Reuben Foster; Suspension

53 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

His mistake was the SIG wasn’t CA compliant.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/131325/r516g216bpca/sig-sauer-sig516-patrol-5.56mm-rifle-(california-model)

The potheads here will disagree with you on the drug charge.

It's most definitely not him smoking pot, especially given where he is located (it is asinine to hold him to a higher moral standard because his job says it is illegal). However, if I was telling a person that their livelihood (and such a high paycheck) depended on passing a drug test and/or not being charged legally for (insert crime, regardless of moral high ground) I would COUNT on him to follow whatever rules are in place. 

like, if you live in CA, maybe do not purchase an assault rifle that does not meet the standards of the state. Regardless of the how strict that law has it, he became a millionaire and if the gun was recreational (which is fine too, if it were legal) he would be better served just spending his money A.conforming the weapon to code or B. going to a range nearby (I am sure he coud find the funds with his rookie deal for such a hobby)...

My beef with him is all about dependability and reliability and after the incident at the combine, the diluted drug test (again not judging, just judging the poor timing of the bad test and/or the inability to provide a clean (fake or not, who cares) sample), the domestic violence issue that was later retracted and the subsequent illegal weapon that was found thereafter... All red flags for the player that, I TOOK in Rd 1 after everyone else passed and made the defensive Captain and leader of my team... 

Mind you this is only yr one...

Sorry but hard pass, you cant count on him for **** and his gravity toward **** alike will deter his career. Either he or his camp has to know better/protect him from such stupid situations and that is exactly why I am grateful we did not add him. By the way, he is an absolute monster that I love to watch play.

Edited by FrankoElTanko
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

It was big news so I thought that everyone was aware of the outcome of the court case. Sorry. The alleged victim said she lied and the judge dismissed the charges. Time to move on and stop persecuting the guy.

Sure, I’ll be honest, there are some types of news I just try to avoid. This would be on that list. I know people try to set up famous people, especially athletes, for revenge and/or money. I also know some get paid off to say they lied and go away. Those who falsely accuse need to be punished for THAT crime, but the bottom line is I never know what to believe so I pay little attention. 

BTW - how have his shoulders held up so far? (Honest question!) I’m not hating on him, but I’d still pass, despite immense talent. I don’t need another Dareus type distraction. 

12 minutes ago, FrankoElTanko said:

It's most definitely not him smoking pot, especially given where he is located (it is asinine to hold him to a higher moral standard because his job says it is illegal). However, if I was telling a person that their livelihood (and such a high paycheck) depended on passing a drug test and/or not being charged legally for (insert crime, regardless of moral high ground) I would COUNT on him to follow whatever rules are in place. 

like, if you live in CA, maybe do not purchase an assault rifle that does not meet the standards of the state. Regardless of the how strict that law has it, he became a millionaire and if the gun was recreational (which is fine too, if it were legal) he would be better served just spending his money A.conforming the weapon to code or B. going to a range nearby (I am sure he coud find the funds with his rookie deal for such a hobby)...

My beef with him is all about dependability and reliability and after the incident at the combine, the diluted drug test (again not judging, just judging the poor timing of the bad test and/or the inability to provide a clean (fake or not, who cares) sample), the domestic violence issue that was later retracted and the subsequent illegal weapon that was found thereafter... All red flags for the player that, I TOOK in Rd 1 after everyone else passed and made the defensive Captain and leader of my team... 

Mind you this only yr one...

Sorry but hard pass, you cant count on him for **** and his gravity toward **** alike will deter his career. Either he or his camp has to know better/protect him from such stupid situations and that is exactly why I am grateful we did not add him. By the way, he is an absolute monster that I love to watch play.

Maybe he brought the gun with him to CA and didn’t realize the state had a limit on the magazine. Ever walk around Venice Beach? You can get high from the second hand smoke. First offense in the NFL is counseling as far as I know, so I guess the suspension is for the rifle?

