Reuben Foster; Suspension

32 minutes ago, JohnC said:

For some people the Civil War never ended. The trench war stage may be over with but not the perpetual guerrilla war. :ph34r:

perhaps it hasn't  ? Regardless of Lincoln's most sincere and worthwhile efforts.
Some folks carry on a war that ended. Some have no idea of why it happened or that it did.

Evolution is not just for Neanderthals 

56 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Alabama has made tremendous strides in upgrading the university and making it a signature state school with some national and world recognized programs in the medical and science field. The recognition that they are getting in the academic world is well deserved. I have read where some students who have garnered scholarships from Harvard and other Ivy League schools have declined offers and instead decided to pursue their studies at Bama. No question that the University academic profile is on the rise, and deservedly so. 

However, too often when a Bama player is criticized the reflexive response from some Crimson Tide fans is that it is an assault on the integrity of the school and the south. That isn't the case for me and others who are discussing the Foster issue. There is simply too much defensiveness and tribalism when an Alabama player is under scrutiny.  Or another way of looking at it is that by stereotyping the critics as biased toward the school and region it is a way of skirting the issue that is under discussion. 

I was just responding to a troll. To suggest there isn’t a bias against the south in general and Alabama in particular, especially from northeast elitists, is naive.

You are corect. There are many students at Alabama who turned down acceptances at Ivy League schools. Alabama has one of the highest enrollments of National Merit Scholars.

This student made national news recently.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/ronald-nelson-turned-down-every-ivy-league-school-for-university-of-alabama-2015-5

Turns out I was correct in defending Foster against the false domestic violence claims. The woman’s accusations didn’t make sense.

Foster graduated from Alabama. The insinuation that he is stupid just shows more bias. And what does what he does after graduation have to do with the university? Is the university supposed be responsible to for every decision that a graduate makes until he dies?

The ignorance and jealousy here is overwhelming. UA is a football powerhouse and a fine academic institution. Just accept it.

3 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Lmao who cares... foster is not reliable 

Good God how many crappy characters have the 49ers linebacker corps over the years. Makes me wonder if Willis and that rookie that retired early looked around at Navarro Bowman, Ray Maulaga, Aldon Smith, and did not have fun being around em.

I should caveat that I don't think this particular guy is a poor character for just this. Just reminded me of that crazy talented LB Corp that could barely get on the field together with all those off field issues.

5 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Good God how many crappy characters have the 49ers linebacker corps over the years. Makes me wonder if Willis and that rookie that retired early looked around at Navarro Bowman, Ray Maulaga, Aldon Smith, and did not have fun being around em.

I should caveat that I don't think this particular guy is a poor character for just this. Just reminded me of that crazy talented LB Corp that could barely get on the field together with all those off field issues.

56 NFL players have been suspended in 2017 - 2018. Suspensions aren’t unusual occurrences, sadly.

9 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Ive got to ask for my own curiosity- are you a Tuscaloosa guy or an at a distance fan?

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Ive got to ask for my own curiosity- are you a Tuscaloosa guy or an at a distance fan?

I am a northeasterner, but I am not an elitist and I have traveled enough that I don't have stupid stereotypical views of different regions of the US.  

I try not to judge a book by it's cover either.

Edited by Sky Diver

12 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

I was just responding to a troll. To suggest there isn’t a bias against the south in general and Alabama in particular, especially from northeast elitists, is naive.

You are corect. There are many students at Alabama who turned down acceptances at Ivy League schools. Alabama has one of the highest enrollments of National Merit Scholars.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/ronald-nelson-turned-down-every-ivy-league-school-for-university-of-alabama-2015-5

Turns out I was correct in defending Foster against the false domestic violence claims. The woman’s accusations didn’t make sense.

What makes less sense is his decision to be involved with a crazy woman. That is another example of his less than judicious decision-making. He also has the distinction of being the only person sent home from the combine because he got in a dispute with a hospital staff member. And he is going to be sidelined the first two games of the season for an accumulation of questionable behavior. 

No question there are people who have biases against Alabama and the south. Yet you fail to realize that very often biases go in a number of directions, both north and south. And what you fail to acknowledge is that even though a person is biased that doesn't mean that every position taken is wrong. Biased or not taking the position that Foster is immature is far from being a radical thought when applied to this individual who is constantly embroiled in a turmoil of his own making. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Lol at the accusation of bias in favor of northeastern schools.  When all of those disgusting things happened at Penn State, there were people on here crying foul at the treatment of poor old JoPa in a similarly creepy way to your obsession with Alabama.  They too were met with refutations that they just could not grasp.

