Beane's Counterbalance to Missing on Josh Allen: Great Trades, Drafting, and Free Agent Pickups.

1 hour ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I'll put it this way...if by the end of the 2020 season we don't have an identified franchise QB...Beane should be out. To me, the only way he should survive if Josh Allen is a bust is if he brought in other QB's along the way and one of them emerges as the guy. If he puts everything on the line on Allen and he's a bust and we have no solution after 2 more seasons, that's his own fault. 

I hope Allen is a proven starter by then but even if he is not I still want Beane and McDermott to remain with the franchise.   All those years Cowher couldn't get over the hump of not having a franchise QB in the 90s and even til 2004.   11 years of making the playoffs and even making the super bowl but not having that QB to get you a ring.   The Steelers stuck by him and eventually got a ring with Cowher, then another ring for Tomlin which I really don't think he earned but whatever.   

My point is you build your franchise up into a perennial playoff contender by sticking to one direction, and I like the direction Beane and McDermott have the team moving.  If Allen busts, draft another, we still got a top 10 talent in Edmunds and a run stuffing DT in Phillips.   And we have all our 2019 picks so really we aren't all in on Allen in any kind of way as draft capital is concerned.    If we had mortgaged 2019 1st or 2nd round picks I'd be agreeing with you but Beane did it smart.  

What I get a kick out of is the majority of this board wanted the Bills to give away most of their draft picks this year and perhaps a #1 pick next year to the NY Giants to trade up to the #2 spot for Josh Rosen. Then when the Buffalo FO had the option to draft Rosen at the #7 pick they felt gut-punched because the Bills didn't draft the slicker looking college QB. None of this years QB's look to be first week starters this season

My take is if someone hadn't released those high school Josh Allen's tweets to the public he probably would have been drafted as the #1 overall player in the draft.

IMHO This FO killed this year's draft in getting their future franchise QB with the #7 pick. Getting a future superstar all-pro linebacker with the first round16th pick. Then found a stud DT with an early second-round grade in the third round. 

On another note, if you look back to the 2004 draft Donahoe wanted Big Ben and settled for Losman. Matt Schaub would have been the better choice that year. But then the Buffalo Bills have been so darn drafting stupid between the late GM John Butler and the current FO. For almost two decades this franchise had no clue about player talent or even positional needs.

Bills fans should just be thankful that these new owners hired some men who actually know how to run an NFL team. It's going to take some time to straighten out the mess Whaley, Nix, and the others left them with. Two firsts for a WR when the team didn't even have an established franchise QB was beyond moronic. Drafting a waterbug RB when you desperately need an LT/pass rusher was also foolish. Particularly so when you realize just how limited that player was and Marshawn Lynch was on the roster. The stupids running the team finally are gone.

Edited by Nihilarian

19 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I hope Allen is a proven starter by then but even if he is not I still want Beane and McDermott to remain with the franchise.   All those years Cowher couldn't get over the hump of not having a franchise QB in the 90s and even til 2004.   11 years of making the playoffs and even making the super bowl but not having that QB to get you a ring.   The Steelers stuck by him and eventually got a ring with Cowher, then another ring for Tomlin which I really don't think he earned but whatever.   

My point is you build your franchise up into a perennial playoff contender by sticking to one direction, and I like the direction Beane and McDermott have the team moving.  If Allen busts, draft another, we still got a top 10 talent in Edmunds and a run stuffing DT in Phillips.   And we have all our 2019 picks so really we aren't all in on Allen in any kind of way as draft capital is concerned.    If we had mortgaged 2019 1st or 2nd round picks I'd be agreeing with you but Beane did it smart.  

I like that we didn't give up any 2019 picks...however, I feel like you and a lot of people are using that to marginalize what we did give up to draft Allen. We still gave up a lot of assets to get to that pick to get him. And I'm totally fine with that, you have to have a franchise QB to be a long-term contender. If he turns out to be a big-time QB, nobody will ever care about we gave up, and rightfully so. 