I don’t know the guy personally so I don’t know if he has a bad character or not. I’m not going to assume he does based on a pot charge in AL, the size of a rifle magazine, and a crazy ex-girlfriend.

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

Sure, I’ll be honest, there are some types of news I just try to avoid. This would be on that list. I know people try to set up famous people, especially athletes, for revenge and/or money. I also know some get paid off to say they lied and go away. Those who falsely accuse need to be punished for THAT crime, but the bottom line is I never know what to believe so I pay little attention. 

BTW - how have his shoulders held up so far? (Honest question!) I’m not hating on him, but I’d still pass, despite immense talent. I don’t need another Dareus type distraction. 

I’m not aware that he has any health issues, but I haven’t followed his career post Alabama. There were never any issues there with his behavior as far as I know.

Edited by Sky Diver

3 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Maybe he brought the gun with him to CA and didn’t realize the state had a limit on the magazine. Ever walk around Venice Beach? You can get high from the second hand smoke.

I don’t know the guy personally so I don’t know if he has a bad character or not. I’m not going to assume he does based on a pot charge in AL, the size of a rifle magazine, and a crazy ex-girlfriend.

I’ll be honest, he raised some serious red flags for me with his combine behavior, and when you just keep smelling smoke.... I have to at least give it serious consideration. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I’ll be honest, he raised some serious red flags for me with his combine behavior, and when you just keep smelling smoke.... I have to at least give it serious consideration. 

He needs to get off the weed.

8 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Maybe he brought the gun with him to CA and didn’t realize the state had a limit on the magazine. Ever walk around Venice Beach? You can get high from the second hand smoke. First offense in the NFL is counseling as far as I know, so I guess the suspension is for the rifle?

I’m not aware that he has any health issues, but I haven’t followed his career post Alabama. There were never any issues there with his behavior as far as I know.

He tore his rotator cuff at Bama in the playoff game 

20 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Maybe he brought the gun with him to CA and didn’t realize the state had a limit on the magazine. Ever walk around Venice Beach? You can get high from the second hand smoke.

Not at all, but I will assume that someone who owns such a weapon and is naive enough to move from Alabama to the Bay without knowing in advance what the law/rules are would take more caution... Esp, since the gun charge was in CA with notoriously strict gun laws (which he still broke, the gun charge was just kicked out due to an  injunction, still illegal), would be quick-witted enough or have had someone in his camp who protected him enough...

Him smoking weed in SF is not the problem... Him having a weapon (and magazine) that the state says is illegal and him not being cognizant enough or not caring enough to (conform it or to just hide it better)are the problem. The combine left a bad taste (arguing with an employee? For real dude? At the Combine) for me. I'm not sure I ever remember an athlete getting asked to go home because he had an attitude with medical staff, ever. Followed by the incident(s) for whatever reason(s). Its not the mistakes, its that he cannot figure how to not make mistakes (in general). There is no way he is just this bad at getting caught.

Let me rephrase. Although his character may be excellent and Reuben Foster may be held in high regard by all of his peers, coaches and constituents. As a GM or owner, I would require a TON on protection and or fallback plans for me to have ever drafted him in the first round AND/OR ever depend on him to be the leader of my defense. Although his character may be excellent, his poor judgment and questionable decision making seem to shed a poor light on that character and without the opportunity to get to know him myself, I fear that the image he portrays of himself in regard to that character will likely have a negative impact on his career and cost him games because of it. As a result, I would never invest money or accountability into him (yet/without proof (i.e., not getting in trouble and/or having 2-3 incidents in one calendar yr(your first yr in particular)) because his decision making reflects poorly on his character. 

Unfortunately, for whatever reason(s), he SEEMS to have the type personality and/or character that gravitates him toward legal issues that he otherwise could have avoided... Not my cup of tea

Edited by FrankoElTanko

9 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

He’s fully recovered as far as I know.