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

What makes less sense is his decision to be involved with a crazy woman. That is another example of his less than judicious decision-making. He also has the distinction of being the only person sent home from the combine because he got in a dispute with a hospital staff member. And he is going to be sidelined the first two games of the season for an accumulation of questionable behavior. 

No question there are people who have biases against Alabama and the south. Yet you fail to realize that very often biases go in a number of directions, both north and south. And what you fail to acknowledge is that even though a person is biased that doesn't mean that every position taken is wrong. Biased or not taking the position that Foster is immature is far from being a radical thought when applied to this individual who is constantly embroiled in a turmoil of his own making. 

56 other NFL players were suspended in 2017 - 2018, the vast majority for more games than Foster.

A young guy smokes pot and makes a bad decision on a girlfriend. He isn't the first and won't be the last. And I'm not a pot advocate. He needs to cut it out.

There was a rush to judgment on Foster's guilt and a lot of piling on for a guy that doesn't even play for Buffalo. Based on what? The way he looks, his hairstyle, his home state, his socio-economic status, his family background? All very strange.

Edelman got busted for PEDs. I don't see anyone making a connection with Kent State.

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Lol at the accusation of bias in favor of northeastern schools.  When all of those disgusting things happened at Penn State, there were people on here crying foul at the treatment of poor old JoPa in a similarly creepy way to your obsession with Alabama.  They too were met with refutations that they just could not grasp.

Lol, you are comparing Foster with Paterno? I didn't bring Foster up on a Bills forum, but I'll respond to ignorant comments.

Why are Bills fans so obsessed with Reuben Foster as he has absolutely nothing to do with Buffalo?

13 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Haha, I think you’re referring to me as a troll but I think you have it reverse.  You are the biggest troll on here about Alabama players and attacking Josh Rosen (who made a crazy statement that Alabama players aren’t receiving quality educations).

1) Alabama is a great school for the state of Alabama.  Alabama also has one of the worst education systems in the US and is ranked 110 overall.  https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-alabama-1051

2). Foster is far from the only Bama player with arrests.  There’s a great website called google they should teach you about there.  Google Alabama football players arrested.  Not pretty.  

How’s Rolando McClain doing these days?  Compare this to Stanford, a far superior academic school, and how many players they get arrested.

So in closing, Alabama is the best college football program in the country.  The academics at U of A are tied for 110 in the country.  And Saban recruits some shady but talented players who are taking classes like basket weaving.  

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/3/2018 at 3:21 PM, Augie said:

Do they just hand this out at the rookie symposium? A lot of the guys probably couldn’t put those words together in that order, and a few might not be able to insert the team name. 

I am expected him to read it word for word and forget to edit it to the proper team etc

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Haha, I think you’re referring to me as a troll but I think you have it reverse.  You are the biggest troll on here about Alabama players and attacking Josh Rosen (who made a crazy statement that Alabama players aren’t receiving quality educations).

1) Alabama is a great school for the state of Alabama.  Alabama also has one of the worst education systems in the US and is ranked 110 overall.  https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-alabama-1051

2). Foster is far from the only Bama player with arrests.  There’s a great website called google they should teach you about there.  Google Alabama football players arrested.  Not pretty.  

How’s Rolando McClain doing these days?  Compare this to Stanford, a far superior academic school, and how many players they get arrested.

So in closing, Alabama is the best college football program in the country.  The academics at U of A are tied for 110 in the country.  And Saban recruits some shady but talented players who are taking classes like basket weaving.  

The fact that you treat the US News & World Report rankings as Gospel demonstrates that you aren't serious.

Stanford players don't get in trouble? Hmm.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/19/former-nfl-player-arrested-in-oregon-naked/

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/29/sports/football/stanford-football-rape-accusation.html

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/02/06/stanford-football-star-arrested/

https://stanforddailyarchive.com/cgi-bin/stanford?a=d&d=stanford20040430-01.2.43&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN-------

https://stanforddailyarchive.com/cgi-bin/stanford?a=d&d=stanford19860106-01.2.4&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN-------

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1986/01/03/Three-Stanford-football-players-including-starting-safety-Sam-Sutherland/3793505112400/

https://valleycentral.com/news/mexico/former-nfl-player-arrested-in-reynosa

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2018/02/23/ex-stanford-49ers-player-jonathan-martin-detained-by-police/

https://www.apnews.com/b1bbc618c1e64329a0ef29d3649260b8

Not pretty.

