Beane's Counterbalance to Missing on Josh Allen: Great Trades, Drafting, and Free Agent Pickups.

8 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Mahomes is technically not a Beane decision so it should not come into the equation for evaluating his moves.

i think Beane has done everything right so far.   I’m good with the Allen pick.  I was surprised by it but don’t have a problem with it. 

I know Beane is technically the GM but let’s be honest. McDermott has the final say.

35 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean just because the guy’s a Bill and we want him to be great doesn’t mean we have to make up false narratives.  

Same goes the other way too!

49 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I know Beane is technically the GM but let’s be honest. McDermott has the final say.

Didn't you see draft day?  It's always the GM in control.

*Sarcasm off*

I don't care who wanted him or didn't.  As long as both side were in agreement with the decision.  

1 hour ago, BurpleBull said:

Hit or Miss on Allen, Beane Should Remain here.

So here's to Allen panning out, but if he doesn't, it'll be good knowing the right guys are in place to right the ship, with a surer thing the next time around.

Here's a song for you:

4 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Would you argue the cause. Justified. Wouldn’t trust him to take another swing. 

Believe it or not, the draft isn't a science.  The best you can do is make an educated guess as to whether someone is going to pan out.  To stake his career on ONE draft pick is absolutely ridiculous.  Additionally, he wheeled and dealed until we had a high enough pick to take a shot without completely mortgaging the future. 

And as for the "wouldn't trust him to take another swing" comment:  Based on their success last year through the draft, I would argue that (thus far) he has a great track record of success in the draft.  Yes, it's just one year.  And yes, they were working with the information provided to them from Whaley's scouts.  But his personnel moves, his one draft, and his ability to wheel and deal should tell you that he knows what he is doing.  Why wouldn't you want him to take another shot?

• Like (+1) 2

Assuming we keep on the current trajectory, I agree with the title of this thread, but not the path it has taken. Allen vs Rosen is not the big picture question. QB is hit or miss. Try again if you must and everything else is doing well....or making progress at least.

Teams miss on QB’s every year. It doesn’t mean you want to start all over with new coaches, schemes and FO’s. That’s the treadmill to nowhere we’ve been on far too long! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean just because the guy’s a Bill and we want him to be great doesn’t mean we have to make up false narratives.  

Which is what many on this board seems to be doing. Not trying to be negative, I just see the glass 56% full.

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Didn't you see draft day?  It's always the GM in control.

*Sarcasm off*

I don't care who wanted him or didn't.  As long as both side were in agreement with the decision.  

This is the only way to look at it.  The Bills needed to address the QB position and they got who they though was the best guy, at least in the draft spot that was attainable.  As discussed ad nauseam last April, it's a crap shoot...no guarantees any of the top 4 QBs taken work out.  If Allen does not work out, we probably revisit this past April in another three years or so, unfortunately.  If this does happen, I don't think it would necessarily reflect poorly on Beane and/or McDermott and I hope they're around to try again.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

John, you’re awesome but have you ever not liked a Bills’ personnel move? ?

and I agree that I’m happy that took a qb.  But I definitely question the qb they took.  They took the biggest risk qb.  If he doesn’t work out, they will look like giant morons because there was a ton of evidence that he will struggle.  And I’ve never wanted to be more wrong about anything.  

I trust McDermott 100% on defense.  However so far, he has been questionable at best at his offensive player evaluations.

Who were the lower risk QB's they should have taken?

2 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

I loved the Allen pick.  But if he is a bust Beane will be gone after the 2019 season.  That is just the way it is.  

I would think that in the hopefully unlikely chance that Allen is a bust, Beane would understand it quickly enough to take another swing at getting a QB.  Not double down like Whaley did, trading away way too much in hopes that he can turn around a bad QB pick like EJ was.  There were some QBs available the year after EJ was drafted like Carr, Garoppolo & Bridgewater. If Whaley had shown any ability to see how bad EJ was after a year here, he could have corrected Nix's error.  If Allen fails & Beane sees it quickly enough, he gets a 2nd shot.  To me that means if Allen isn't showing enough, Beane would be wise to spend a 1st or 2nd on another QB in next year's draft.  Unconventional going after a QB a year after trading up & drafting one, sure, but better to hedge the bet than put all your eggs in the Allen basket if he hasn't shown enough to be entrenched as the 2019 starter.  It's not like teams haven't hedged on the franchise QB bet before.  Many years ago the Jets had 2 rookie QBs in camp, Joe Namath & Heisman winner John Huarte.  More recently in 1989 the Cowboys drafted Troy Aikman #1 overall, then spent a #1 in the supplemental draft on Steve Walsh.  Eventually they recouped the #1 by trading Walsh to the Saints when Aikman proved to be the franchise QB they were looking for.  Other hedges have included Washington trading a ton to St.Louis for RGIII at pick #2 overall, then taking Cousins in the 4th round.  The Redskins also hedged when they drafted Heath Schuler & Gus Frerrotte in the same draft.  In both cases the #1 pick bombed & the other guy ended up starting. 

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, The_Dude said:

Would you argue the cause. Justified. Wouldn’t trust him to take another swing. 

Why?

This guy was considered by some to be the overall pick in the draft.....why should we fault Beane if he doesnt work out.....

AND

He did it with house money.....not losing future 1st round draft picks

2 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

But we haven't seen Allen play in the NFL yet,not sure how you came to that conclusion.

Obviously he was talking about what we had to give up vs what the Redskins gave up.  

To move up to 7 he Bills gave up pick 12 (which includes 1st moving up by trading Glenn) and picks 53 & 56 (which was for letting the Rams have Watkins for a year & the Bills got the pick & Gaines for a year). 

Meanwhile to move up to 2, the Redskins gave up 6, pick 39 in 2012, their 1st in 2013 (22nd) and their 1st in 2014 (#2 overall) 

Just the fact that the Bills didn't give up any other #1s except pick 12 proves it was a much safer trade than what Washington did.  It's not even close, they gave up 3 #1s, one of which turned out to be the 2nd pick of the draft (which the Rams wasted on a bust, Greg Robinson).  

Barring an elite defense and/or Peterman/McCarron becoming the next Kirk Cousins, you can probably say goodbye to Beane and McDermott if Allen is a bust.  It's just the way the NFL works.

37 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

So to review:

In this thread, Bills fans have applauded the GM for his QB selection, decided it may not be the right choice, but determined he should remain the GM even if it was not.

:lol:

:thumbdown:

That thought crossed my mind about 30 seconds after the Allen pick when I was frantically going through the 2019 NFL QB draft prospects.

• Haha (+1) 1