The concern Augie was getting at was that he’d not hold up long term. Having shoulder injuries as a linebacker can be one of those that shortens careers. I don’t think the concern was recovery so much as durability long term. (But I’m no expert)

3 minutes ago, FrankoElTanko said:

Not at all, but I will assume that someone who owns such a weapon and is naive enough to move from Alabama to the Bay without knowing in advance what the law/rules are would take more caution... Esp, since the gun charge was in CA with notoriously strict gun laws (which he still broke, the gun charge was just kicked out due to an  injunction, still illegal), would be quick-witted enough or have had someone in his camp who protected him enough...

Let me rephrase. Although his character may be excellent and Reuben Foster may be held in high regard by all of his peers, coaches and constituents. As a GM or owner, I would require a TON on protection and or fallback plans for me to have ever drafted him in the first round AND/OR ever depend on him to be the leader of my defense. Although his character may be excellent, his poor judgment and questionable decision making seem to shed a poor light on that character and without the opportunity to get to know him myself, I fear that the image he portrays of himself in regard to that character will likely have a negative impact on his career and cost him games because of it. As a result, I would never invest money or accountability into him (yet/without proof (i.e., not getting in trouble and/or having 2-3 incidents in one calendar yr(your first yr in particular)) because his decision making reflects poorly on his character. 

Unfortunately, for whatever reason(s), he SEEMS to have the type personality and/or character that gravitates him toward legal issues that he otherwise could have avoided... Not my cup of tea

I think the risk is worth a late first even with the headaches. He seemed pretty slam dunk on the field- which goes a long way to helping the risk factor. 4 years of dirt cheap excellent play for pick 31 is not bad, even if he misses a couple games. The real issue is his second contract.

otherwise, I think we view his character/judgement similarly and would count sticking around this woman as another dumb risk even if assuming the best.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FrankoElTanko said:

Him smoking weed in SF is not the problem... Him having a weapon (and magazine) that the state says is illegal and him not being cognizant enough or not caring enough to (conform it or to just hide it better)are the problem. The combine left a bad taste (arguing with an employee? For real dude? At the Combine) for me. I'm not sure I ever remember an athlete getting asked to go home because he had an attitude with medical staff, ever. Followed by the incident(s) for whatever reason(s). Its not the mistakes, its that he cannot figure how to not make mistakes (in general). There is no way he is just this bad at getting caught.

Except it looks there wasn’t a gun violation in this case.

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2018/04/12/1469660/0/en/Santa-Clara-DA-s-Office-Issues-Misleading-Statements-in-News-Release-About-California-Gun-Laws-Assault-Weapons.html

Edited by Sky Diver

54 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Meh, the new registration date was for June 30 of this year and he was arrested in April so they should not have charged him for it... and although it seems as though they prematurely charged him for the non-registered weapon with the high capacity magazine, he pled down and it does not say why (I am only curious)? Also, due to the injunction that saved him, it was by less than 60days which IMO still cuts it too close for more, for dealing with that type of unnecessary crap.

Furthermore, it does not say but I would love to know if the gun was found in a safe or out when the police searched his home... In a gun safe they would have required a warrant, which they would have not likely been able to obtain without a cause they did not have. I personally believe that had the gun been in said safe, it would have never likely been found. Thus avoiding the entire false charge. He is a pro athlete buy a gun safe and lock it up, then when this lady lies and you have her recant, there is literally nothing to charge you for because the gun was locked up.

It may seem stupid but how people treat gun safety is something I would use to view their responsibility for owning a gun, in particular one of that nature. It is terrifying that I would be paying a person who would knowingly (again I am totally assuming the weapon was found unsecured due to the articles I have read and no reference of a safe or anything else) have the decision making skills to have something like an AR-15 (knowingly in CA who is obviously not a gun friendly state) not locked up says enough to me about whether I should be taking the gamble on employing him as my MLB or at any other position.  

In Reuben's case this only illustrates exactly why I would not touch him.... 