But at the same time, I can't agree that if you're giving up that much for a guy, you can simply just shrug it off if he's a bust. I think 3-4 years is totally fair in terms of giving a regime a shot at finding a successful franchise QB. And again, I'm not even saying it has to be Allen within that time-frame. By then, they will have had the time to draft and bring in other QB's along the way to give themselves more than just 1 shot at this. That's the smart way to do it. 

As far as Cowher...I just can't look at it that way. If you asked me right now if I would sign up for 1 SB ring over the next 14 years, I would say no. No matter how bad a team is - and I would know - I'm a Bills, Mets, Knicks, Sabres fan..the goal for every new regime should always be to build a dynasty and long term contender. I would not sign up for finding our franchise QB in year 12 of their regime. 

2 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I like that we didn't give up any 2019 picks...however, I feel like you and a lot of people are using that to marginalize what we did give up to draft Allen. We still gave up a lot of assets to get to that pick to get him. And I'm totally fine with that, you have to have a franchise QB to be a long-term contender. If he turns out to be a big-time QB, nobody will ever care about we gave up, and rightfully so. 

But at the same time, I can't agree that if you're giving up that much for a guy, you can simply just shrug it off if he's a bust. I think 3-4 years is totally fair in terms of giving a regime a shot at finding a successful franchise QB. And again, I'm not even saying it has to be Allen within that time-frame. By then, they will have had the time to draft and bring in other QB's along the way to give themselves more than just 1 shot at this. That's the smart way to do it. 

As far as Cowher...I just can't look at it that way. If you asked me right now if I would sign up for 1 SB ring over the next 14 years, I would say no. No matter how bad a team is - and I would know - I'm a Bills, Mets, Knicks, Sabres fan..the goal for every new regime should always be to build a dynasty and long term contender. I would not sign up for finding our franchise QB in year 12 of their regime. 

I'll be honest I don't really know if he had any say in who they drafted at QB, they struggled with Kordell Stewart and then Tommy Maddox.   But were those Cowher guys IDK.   I honestly couldn't tell you who the GM was during that time or if one was fired and hired.   

I know they were in the playoffs just about every single year and they went to that super bowl with Neil O'Donnel so they were far from struggling they just didn't have that QB to compete with Aikman/Steve Young.   But that defense was fearsome and they could run the ball.   

Just using that as an example because that franchise is still chugging along in the playoff hunt year after year and I would kill for that kind of sustained success over say a 25 year period, look at their record since 1993.   I'd sign up for that.   

I know we did give up substantial resources for Allen, we moved on from Glenn, but not until after Dawkins proved he could be an NFL LT.   We traded Darby and Watkins and part of tha capitol was used in part to get Allen and Edmunds.  I just like the overall direction the franchise is going, getting rid of high priced players like Dareus and then guys who were going to demand a high salary like Watkins.   Does it leave holes in the roster?  Absolutely but their heads are in the right place, i.e. you don't go looking for Julio Jones until you have Matt Ryan already on the roster.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

If Allen fails and the Bills win the Super Bowl during the next five years, this was  a great draft

If Allen succeeds and the Bills dont get past the first round of the playoffs for the next five years, then this was probably not a great draft. 

I like to play the what if game, and like to evaluate whether or not the decisions made make sense to me or not.  But succeeding in the NFL requires it be a strictly based on real performance.  Bad luck, First round draft picks that don't pan out, no matter how reasonable the decision seemed at the time,  injuries, coaching changes. blah blah blah.  If the GMs team win, his decisions were good. If the team loses, his decisions were not good.  Which is a long way of saying, it does not matter whether or not I though Allen was worth the risk.  For what its worth. I do think it was worth the risk.  If the bills are perennial losers 2 years from now, I feel perfectly in my rights as a fan to say the guy making millions to judge these risks for real, needs to go though. 

4 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I'll be honest I don't really know if he had any say in who they drafted at QB, they struggled with Kordell Stewart and then Tommy Maddox.   But were those Cowher guys IDK.   I honestly couldn't tell you who the GM was during that time or if one was fired and hired.   

I know they were in the playoffs just about every single year and they went to that super bowl with Neil O'Donnel so they were far from struggling they just didn't have that QB to compete with Aikman/Steve Young.   But that defense was fearsome and they could run the ball.   

