Beane's Counterbalance to Missing on Josh Allen: Great Trades, Drafting, and Free Agent Pickups.

Were any of the players you guys were enamored with, minus Harrison Phillips, still available from picks 53 to 96?

Courtland Sutton (40th)

Harold Landry (41st)

Connor Williams (50th)

Anthony Miller (51st)

None of mine were.

This is why I don't stress over what was given up to move up in the 1st rd; in my opinion Brandon Beane didn't break the bank.

The Bills surrendered Sammy Watkins, Cordy Glenn, the 12th overall pick, 53rd, and the 56th for the chance to grab Josh Allen 7th overall.

Far worse on paper than in actuality when you consider that Sammy Watkins was somewhat overrated, prone to injury, probably being paid a lot more than his actual football value and had his potential replacement drafted in the form of Zay Jones; Cordy Glenn was beginning to enter into the same territory as Watkins, despite being the more valuable of the two and the Bills also had his replacement on deck with Dion Dawkins.

Both replacements lessening the sting of both departures.

Beane is all about getting great value, players who perform, he's all about getting more bang for the buck.

So it's easier to understand why he would have taken Josh Allen over Josh Rosen despite the glaring areas of concern that stuck out, such as his accuracy, decision-making, and underwhelming stats versus small-school competition. 

Selecting Josh Rosen, an oft-injured college player, with what some might describe as personality flaws, would have gone against what seems to be Beane's philosophy for building a winner.

Josh Allen: durable, tough, athletic, smart, locker room guy, enthusiastic, coachable, powerful arm.

He was easily the safer investment between himself and Josh Rosen.

Which leads me to disagree with this notion, that Brandon Beane would be run out of town, should Josh Allen fail to materialize into what he, Sean McDermott, and Brian Daboll envision him becoming.

The Bills' roster is pretty set all around with a few areas that could use upgrades here and there and the Bills loss no future picks in acquiring Josh Allen; the present looks pretty good with things primed to only get better.

Plenty good would still be intact to see the Bills through and pressing forward should Allen fail to launch, so I have full faith that the Bills organization, the Pegulas---knowing a good thing when they see it---would simply move on from Allen versus cutting ties with Brandon Beane and breaking up the solid working relationship he's displayed with Sean McDermott---as some suggest would be the rightful outcome.

So here's to Allen panning out, but if he doesn't, it'll be good knowing the right guys are in place to right the ship.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Bills 2018 Free Agent Signings:

from ESPN.com

Trent Murphy, DE

Grade: B. The Bills are upgrading their pass rush but it will come at a cost, as Murphy becomes one of the team's highest-paid players.

Kyle Williams, DT

Grade: A. As long as Williams can maintain his level of play at age 35, this is a solid re-signing that will maintain some continuity of leadership in the locker room from last season's playoff team.

Star Lotulelei, DT

Grade: B. Without knowing the details of Lotulelei's five-year deal, it is hard to say whether the contract was worth it, but Lotulelei fills a position of desperate need for Buffalo.

Vontae Davis, CB

Grade: B-plus. Davis is four years older than E.J. Gaines, who he is projected to replace in Buffalo's secondary, but comes at a more reasonable price tag.

Chris Ivory, RB

Grade: C. Between Ivory's age (he turns 30 this month), his cost ($5.5 million base value over two years) and his production in Jacksonville, there are reasons to be skeptical about this signing for Buffalo.

Jeremy Kerley - WR

Marshall Newhouse - RT

Russell Bodine - C

Julian Stanford - OLB

Tenny Palepoi - DT

Phillip Gaines - CB

Terrence Fede - DE

Rafael Bush - S

----------------------------------------

Bills 2018 NFL Draft

Josh Allen - QB  (1st rd)

Tremaine Edmunds - MLB  (1st rd)

Harrison Phillips - DT  (3rd rd)

Taron Johnson - DB  (4th rd)

Siran Neal - DB  (5th rd)

Wyatt Teller - OG  (5th rd)

Ray-Ray McCloud - WR  (6th rd)

Austin Proehl - WR   (7th rd)

Edited by BurpleBull
  • Like (+1) 7

You cant blame then for taking their chance......regardless of how ppl feel if it was the right QB

I just think it is interesting how in a draft where they might not have many misses.......guys like Teller....Neal.....late round pick that may end up being gems

I think this is gonna be a great draft.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

You cant blame then for taking their chance......regardless of how ppl feel if it was the right QB

I just think it is interesting how in a draft where they might not have many misses.......guys like Teller....Neal.....late round pick that may end up being gems

I think this is gonna be a great draft.