So in closing, other than acknowledging the obvious - Alabama does have the best football team in the country - you have no idea what you are talking about.

Edited by Sky Diver

Image result for mj popcorn

It's like @Sky Diver cannot see the forest through the trees. Dude EVERYONE but you is stating that Foster makes questionable decisions and cannot be counted on for a season because of them... and now this has manifested into a defense of the university like it is being attacked?? Foster has a lot of baggage already, his fault or not but paint the narrative like, "he smoked a little pot and had bad girlfriend, so what" does not not paint the whole picture. You also said he needs to lay off the weed and that was the problem, right? In that case are we as fans justified in knowing he can and will be suspended because it is against the rules or is it blasphemous to say that about Alabama alumnus? 

(1) Disclaimer: I smoke weed every day, I most definitely do not judge. However, if I knew I would lose millions by being in the car with some weed because it is illegal there, I do not care WHAT AGE YOU ARE, I would not do that. It seems silly to jeopardize millions that way. This is ONE example of his questionable decision making that Reuben uses. Being sent home for the combine, for real? How can you NOT JUDGE the ONLY person to ever be sent home for arguing with staff? You ignore every point the posters make about him and then hone in on facts that are silly like Alabama's educational ranking or criticism of people's sources?

(2) Do you see your own hypocrisy in saying things like, "he needs to get off the weed" or "the problem is the weed" and then saying things nonchalantly or passively like "a young guy smokes pot..." as if him smoking was the issue... The issue is him being immature enough to smoke pot or be in a car that has something illegal right before the draft, that is the red flag... do you really not see this?

(3) Let's add in the fact(s) that he had an unsecured weapon (within around a month of being viewed illegal) in the state of CA (the Bay too!) and could not think ahead enough that it may look bad or be viewed as in issue in such an area (super liberal and against guns CA... News you can get ANYWHERE), maybe, "I should secure it or put it away or make sure it is ready for the new gun laws before I left it out"... for law enforcement to see during a DV call, involving him. A DV call that REQUIRES someone to be arrested.

Again the issue is not the "bad decision on a girlfriend", it is the fact that he is kicking it with someone of her caliber to begin with. Did he have long term ties or some kind of loyalty to a person who presumably had not known for very long with such an extensive record or lying under oath to extort people? I don't know but it seems like another red flag to me that he would be caught in that situation, much yet when the gun is out in the open and loaded with a magazine that is sure to draw controversy to begin with. 

(4) Who cares about his academic prowess or that of any other athlete being suspended anyway. You keep pointing out all of these statistics about Alabama education like it matters to anyone or that anyone is clicking the link. What good is Reuben Foster's degree when he cannot figure out how NOT to be around contraband or poor  situations well enough to avoid a suspension. Furthermore, after 3/4 incidents (granted all for different issues) it makes you wonder if A. He happens to be the most unlucky person alive, or B. He very well may be putting himself into poor situations regularly. 

(5) Finally, I ask you, who would you rather draft. If you could choose between a talented and young player w/All-pro capability but you were only guaranteed 12 games or less or someone who will start for 16? It is easy, I will decide for you, like the other 30 teams in the league did last year. Nobody wanted to gamble on him because of "him". That is all. There is no debate, no argument to be had, no mention of "elitists" who "seem to have it out for the south"? What the **** are you talking about?

This post was about Reuben Foster, the LB for the 49ers and his suspensions being a result of his poor decision making and immaturity which all reflect poorly on his character. I am sorry that Alabama LB alumni with questionable character decisions (McClain) are compared but it is what it is.Yes although it is everywhere and from those who come from any university (arrests) and every team has suspensions, using Foster and his increasing number of incidents is a poor example of as to why a person should take him? Are you real? Or are you some kind of bot programmed to defend Alabama players and false narratives of people on the TBD message "attacking the south"? 

Edited by FrankoElTanko
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

You used a link from 1986 to make your point about Stanford?!?!??!

I’m done.  University of Alabama is the Harvard of Alabama.  Be proud of that.  And keep thinking Nick Saban is really looking out for these athletes best interests and not pushing them into cupcake classes to keep them eligible.  I’m sure if Foster (haha) wanted to go pre-med, Saban would have be all for it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1