All-22 analysis of Dion Dawkins

this is the core of bad OL thinking

Cordy Glenn didn't play most of the season, meaning Dawkins started at LT most of the time.  If there was any concern about Dawkins, either Glenn would not have been traded or they would have drafted/traded/FA pickup for a LT. 

Russell Bodine meets or excedes this measure

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I believe his prior working relationship with Castillo (he was first one hired) is overriding his common sense.  The blame fell on Rick Dennison.

But how could a rookie left tackle play so well if Castillo didn't know what he was doing?

10 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

this is the core of bad OL thinking

Not sure how you arrive at this conclusion.  Dawkins is probably the one guy who is a lock at the position.

10 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Russell Bodine meets or excedes this measure

He's a FA pickup who will compete for the starting center position.  Once Eric Wood retired, there was no sure lock for center.  It's possible the coaching staff thinks Groy is a better guard than center.  I think everything but LT is to be decided.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I think we're going to be happy with the contribution Chris Ivory makes. But, I can't believe the used parts they're building this O-line with, and the utter lack of attention to WR.

I think in Beane's head they have paid attention to WR by trading a 3rd for Benjamin (a former 1st rounder available on the premise Devin Funchess was just as good, healthier and cheaper, and drafting Zay Jones in the 2nd last year. 

I mean, a 3rd this year and a 2nd last year, how much more attention you want the man to pay? (sarcasm)  Spend actual money re-signing the WR talent we had, that is now succeeding for other teams, or something?

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think in Beane's head they have paid attention to WR by trading a 3rd for Benjamin (a former 1st rounder available on the premise Devin Funchess was just as good, healthier and cheaper, and drafting Zay Jones in the 2nd last year. 

I mean, a 3rd this year and a 2nd last year, how much more attention you want the man to pay? (sarcasm)  Spend actual money re-signing the WR talent we had, that is now succeeding for other teams, or something?

I don’t completely hate the Benjamin trade but there were major red flags that Beane knew about. There has been a lot of talk about how bad his knees have been for a while and Carolina wasn’t exactly loaded at wr.  

We we have zero explosion in our passing attack.  That hurts our qbs and McCoy.  It is a huge problem.

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don’t completely hate the Benjamin trade but there were major red flags that Beane knew about. There has been a lot of talk about how bad his knees have been for a while and Carolina wasn’t exactly loaded at wr.  

We we have zero explosion in our passing attack.  That hurts our qbs and McCoy.  It is a huge problem.

From Carolina's perspective, through 2018 and 2019 they could keep two out of Olsen, Benjamin, and Funchess over the next 2 years.  Funchess was a 2nd round pick and doesn't have a 5th year option, so he is only signed through 2018 just like Benjamin WITH his 5th year option.  Funchess is younger, doesn't have the knee history, and they felt he could be as productive as Benjamin based on his play through the first half of 2017.    So it absolutely made sense from Carolina to trade off Benjamin and his questionable knees, resign Olsen, and see what Funchess can do before offering him a 2nd contract.

From Beane's perspective, it was a bit of a desperation grab IMO.  They hadn't adequately filled Goodwin's "burner" role to open up the deep ball for Taylor.  They thought Jordan Matthews would be as good or better than Woods and cheaper - well, kind of, when healthy, except less separation and poorer routes.  They thought Zay Jones would be all that, and he was "oh, no".  Fundamentally, our WR were a hot mess and he had to do something.

16 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I don't know why you would make this assumption. He certainly wasn't going to roll with Tyrod, and I don't think anyone thinks that AJ is the future.

McD was fine going with a lower round project competing with Peterman...that’s why Beane came out and made the statement that it is the job of the GM to find a franchise QB imo- because knew he was likely fighting an uphill battle...furthermore, at no point has McD ever said publicly that he wants a franchise QB or needs one...and even after they selected Allen he did not appearly overly excited about acquiring the young prospect.

