Beane's Counterbalance to Missing on Josh Allen: Great Trades, Drafting, and Free Agent Pickups.

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Trust me, and it’s pretty much this simple, if they hit on Allen, I will build a statue for them because they are geniuses.  But man, there is a lot of evidence that it is an extremely risky pick,

they're going to have to hit more than on Allen to be successful.  I for one will not be happy if Allen has a Phillip Rivers style carreer. Heavy on yards but short on PLAYOFFS.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, #34fan said:

Thing is... I believe Beane missed on a whole lot more than Allen...  I think there's a chance he missed on as many as three players in the '18 draft.

If that's the case, then he should be fired... A GM simply needs to have better instincts than that.

Who do you think he missed on?

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

they're going to have to hit more than on Allen to be successful.  I for one will not be happy if Allen has a Phillip Rivers style carreer. Heavy on yards but short on PLAYOFFS.

So, it’s all on the QB then. If he’s the next Phillip Rivers you will not be happy with the pick? I suggest you just give up now. Why wait? 

2 hours ago, Augie said:

So, it’s all on the QB then. If he’s the next Phillip Rivers you will not be happy with the pick? I suggest you just give up now. Why wait? 

Sorry if I didn't make my point well. You need a whole team.  Rivers is a decent QB or so I hear, but exactly have they won?  My point was that he needs to hit on a lot of good players, not just QB.

i don't give up.

6 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Sorry if I didn't make my point well. You need a whole team.  Rivers is a decent QB or so I hear, but exactly have they won?  My point was that he needs to hit on a lot of good players, not just QB.

i don't give up.

Fair enough. I honestly think they are doing pretty well outside of the QB position, and just pray they hit on their QB.  The QB is the hardest part! 

I’m not smart enough to give up either. In fact, I infected my kids. ?

Edited by Augie

Beane isn't the only one responsible when it comes to Josh Allen so he shouldn't ever take the blame entirety. Someday McDermott and Beane will have to take the podium and take questions about Josh Allen.

Hopefully it's after they can have success with Daboll this season with one of the other throwaway QBs. Then you can insert Josh when you have more stability.

Edited by Lfod

On 7/4/2018 at 11:51 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Always smart to take lesser talent.  Josh Allen wasn’t good enough for All MWC but he seems like a swell guy.

and do PED suspensions not count for character? ? 

That's why I made a point to say players who are consistently a detriment to the their team.

The guys in the front office are so likable and I think McDermott is well respected by the locker room; both are firm but both also seem down to earth.

That's why Zay Jones has the opportunity to redeem himself after his crazy hotel incident and John Miller the chance to win back his spot despite being a 'Whaley guy'.

Don't know if I'm missing anyone but pretty sure you're talking Owa Odighizuwa, Jeremy Kerley and Trent Murphy and the PED suspensions.

From what I saw none of them are repeat offenders...so here's to their second chance.

As far as Allen not lighting up the MWC...

Levi Brown was named Offensive Player of the Year and Player of the Year for the Sun Belt Conference, threw for 4,000 and went 8-0 in his conference.

He didn't work out swell.

Numbers don't always translate to success at the next level...but your talent level usually does.

10 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Levi Brown was named Offensive Player of the Year and Player of the Year for the Sun Belt Conference, threw for 4,000 and went 8-0 in his conference. 

I though Bad Bad Levi Brown showed promise. I was disapointed to see him go.  Too bad we couldn't have given him as  many chances as Nasty Nate.

22 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I though Bad Bad Levi Brown showed promise. I was disapointed to see him go.  Too bad we couldn't have given him as  many chances as Nasty Nate.

...then again, OBD is known league wide as the "Mecca of QB Assessment & Development".....some of these OBD azzclowns hit the Pacific aiming for the Atlantic.......Waste Management wouldn't even pick up 98% of the "alleged QB's" passing through OBD turnstiles post Kelly......Grandma said something about "garbage in garbage out sonny".....she knew.....

On 7/4/2018 at 11:41 AM, #34fan said:

Thing is... I believe Beane missed on a whole lot more than Allen...  I think there's a chance he missed on as many as three players in the '18 draft.

If that's the case, then he should be fired... A GM simply needs to have better instincts than that.

I wonder what the going ration of "hits" are for any GM

I personally think this draft is great and might include some late round gems

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I was hopeful that Levi Brown would amount to something in the NFL given his numbers at Troy, in fact, my confession in the 'Confession time' thread would probably center around him.

But I read somewhere that he was never even given the opportunity in preseason with Chan Gailey as coach, but instead got swamped behind Trent Edwards, Fitzpatrick, and maybe Brian Brohm (?) on the depth chart.

So where would he have ever gotten the chance to show promise?

Nathan Peterman being granted  numerous opportunities is something of a myth. You say it like he was given the starting job without justification four seasons straight.

He earned the 2nd string QB role as a rookie and the coaches turned to him when they had to, only turning to him one time with the intent to supplant Taylor as the starter.

I will absolutely blame Bean if he fails or is worse than Rosen/Rudolph, and McDermott gets the blame if he isn't better than Watson/Mahomes, which I think is a near certainty based on Watson alone. They gave up a tremendous amount of capital to get this kid going back to last year, and he'll have to be better at the highest level of football than he was at any point in his life.

I think it's far more likely this sets our rebuild back 3-5 years. If Beane doesn't immediately course correct when he flops, it should cost him his job.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I will absolutely blame Bean if he fails or is worse than Rosen/Rudolph, and McDermott gets the blame if he isn't better than Watson/Mahomes, which I think is a near certainty based on Watson alone. They gave up a tremendous amount of capital to get this kid going back to last year, and he'll have to be better at the highest level of football than he was at any point in his life.

I think it's far more likely this sets our rebuild back 3-5 years. If Beane doesn't immediately course correct when he flops, it should cost him his job.

OMFG