Just using that as an example because that franchise is still chugging along in the playoff hunt year after year and I would kill for that kind of sustained success over say a 25 year period, look at their record since 1993.   I'd sign up for that.   

I know we did give up substantial resources for Allen, we moved on from Glenn, but not until after Dawkins proved he could be an NFL LT.   We traded Darby and Watkins and part of tha capitol was used in part to get Allen and Edmunds.  I just like the overall direction the franchise is going, getting rid of high priced players like Dareus and then guys who were going to demand a high salary like Watkins.   Does it leave holes in the roster?  Absolutely but their heads are in the right place, i.e. you don't go looking for Julio Jones until you have Matt Ryan already on the roster.  

I think I just need to see more before believing that their heads are in the right place. Yes, this roster has holes in it right now, but I'm not judging them for that. It's a rebuild, that takes some time. I also probably wasn't overly effusive in praise about making the playoffs last year. It was nice, but in all honesty I thought it was a little flukey and I knew the roster was going to be substantially different in a couple of years after that, as it needed to be.

I will say what I did like was that they continued the rebuilding process after we made the playoffs, and didn't very stupidly decide to go into some kind of win-now mode. There was still a lot of roster re-shaping to do and they did understand that. 

It sounds like we agree on things up to that. For me, we have to have that GM/coach tandem that can find/develop a franchise QB. I believe giving them 3-4 total years is really fair, and I'm not even pigeon-holing them into that guy having to be Allen. I think if they go "all in" on him and don't bring in any other legitimate QB prospects along the way and we have nobody if the day comes where they decide Allen's not the guy, I don't really think that's anything different than the failed regimes of the past. 

17 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

If Allen fails and the Bills win the Super Bowl during the next five years, this was  a great draft

If Allen succeeds and the Bills dont get past the first round of the playoffs for the next five years, then this was probably not a great draft. 

I like to play the what if game, and like to evaluate whether or not the decisions made make sense to me or not.  But succeeding in the NFL requires it be a strictly based on real performance.  Bad luck, First round draft picks that don't pan out, no matter how reasonable the decision seemed at the time,  injuries, coaching changes. blah blah blah.  If the GMs team win, his decisions were good. If the team loses, his decisions were not good.  Which is a long way of saying, it does not matter whether or not I though Allen was worth the risk.  For what its worth. I do think it was worth the risk.  If the bills are perennial losers 2 years from now, I feel perfectly in my rights as a fan to say the guy making millions to judge these risks for real, needs to go though. 

I hear ya. If they loved Josh Allen, I have no problem whatsoever trading all that to move up to get him. But they have to be right. And if they're not right, they'll have to most likely find the right guy in the next year or so with a much lower pick. If they loved a QB next year and weren't sure about Allen anymore, I wouldn't complain at all if they went 1st round on one again. It would be bad optics and a hard sell to pretty much everyone including ownership, the fanbase, and media...but I would rather that than have no answer at QB in 2-3 years and Allen being the only guy that we really took a swing on. The QB position is just that important. 

18 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I think I just need to see more before believing that their heads are in the right place. Yes, this roster has holes in it right now, but I'm not judging them for that. It's a rebuild, that takes some time. I also probably wasn't overly effusive in praise about making the playoffs last year. It was nice, but in all honesty I thought it was a little flukey and I knew the roster was going to be substantially different in a couple of years after that, as it needed to be.

I will say what I did like was that they continued the rebuilding process after we made the playoffs, and didn't very stupidly decide to go into some kind of win-now mode. There was still a lot of roster re-shaping to do and they did understand that. 

It sounds like we agree on things up to that. For me, we have to have that GM/coach tandem that can find/develop a franchise QB. I believe giving them 3-4 total years is really fair, and I'm not even pigeon-holing them into that guy having to be Allen. I think if they go "all in" on him and don't bring in any other legitimate QB prospects along the way and we have nobody if the day comes where they decide Allen's not the guy, I don't really think that's anything different than the failed regimes of the past. 

