Shady McCoy: "I Have More to Prove"

Buffalo Bills running back LeSean McCoy is the 30th player in NFL history to hit the 10,000-yard mark. Though entering his 10th season, McCoy doesn't plan on slowing down.

"I have more to prove," McCoy said, via PennLive.com. "It's just like, 'How long can he keep doing it? How long can he keep being productive?' And that drives me. It really does."

McCoy, who is listed at 5-foot-10, 210 pounds, has stated in the past that his goal is to achieve 12,000 yards rushing on his career. And part of his plan includes adjusting his diet as he continues his career.

"We have a great thing going on there," McCoy told PennLive.com. "I'm trusting the process with [head coach] Sean McDermott and [general manager] Brandon Beane. We got a nice team, so I'm happy to be a part of that and I think it's a big future for us."

• Like (+1) 1

What he's gotta prove is that his huge ypc decline in 2017 was entirely the fault of Rick Dennison/Sean McDermott coaching and in-game decisions and not just the cliff drop that happens to pretty much every high carry running back at 29-30 years old.

The whole "he's different than other RB's" narrative is the same thing that is uttered with regard to all good RB's.   And then those dudes fall off the cliff anyway.   

His 29 year old 2017 season looked a lot like Ladainian Tomlinson's 29 year old season.   LT dropped from 4.5 ypc at 28 to 3.8 ypc in his year 29 season.... but he put up 1100 yards and 11 TD's so it was still productive enough to not seem like the end of his stardom.    But he was never a star again after that season.

Personally I am concerned that McD and Beane might have burned up McCoy last season.    He was being carefully managed his first couple seasons in Buffalo.  But he got about 75-100 carries too many last year IMO.    Poor work by McD and Beane stocking the RB corps.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I really hope he is the exception to the rule, love the guy and love his attitude and I really hope he doesn't have the precipitous drop like most RB's do. I would love if he could be serviceable this year and we could get a stud in the mid rounds next year.

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm pleasantly surprised he hasn't complained about being on a rebuilding team at this point in his career.

gotta say i'm surprised too. i figured him to be a tell it like it is guy so, he must really believe in what he is seeing so far...

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What he's gotta prove is that his huge ypc decline in 2017 was entirely the fault of Rick Dennison/Sean McDermott coaching and in-game decisions and not just the cliff drop that happens to pretty much every high carry running back at 29-30 years old.

The whole "he's different than other RB's" narrative is the same thing that is uttered with regard to all good RB's.   And then those dudes fall off the cliff anyway.   

His 29 year old 2017 season looked a lot like Ladainian Tomlinson's 29 year old season.   LT dropped from 4.5 ypc at 28 to 3.8 ypc in his year 29 season.... but he put up 1100 yards and 11 TD's so it was still productive enough to not seem like the end of his stardom.    But he was never a star again after that season.

Personally I am concerned that McD and Beane might have burned up McCoy last season.    He was being carefully managed his first couple seasons in Buffalo.  But he got about 75-100 carries too many last year IMO.    Poor work by McD and Beane stocking the RB corps.

And there it is.  Someone starts a Shady thread and here you are, coming up with another "take" for why he's about to fall off the cliff.  So damned predictable.  It must be tough to have to look at how dead-ass wrong you've been about McCoy and his value to the Bills.  :lol:

Happy 4th, dude.  Go Bills.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

....ideally and hopefully to prolong his career, get him into a more versatile "Thurmal type" role with 50 catches out of the backfield......then find the next "Kenneth Davis" among the youngsters on the roster to be the perfect relief compliment.....throw in Ivory as the lead blocker as well as your powerful north/south punishing RB.......

10 hours ago, Augie said:

Kale and avocado smoothies, right?   Is that the Brady diet?

(With discreet PED’s for dessert?)

I think he'll be fine if he just sticks to a glass of 'Veggie-Boy' at each meal.

Frasier Crane:  "Kale was not a good idea."

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Shady is a no go in fantasy.

Shady won’t reach 200 carries this season, if he does he will be under 4 YPC. The Bills could have traded a guy like Shaq for a 4th rounder and got a fresh set of legs at RB. 

Teams did go early on a lot of backs this draft so that may have ruined any plans the Bills did have. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

And there it is.  Someone starts a Shady thread and here you are, coming up with another "take" for why he's about to fall off the cliff.  So damned predictable.  It must be tough to have to look at how dead-ass wrong you've been about McCoy and his value to the Bills.  :lol:

Yes, but persistence pays off. He’ll be right one of these years. Then we’ll never hear the end of it...

Best case scenario; we win the SB in the next 3 years and Shady rides off into the sunset.??

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's a concern.  As far as LT, he did have a bit of a resurgence with the Jets - back up to 4.2 YPA and 914 yds - the main thing is he was no longer able to take the number of carries he had in his prime, and even with fewer he missed a game and was limited in a couple, due to injuries.  Didn't that Bolts have like, no OL his last year with them?

Anyway an argument could be made that LT had a couple good years in him after his 29 yr old season, but he needed to be managed in a way it's not clear McDermott will.

The real question with Shady IMO is the OL.  He has never been a back who could pound out his carries however.  He has always needed a good OL to do what he does.

20 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Shady is a no go in fantasy.

Shady won’t reach 200 carries this season, if he does he will be under 4 YPC. The Bills could have traded a guy like Shaq for a 4th rounder and got a fresh set of legs at RB. 

Teams did go early on a lot of backs this draft so that may have ruined any plans the Bills did have. 

I think this is an absolutely awful take on shady for this season. Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

As I reading his long post I was wondering.... isn’t there a dude that routinely has crap takes on shady and is it this dude? 

Must be it is. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's a concern.  As far as LT, he did have a bit of a resurgence with the Jets - back up to 4.2 YPA and 914 yds - the main thing is he was no longer able to take the number of carries he had in his prime, and even with fewer he missed a game and was limited in a couple, due to injuries.  Didn't that Bolts have like, no OL his last year with them?

Anyway an argument could be made that LT had a couple good years in him after his 29 yr old season, but he needed to be managed in a way it's not clear McDermott will.

......exactly why we need a "Thurmal-Kenneth Davis type duo" with Ivory as your lead blocker/punisher.....expect Shady to take a pounding and you'll use him up early........

Old Timer, I agree as I’d love to see Ivory take a little pressure off Shady, but he’s won me over and want to see him keep climbing the ranks.  The more playoff appearances and hopefully wins, we’ll see if he get the notoriety he deserves.  The way he is playing he is already a HOF in my book.  If he gains a couple to few more thousand yards could mean first ballot.

id actually fly up for that induction ceremony with the boys.  I want and want my boys to see Canton.

33 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yes, but persistence pays off. He’ll be right one of these years. Then we’ll never hear the end of it...

Best case scenario; we win the SB in the next 3 years and Shady rides off into the sunset.??

Quick fix for you, there.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm pleasantly surprised he hasn't complained about being on a rebuilding team at this point in his career.

Same here.  The pessimistic side to me is always waiting for his ego/attitude to come out but it hasn’t 

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

If he didn't complain last year he's not going to complain now.