Edited by JaCrispy

19 hours ago, wppete said:

I agree but I think we will see additions after Preseason final cuts. We need to add WR and OL.

I hate being in the position of waiting for table scraps to hit the floor to fill such important roles. These post-cut acquisitions should be for depth, or players that have intrigued the coaches, and there is room on the roster. 

But, especially for O-line, which has to work as a unit, the likelihood of signing someone after preseason cuts in the first week of September, who will not only be better, but can fit into the unit is slim to none. IMO, O-line should be our biggest concern, at the moment. I'm sure it's weighing heavily on McCoy's mind.

On 7/3/2018 at 6:50 AM, GunnerBill said:

Yep, he is just a natural left sider.  Never looked comfortable to me at all on the right.  His footwork out of his stance when on the right side was a mess, feet crossing, off balance, over balancing.... it was all off. I think he could have straightened it out but it needed intensive work exclusively on the right side and he just didn't get that because he spent so much of the last OTAs, mini-camp, camp, pre-season etc filling in for Cordy at left tackle. I think the Bills probably drafted him thinking he started on the right and transitioned in his 2nd or 3rd year to the left side. Cordy's injuries forced them into an accelerated timetable.

good post every bit !

But I want to focus on the bolded bit you posted. It was tough reading he kept taking reps at LT as i so wanted him to to succeed Mills asap 

On 7/3/2018 at 2:08 PM, John from Riverside said:

I like that John Miller is being inserted back into the line up.....but other then that I am agreeing with this.

I like Groy on the field. not sure why he could not make it last year.

Hope he beats out Bodine. Hope Newhouse is serviceable or better. Hope Teller is a gem !
And glad John Miller looks to be trending back up. I do like him at guard. bet shady does too

20 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

If Dawkins was good as a rookie, why do people think Juan Castillo sucks?

And if he sucks, why didn't McD fire him?

Because he did not use Groy or Miller at RG and kept Mills out there to get beat in PP. Maybe that ?

19 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..not sure if that name is an enigma or one in need of an enema.....go Jets.........he's yours....

Hey ! Watch out cheering for them jets mister !

1st time HC for McD. he had to start somewhere.

Castillo? still watching that one ..
key is how one recovers from a mistake imho. McBeanes got the Guy they may have wanted all along in Brian D.

ps I am a big fan of Dion !

11 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

good post every bit !

But I want to focus on the bolded bit you posted. It was tough reading he kept taking reps at LT as i so wanted him to to succeed Mills asap 

I like Groy on the field. not sure why he could not make it last year.

Hope he beats out Bodine. Hope Newhouse is serviceable or better. Hope Teller is a gem !
And glad John Miller looks to be trending back up. I do like him at guard. bet shady does too

Because he did not use Groy or Miller at RG and kept Mills out there to get beat in PP. Maybe that ?

Hey ! Watch out cheering for them jets mister !

1st time HC for McD. he had to start somewhere.

Castillo? still watching that one ..
key is how one recovers from a mistake imho. McBeanes got the Guy they may have wanted all along in Brian D.

ps I am a big fan of Dion !

...yes sir.....never had much confidence in Dennison as OC or his ability to pay close attention to Castillo's OL schemes....Miller went from the penthouse to outhouse overnight??....seemed like two autonomous  factions despite the need for being "on the same page" which has to be...despite TT's faults, Dennison never showed he was enamored with working with him......good riddance....Daboll is hired and say OL will be scheme specific to opposition's defense........like his assertiveness as guy in charge and employing OL flexibility (within reason-weekly tweaks IMO) versus Castillo casting "his scheme in stone"....I'm probably wrong (used to it though)............

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

From Carolina's perspective, through 2018 and 2019 they could keep two out of Olsen, Benjamin, and Funchess over the next 2 years.  Funchess was a 2nd round pick and doesn't have a 5th year option, so he is only signed through 2018 just like Benjamin WITH his 5th year option.  Funchess is younger, doesn't have the knee history, and they felt he could be as productive as Benjamin based on his play through the first half of 2017.    So it absolutely made sense from Carolina to trade off Benjamin and his questionable knees, resign Olsen, and see what Funchess can do before offering him a 2nd contract.