Well if we end up going 3-13 I may feel different after this year lol.   All they offseason hype around Peterman possibly winning the starting job is a little disconcerting too.   That's all it is hype.   As far as the QB position is concerned the guy they drafted threw 5 picks in his first start, they got the one QB in free agency no one else wanted, and we moved up for Allen.   Of all the QB situations in the NFL this has to be the most sketchy.    

Consider also Bills may not have all the Coaches they want yet. Some might feel ( me ) that Dennison was a stopgap. They made a number of changes on both Def and Off as well.
This past draft is NOT the defining moment of the Team long term.

I hope Pegulas are more patient.

Unless the Team goes off the track ala Ryan Bros , it will be hard for me to set a date for Beane to realize success. certainly not 2019 and probably not 2020.
I might bet they agreed on a five year goal with some metric inserted.

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...and how many more days of purgatory before camp??....good Lord.............

oh  heck ! Training Camp just ramps up the heat down here !!

First time Allen hits the media tent on a deep out the boards will become unglued

On 7/16/2018 at 10:02 AM, SoTier said:

That's an amazingly ignorant statement.   Current year draft picks aren't chopped liver, and giving up top notch young veterans who have already been signed to multi-year contracts aren't, either.   The Bills gave up a cartload of picks to move into position to take a QB, and it's likely that at least 2 or 3 of those picks will turn out to be good or maybe even great pro players which the Bills won't have going forward for 3-5 years and maybe more.  How is that NOT "mortgaging the future"?

The only way that the Glenn trade won't set the Bills back several years is if Glenn is finished, Dawkins continues to progress, and Allen is a stud.  If Glenn is finished and Allen is a flop, it's a wash.   If Dawkins doesn't improve from his rookie performance -- and not infrequently good rookies don't develop into better players -- then the Bills have a gaping hole at LT and still have a below average RT (the position that Dawkins was drafted to fill) which will impact both their passing and running games going forward -- and Allen's prospects for success.

Well said.  Bills fans buy into the myth that Glenn was "washed up" because of injury because they want to believe that the Bills FO is doing a good job.  However, the reality is that  Glenn's injury issues only began about mid-2016, and that he basically had one injury that lingered, probably because Glenn/the Bills took a conservative approach to it rather than immediately opting for surgery.  In hindsight, that was a mistake but nobody knew that in 2016 or 2017.

It's a little early to declare the 2017 trade a "steal" for anybody.

• It will be all KC if Mahomes is a stud and Allen is not, even if Allen becomes a decent NFL starter on a level with Dalton or Flacco.
  • It will be a wash or slightly favoring KC if Mahomes and Allen are about the same.  Yes, the Bills got White, but Milano isn't anything special and Edmunds is unproven.  More importantly, the Bills gave up a whole lot more to get Allen than the Chiefs gave up to get Mahomes.
  • Only Mahomes being a bust while Allen becomes a decent NFL will give the Bills the advantage in this trade.
  • It will be a steal for the Bills only if Allen becomes a near elite NFL QB while Mahomes does not.

Who exactly are those two or three players from this year's draft that you are referring to when suggesting that they will likely turn out good or even great and the Bills won't have for 3-5 years moving forward?

Are you talking Vita Vea (12th), Billy Price (21st), Rashaan Evans (22nd), MJ Stewart (53rd), Duke Dawson (56th), Brandon Parker (65th)?

Or some other players?

I'm not understanding how the franchise would have set itself back if missing on Allen and I'm really not understanding your idea of the franchise's being set back or not, being directly tied to the success or failure of both Josh Allen and Cordy Glenn.

How does the notion of the franchise "mortgaging the future", cease to hold water if both Glenn and Allen fail to deliver when the same cartload of picks that could've been used on the players you mention, would have still been expended to move up and draft Allen?

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

oh  heck ! Training Camp just ramps up the heat down here !!

First time Allen hits the media tent on a deep out the boards will become unglued

...LMAO!.....I'm thinkin' there will be a TBD sponsored "Closest To The Pin"....oops....sorry....."Closest To The Tent" sign at camp.......any idea who may be their favorite??..........

5 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

I think many of the additions are for depth. 

I'm really unsure about how to feel about Russell Bodine because I've read so many poor reports about him, but McDermott and Daboll may feel he'd be a better fit in Buffalo given the type of offense they plan to install.

