

Must be it is. 

My takes on McCoy have been pretty dead-nuts-on actually.

A lot was made of me saying he'd be done at 30 when they acquired him(Shady in radio)..........but that was hardly a reach with the direction his career was going when they acquired him. 

My issue was his piss poor attitude in blaming his dropoff in 2014 on Chip Kelly(training, racism etc..) instead of facing the fact that he was dancing too much and trying to take every run to the sideline in a league with increasingly faster LB's.......a critically bad habit that McCoy was in denial about......and one he brought to Buffalo in 2015.    As Bills fans apologists are so fond of saying Kelly "had no choice" but to move on.   McCoy had the fewest yards per touch in the NFL in 2014 and he was in complete denial.

Along with that general lack of accountability.......... the accompanying high mileage began to show itself in his last year in Philly with a nagging toe injury that carried over to Bills camp which eventually lead to a hip issue and then a hamstring issue which he's struggled with the entire time he has been in Buffalo.   I can't say for sure what the Bills thought they were getting but his days as a high production 300 carry back were over.

He predictably fell miles short of expectation in his first season in Buffalo..........the same people whining about my McCoy takes were predicting he'd put up 2,000 total yards and he didn't even reach 900 RUSHING yards.  

But the day after he tore his MCL in that terrible performance in Washington(where the other RB's excelled).........probably the lowest point of his career after Kelly humiliated him the week before by game planning to take advantage of his bad habit of bouncing every run outside....... I said right here on TSW that he could be a 5.5 ypc high TD RB in 2016 if he grew up, got focused on being a Bill and started following the design of the Greg Roman run game the way Gillislee and Karlos had.  

And he did just that and nailed my prediction within one tenth of a yard.

He was just a punk when he got to Buffalo and by no means worthy of the 2018 and 2019 extension years the Bills gave him.   But he grew up.....better late than never.......as selfish players often do when they taste real humility(take note Sammy haters).   

The Bills were doing well using him for around 200 carries and should have been scaling that back each season......I figured 175-200 should be his range last year....... to get maximum per touch production.   Instead they beat the **** out of him with 275 carries.   Like it or not those carry totals are proven to matter.

If you just need 3.9 ypc then you don't need McCoy for that.   You are better off with a 230# RB beating up the defense if you are game planning to run for sub-league average(4.2ypc is average).    They need the McCoy who can give you closer to 5 ypc and be fresh late in the season.    He has finished each of his 3 regular seasons in Buffalo being carted off.   Literally carted off the field.     After the wear and tear of last year I am not sure he has that in him but I sure hope so.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yes, but persistence pays off. He’ll be right one of these years. Then we’ll never hear the end of it...

Best case scenario; we win the SB in the next 3 years and Shady rides off into the sunset.??

McCoy won me over in the winter of 2016 when he admitted he needed to grow up and start following the design of the Roman offense because he left a ton of plays on the field in 2015......and then actually did what he said he was going to do.

Been a huge fan since.   Great teammate.....lives in the inside of the field he once shied from....... and has done a good job biting his once forked tongue and being a good soldier.

But if he falls into oblivion in his age 30 season........thereby not justifying the new contract the Bills gave him at acquisition(his original Eagles deal would not even have expired until this past March).........then file my being "right" under water(or beer) being wet.  :beer:  It was hardly a reach.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

McCoy won me over in the winter of 2016 when he admitted he needed to grow up and start following the design of the Roman offense because he left a ton of plays on the field in 2015......and then actually did what he said he was going to do.

Been a huge fan since.   Great teammate.....lives in the inside of the field he once shied from....... and has done a good job biting his once forked tongue and being a good soldier.

But if he falls into oblivion in his age 30 season........thereby not justifying the new contract the Bills gave him at acquisition(his original Eagles deal would not even have expired until this past March).........then file my being "right" under water(or beer) being wet.  :beer:  It was hardly a reach.  

...he will if the OBD expectation is a steady diet of 287 carries ala 2017.......if so, then the mantra is to "churn 'em and burn 'em" after 2018.....doubt he'd be trade bait if so....but I think with $85+ mil in FA dollars to spend in 2018, McBeane could roll some of those dollars over into 2019, designate him a June 1 cut and spread the $9 mil cap hit over two years....

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

That story about Earl is just a bummer. Such a great player !

I suspect Ivory will get more and better reps than Tolbert did. And in a healthy cadet and a meager enough passing and Shadys reps should drop but improve.

Hated to see him getting buried last year with runs that just were not going to open up. 
Have become a big Fan of LeShady !
I hope he can retire a Bill after he hits his 12,000 and we make a string of Playoffs +

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

Keep in mind with TT under center opposing defenses stacked the box hard, limiting McCoy's opportunities.  This season with a QB willing to throw deep, Shady should have a little manuevering room.

That's our hope ! and the O Line will come together sooner than later under Daboll.

Good point about last years circumstances for  running the ball.

Playcalling for Shady will likely decide his longer term health and fate. Dude can break one open anytime with a bit of help.

But to Biscuits point, I do agree at this point L McCoy might have tough time if the blocking and passing game do not step up in general  over last season

26 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...he will if the OBD expectation is a steady diet of 287 carries ala 2017.......if so, then the mantra is to "churn 'em and burn 'em" after 2018.....doubt he'd be trade bait if so....but I think with $85+ mil in FA dollars to spend in 2018, McBeane could roll some of those dollars over into 2019, designate him a June 1 cut and spread the $9 mil cap hit over two years....

No please don't even do the math.

Much like Badoll learned to dig this guy. Bills need to be much smarter how they used him last year. keep in mind how he performed the passing game  last year?
he was the passing game

Edited by 3rdand12

15 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

That story about Earl is just a bummer. Such a great player !

I suspect Ivory will get more and better reps than Tolbert did. And in a healthy cadet and a meager enough passing and Shadys reps should drop but improve.

Hated to see him getting buried last year with runs that just were not going to open up. 
Have become a big Fan of LeShady !
I hope he can retire a Bill after he hits his 12,000 and we make a string of Playoffs +

...Earl was such a punishing RB....he had those massive "Robert Newhouse thighs (from the Cowgirls)"......just my dumbass speculation, but Tolbert was signed more for his vet locker room presence versus RB prowess.......Ivory was signed (IMO) for his lead blocking and punishing north-south style (has something left in the tank)...transition Shady's role into a more "Thurmal type" with less carries and 50+ touches out of the backfield and hope that Cadet, Murphy or Taiwan Jones can be the next "Kenneth Davis" as in "Thurmal relief"....

4 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

No please don't even do the math.

Much like Badoll learned to dig this guy. Bills need to be much smarter how they used him last year. keep in mind how he performed the passing game  last year?
he was the passing game

...damn you're spot on (shocking-COUGH).....get Shady and ?? into a Thurmal type role with less carries and 50 touches out of the backfield and a Kenneth Davis type guy to emerge from the youngsters.....hell even our TRIO of QB "busts" may even succeed, right?.....if only Josh Rosen was the pick................(COUGH)

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Spot on about how they should use Ivory.

Shady is at his best with tired LBs on the field. He just need to juke one to get the first down.
Cadet is nice option to drop in. Hope he can remain healthy. Thats was tough injury last year.

I expected Bills to grind Tolbert and just use him up between tackles. wear em down kinda option.
Guess that box being stacked each week was the end of that idea