From Beane's perspective, it was a bit of a desperation grab IMO.  They hadn't adequately filled Goodwin's "burner" role to open up the deep ball for Taylor.  They thought Jordan Matthews would be as good or better than Woods and cheaper - well, kind of, when healthy, except less separation and poorer routes.  They thought Zay Jones would be all that, and he was "oh, no".  Fundamentally, our WR were a hot mess and he had to do something.

all of the above.
 My opinion has changed about Kelvin. I thought he needed a haircut and healthier knees when Bills brought him in !
Not a fan of the pick and had many questions about Benjamin.

Benefit of the doubt speaking here.

Bills were looking at WR after Matthews went to poo nearly immediately ?
  Perhaps Bills knew he would need recovery time for KB , would limp through the last bit of the season. But was a focus for the future.setback for off line recovery time
he had no time to learn the play book and was again injured. setback for route running and confidence building for he and Tyrod or Peterman.
Easy for Defense to key on him. setback as he was getting handled off the line.
Tyrod was falling apart with his passing game.setback no pass threat to balance the field

Good news

His condition and the few reports say he looks quicker leaner ( !) and running healthy.
Makes me think his attitude is right. Good way to start the season.
maybe a minority voter but , i think he might have been a good investment ?

now add two more Mr Beanes please.

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

I hate being in the position of waiting for table scraps to hit the floor to fill such important roles. These post-cut acquisitions should be for depth, or players that have intrigued the coaches, and there is room on the roster. 

But, especially for O-line, which has to work as a unit, the likelihood of signing someone after preseason cuts in the first week of September, who will not only be better, but can fit into the unit is slim to none. IMO, O-line should be our biggest concern, at the moment. I'm sure it's weighing heavily on McCoy's mind.

best you can do is pick up depth at this point. And players who would have made a team but for too much talent at the position are the ones you might look for. or projects
Bills have some money but i don't feel they are pursuing any one of great note. 
 as some have mentioned, O line might well be improved overall when it shakes out

8 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...yes sir.....never had much confidence in Dennison as OC or his ability to pay close attention to Castillo's OL schemes....Miller went from the penthouse to outhouse overnight??....seemed like two autonomous  factions despite the need for being "on the same page" which has to be...despite TT's faults, Dennison never showed he was enamored with working with him......good riddance....Daboll is hired and say OL will be scheme specific to opposition's defense........like his assertiveness as guy in charge and employing OL flexibility (within reason-weekly tweaks IMO) versus Castillo casting "his scheme in stone"....I'm probably wrong (used to it though)............

we shall see. Certainly is was not just us critical fans ? Who felt the O Line had stepped a half yard back off the line of scrimmage since Roman and Lynn left ?> they had moments but were not consistent. and PP was a fright each time Taylor dropped back for me.
 Sure we can call you out later for being wrong. But i suspect there will be no need.

I like these writeups.

I used to think All-22 was the end all be all analysis as everybody throws it out as such. But all I see are articles diagnosing like.. 3 plays. What the heck is an All-22? Just a better angle of the whole game from the TV broadcast?

21 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I like these writeups.

I used to think All-22 was the end all be all analysis as everybody throws it out as such. But all I see are articles diagnosing like.. 3 plays. What the heck is an All-22? Just a better angle of the whole game from the TV broadcast?

Yes - it’s coach’s film vs regular broadcast where you can see “all 22” players on the field  instead of just what they are showing on TV. 

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes - it’s coach’s film vs regular broadcast where you can see “all 22” players on the field  instead of just what they are showing on TV. 

And I assume the only way to have access to that is having NFL Game Pass. I enjoy articles like these, but would just like to see more plays broken down. The Peterman one had like.. 4, Dawkins maybe 4 (can't access the link at work rn)