Regardless of what opinion you form on Bodine, you can't say he hasn't been very durable throughout his career and despite being so apparently bad at his job, he manned the center spot for a long time in Cincinnati.

I was skeptical about Ivory when looking at his yds per carry avg. last season in Jax, but what I like about the signing is that it shows that McDermott is on top of things. He pretty much acknowledges that  McCoy's east-west, sometimes very detrimental running style, simply won't cut it regardless of how dynamic he is by signing a downhill runner like Chris Ivory.

I feel better about Ivory because when looking at his overall production, he's been very solid; 4.4 career yards per carry avg.

Also stumbled upon this:

Who knew he cracked the 'NFL's Top 100 Players' list in 2016.

Bodine is durable, maybe that's because he spends so much time getting  pushed around. He's not depth, he's in the mix to start, which would be a downgrade on the OL. If Shady is out, we are in a world of  crap on offense, Hell, we may be already. I really feel McBeane made a major miscalculation on offense. 

On 7/16/2018 at 10:02 AM, SoTier said:

That's an amazingly ignorant statement.   Current year draft picks aren't chopped liver, and giving up top notch young veterans who have already been signed to multi-year contracts aren't, either.   The Bills gave up a cartload of picks to move into position to take a QB, and it's likely that at least 2 or 3 of those picks will turn out to be good or maybe even great pro players which the Bills won't have going forward for 3-5 years and maybe more.  How is that NOT "mortgaging the future"?

The only way that the Glenn trade won't set the Bills back several years is if Glenn is finished, Dawkins continues to progress, and Allen is a stud.  If Glenn is finished and Allen is a flop, it's a wash.   If Dawkins doesn't improve from his rookie performance -- and not infrequently good rookies don't develop into better players -- then the Bills have a gaping hole at LT and still have a below average RT (the position that Dawkins was drafted to fill) which will impact both their passing and running games going forward -- and Allen's prospects for success.

Well said.  Bills fans buy into the myth that Glenn was "washed up" because of injury because they want to believe that the Bills FO is doing a good job.  However, the reality is that  Glenn's injury issues only began about mid-2016, and that he basically had one injury that lingered, probably because Glenn/the Bills took a conservative approach to it rather than immediately opting for surgery.  In hindsight, that was a mistake but nobody knew that in 2016 or 2017.

It's a little early to declare the 2017 trade a "steal" for anybody.

• It will be all KC if Mahomes is a stud and Allen is not, even if Allen becomes a decent NFL starter on a level with Dalton or Flacco.
  • It will be a wash or slightly favoring KC if Mahomes and Allen are about the same.  Yes, the Bills got White, but Milano isn't anything special and Edmunds is unproven.  More importantly, the Bills gave up a whole lot more to get Allen than the Chiefs gave up to get Mahomes.
  • Only Mahomes being a bust while Allen becomes a decent NFL will give the Bills the advantage in this trade.
  • It will be a steal for the Bills only if Allen becomes a near elite NFL QB while Mahomes does not.

Lol. How do you reach these determinations?

Tre'Davious White is already the steal of that trade. He was nearly named defensive rookie of the year and was selected 17 draft spots after Mahomes was selected 10th overall.

If Mahomes bombs then Kansas City lose out in the trade.

If Mahomes lives up to expectations then it was a win for both clubs, but if Allen plays at a Pro Bowl level and White continues his high level of play then the Bills win the trade outright.

How does Milano even factor in to this?

Edited by BurpleBull

16 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

He was saying that he doesn't trust McDermott as an evaluator of offensive talent, but it was McDermott who was largely thought of as being responsible for the 2017 draft that netted Dion Dawkins, Zay Jones, and Nathan Peterman.

So there's small evidence that suggests he's an overall good evaluator of talent.

Ah, McDermott? Still way too early to say that he isn't good at evaluating guys on the offense. As you point out, Dawkins so far at least seems like a great pickup, Peterman has been good so far for a fifth-rounder and Zay Jones hasn't done enough as a 2nd rounder, but it's way too early to count out a 2nd year WR.