Again the point is not a moral contradiction with him smoking weed or having an AR-15. Or whether, I think he is wrong or not. My point is he brings A LOT of **** with him... His fault or not, I dunno? However, it seems as though regardless of the off-field issue, he is rounding the bases for dealing with them (i.e., drug charge, weapons charge, DV charge, etc.) and although I am doing my best to not judge. If it quacks like a duck, then it may be a duck... In this case, please don't let me offend your Alabama love affair with ANY alum (who cannot possibly be an uninsurable or shady person because that would be crazy) by stating that duck in this particular metaphor is the equivalent to problem or headache.

So, to be clear, Reuben Foster attracts a lot ****. It seems as though, he is the cause of or directly involved or apart of all of it. In fact, those various types of **** are now beginning to add up and it is costing him games, guilty or not... These seem to be for things that should not necessarily be crimes (weed in 2018 c'mon and legally purchased weapons, I know). However, his decisions to have these things around him and/or put himself in these situations is concerning and I would not want him on the Bills.

Gun charge or not, the fact that he was involved with the entire situation (extorting him and all) and had the gun there IN ADDITION his already multiple other incidents he has had (again, see NFL combine, arrest in AL (no judgment other than knowing you are a new player coming off of an incident with weed and weed is illegal in your home state, be more careful... esp. given the combine) and affinity for law enforcement, in year one already... I am happy we did not go near him. I appreciate the article, it was a great find but due to the combination of everything to do with the circumstances I'm not in. 

• Like (+1) 2

The gun charge was bogus. His “crimes” were smoking dope and getting involved with a crazy woman. If that’s proof that he has a bad character, then there are a lot of men with bad characters.

He needs to lay off the dope and choose better girlfriends.

2 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

The gun charge was bogus. His “crimes” were smoking dope and getting involved with a crazy woman. If that’s proof that he has a bad character, then there are a lot of men with bad characters.

He needs to lay off the dope and choose better girlfriends.

I genuinely don’t recall the details on the gun: why was it bogus?

4 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

But that their statement oversold the nature of the law doesn’t mean that the actual charge was bogus. Wasn’t the last debate whether it should be misdemeanor or felony based on the gun being loaded and laying on the floor? Was the charge actually dropped?

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

But that their statement oversold the nature of the law doesn’t mean that the actual charge was bogus. Wasn’t the last debate whether it should be misdemeanor or felony based on the gun being loaded and laying on the floor? Was the charge actually dropped?

The charge was reduced to a misdemeanor. The gun was purchased legally in Alabama.

Edited by Sky Diver

14 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I think the risk is worth a late first even with the headaches. He seemed pretty slam dunk on the field- which goes a long way to helping the risk factor. 4 years of dirt cheap [b[excellent play for pick 31 is not bad, even if he misses a couple games. The real issue is his second contract.[/b]

otherwise, I think we view his character/judgement similarly and would count sticking around this woman as another dumb risk even if assuming the best.

I'm not going to enter into the fray on judging him a good guy or a bad guy. However, if the discussion revolves around whether he is a mature or immature individual that is another category that directly relates to his profession. Some players are always going to have issues swirling around themselves outside of football. Yet those activities outside of the game  directly relate to football. Without engaging in the legality of his conduct his poor judgment off the field has resulted in his suspension and closer scrutiny by the league office that can imperil his career. 

It seems to me that both Foster and Dareus are the type of people who can't be trusted, especially off the field. I'm not saying they are bad people. I don't know much about Foster but I do know that Dareus isn't a bad guy. But what I am saying  is that they are far from being mature adults who can responsibly handle the challenges and  temptations outside of the game associated with being a pro athlete. 

The issues that made Foster drop down to the 31st pick are the same issues that resulted in him being suspended and having legal troubles. He is the type of person that McDermott doesn't want on his roster and want to deal with. In the short run you are missing out on some talent but in the long run you are building a smarter and more mature roster that will prove to be more successful.  

• Thank you (+1) 1