John, you’re awesome but have you ever not liked a Bills’ personnel move? ?

and I agree that I’m happy that took a qb.  But I definitely question the qb they took.  They took the biggest risk qb.  If he doesn’t work out, they will look like giant morons because there was a ton of evidence that he will struggle.  And I’ve never wanted to be more wrong about anything.  

I trust McDermott 100% on defense.  However so far, he has been questionable at best at his offensive player evaluations.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Allen missed more games in college than Rosen.

But to my knowledge was concussion free. I get people can argue shoulder injuries..... because you’re big you’re not invincible... etc. I do worry about concussions these days more than almost any other injury. 

I fully expected Rosen to be the choice and I would have been very happy with that. It was Allen, so I’ll have to live with that and pray for the best. It’s a judgement call and time will tell.  

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean just because the guy’s a Bill and we want him to be great doesn’t mean we have to make up false narratives.  

oh I know.  Just getting my popcorn ready. You just tossed a bit of red meat out there...

Just to play devils advocate

you say Rosen is injury prone and Allen is big strong and durable 

but

Allen also had a very bad shoulder injury which required a medical red shirt year so it’s not like he’s indestructable 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

But to my knowledge was concussion free. I get people can argue shoulder injuries..... because you’re big you’re not invincible... etc. I do worry about concussions these days more than almost any other injury. 

I fully expected Rosen to be the choice and I would have been very happy with that. It was Allen, so I’ll have to live with that and pray for the best. It’s a judgement call and time will tell.  

I agree but concussions can be fluky.  That team was all Rosen.  He had to score 40 points/ game to have a chance. 

Ive always said that I would feel million times better about Allen if we had Andy Reid.  I don’t trust Daboll/ McDermott.  Hopefully, they are geniuses.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Agreed but if Mahomes is a stud and Allen isn’t, it wasn’t worth it.  

"IF is the middle word in life", "can't get to the moon on fractions".

To me all that's in the past.  I don't like to do the "what if's" no more.

But it would/will start a lot of threads.  LOL

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Just to play devils advocate

you say Rosen is injury prone and Allen is big strong and durable 

but

Allen also had a very bad shoulder injury which required a medical red shirt year so it’s not like he’s indestructable 

Yup and there are monsters like Cam and Big Ben who get hurt all the time.

brady is built like a school girl and has been hurt once in his career.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

"IF is the middle word in life", "can't get to the moon on fractions".

To me all that's in the past.  I don't like to do the "what if's" no more.

But it would/will start a lot of threads.  LOL

Haha, fair enough.  But man, Mahomes is in a great situation to succeed. One of the best qb coaches ever and studs surrounding him.  I’d argue that our offense is possibly the least talented group in the nfl.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yup and there are monsters like Cam and Big Ben who get hurt all the time.

brady is built like a school girl and has been hurt once in his career.

Haha, fair enough.  But man, Mahomes is in a great situation to succeed. One of the best qb coaches ever and studs surrounding him.  I’d argue that our offense is possibly the least talented group in the nfl.  

Yes he is.  As for the Bill's offense as it sits now I could agree with bottom 1/4.  It will look a lot different next year.

Daboll success or failure will be key and personally I won't know that till the end of the season.

Like the "brady built like a school girl" line!

Mahomes is technically not a Beane decision so it should not come into the equation for evaluating his moves.

i think Beane has done everything right so far.   I’m good with the Allen pick.  I was surprised by it but don’t have a problem with it.