Just doesn't make any sense at all to say that he can't evaluate offensive talent. The worst you could say is that he has spent few resources on the offense and that he would get an incomplete because it's too early to count out anyone yet. And Dawkins looks like a great pick.

11 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Bodine is durable, maybe that's because he spends so much time getting  pushed around. He's not depth, he's in the mix to start, which would be a downgrade on the OL. If Shady is out, we are in a world of  crap on offense, Hell, we may be already. I really feel McBeane made a major miscalculation on offense. 

The offensive line is an area where I think this FO feel surprisingly short in the draft and in free agency. Particularly when they just drafted a rookie QB and have a second year QB too.

I realize you can't fill every roster hole in one draft or offseason so I'm also hoping that this FO doesn't make the very same mistake that killed past regimes in the thinking that you can get by with later round picks for the offensive line. Buddy Nix and his lame idea that any tackle can play guard and any big body can play tackle.

It took Rex Ryan to see that the team needed upgrades at the offensive guard position so not only did he take a chance on Incognito when no other team would. That choice worked out well and the line would have been so much better had Ryan been able to sign undrafted FA La'el Collins who he wined and dined before he signed with Dallas. We all saw what a difference a pro bowl guard in Incognito can make to a team as he instantly helped make Woods and Glenn look so much better. 

BTW, Collins before the 2015 draft was graded as a possible top ten prospect, that is until it was announced he was to be questioned by the police about the shooting death of a woman he had a relationship with in the past. 

I'm still holding out hope that one day the Buffalo Bills with build a top offensive line like they had for their super bowl runs. Like they had for their 60's AFL championship wins. Like they basically had for every year they made the playoffs. Then again, I would really want lines like those 60 championship years in that every player was a pro bowler and even some were 1st team all pros. 

Stew Barber, Billy Shaw, Dave Behrman, Al Bemiller, Dick Hudson.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

You just dont get it do you (I doubt if you ever will)

It was NOT a questionable pick.......a questionable pick is taking a QB in a draft where it was widely known was a poor QB draft.

This was WIDELY speculated to be a special QB draft.......and they traded assets (without giving up their other 1st round pick (edmunds) or FUTURE first round picks.....

That means that if the bills wanted to they could go QB in the very next draft (I really hope they do NOT do this....and instead get a weapon to pear with Allen)

It is not a EJ Manuel situation at all....

Well....THIS group has had exactly one pick which was Tre sooooooooo.

The quality of individual players in any draft is not determined by either the other players in that draft or by the hype spread by media talking heads. 

• In the 1983 draft, the greatest QB class ever by result not by ratings of talking heads, produced 3 HOFs plus a decent NFL starter.  The KC Chiefs still managed to pick an absolute bust in Todd Blackledge, the second QB taken.
  • In the second best QB class ever, 2004, produced first round QBs Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger ... and JP Losman.  Losman was not a first round prospect,  and being drafting in the first round with three other QBs who are likely HOF candidates didn't make him any better or worse than he was.

FYI, the last time I looked, finding good DBs is a lot easier than finding good QBs.  If Mahomes turns out to be a stud and Allen does not, the Bills will have screwed themselves once more ... just as they did in 2009 when they gave away All Pro LT Jason Peters or in 2010 when they gave away All Pro RB Marshawn Lynch.

18 hours ago, MJS said:

What did you have to say about the secondary last off-season? Probably nothing good. Everyone thought it was a huge problem. Now we consider it to be one of the best secondaries in the league.

In other words, shut up and watch the games. Nobody knows how it will turn out.

If you don't like my opinions, don't read them or put me on ignore but don't dare tell me -- or any other poster -- to "shut up". 

FTR, the Bills do not have "one of the best secondaries in the league" but feel free to make up BS to justify your uncritical fandom for a team that's produced only 20 winning seasons in 58 years.

Edited by SoTier

16 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

From what I could tell from minicamp, it seems the position is wide open just as is the case with most other positions that don't have a player's name etched in stone there. 

I think Ryan Groy began seeing more 1st team reps as camp went on; I think he will end up being favored to win the position just based off how liked he was by the sometimes hard- to-please Bills' fans when he was backing Wood, as well as his increase in 1st team reps.