#WalkAway

Both parties always revert back to the mean eventually but Trump's brand of politics managed to lose both houses of Congress and the presidency in record time.  Now the party wants to double down on "Trumpism" and push for him to run again?  His endorsements may work for the midterms just because the party not in power almost always wins but I'd think twice before making him the nominee in 2024.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The Rs were ahead of the Ds in campaigning tech? Shocked on that. 

I’d heard the Obama and Hilly campaigns were super high tech. 

I thought the R were the laggards

Obama was the first one to assemble huge digital voter mailing lists. Now all candidates do that.

For example, Hillary likely purchased or used Obama’s voter data list, and Biden likely used some of Bernie’s list after Bernie lost, so they could target their voters.

Thats how it works these days.

32 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

If I was a Trump supporter, I’d be a little freaked out. The data foreign countries and firms have on them is ENORMOUS! 

They know where you live. They know where your kids go to school. They know if you believe Hillary eats babies.

Its one thing for the American government to know these things. It’s entirely different for foreign countries and who knows who else to have this data and be sold to whoever wants it.

Edited by Governor

58 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Really, the only way to fix our political system is to:

1. Move strictly to a public financing system. Each candidate gets the same to spend, same amount of tv time, same amount of direct mail ads, etc. That also has to extend to social media, etc.

2. Enforce a 2 week blackout rule like France does. Make it illegal to discuss the campaign ANYWHERE in the final 2 weeks.

3. Overturn Citizens United.

4. Create broad digital laws.

Edited by Governor
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Both parties always revert back to the mean eventually but Trump's brand of politics managed to lose both houses of Congress and the presidency in record time.  Now the party wants to double down on "Trumpism" and push for him to run again?  His endorsements may work for the midterms just because the party not in power almost always wins but I'd think twice before making him the nominee in 2024.

Agree.

In my best Trump impersonation, he's a loser. Why would anyone want to associate themselves with a loser?

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/16/2021 at 6:53 PM, Backintheday544 said:

Let’s not forget Republicans don’t really run on anything

except for fear. Fear they’re going to take your guns, fear they’re going to make the country communist, etc. Biden is the most vanilla candidate that it really highlights the Republicans fear mongering is unfounded.

I think it could cause issues with Republicans in midterms. They can’t run on fear. For Obama’s first mid-term they could run heavy on fear with ACA. They lied about death panels to stoke fear.

What fear can they stoke now? If you don’t vote R then you a may get more stimulus checks! 

CNN, NBC, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube etc do all great job of not covering the bad stuff. Like the sudden escalation in Middle East violence, the hacked gas pipeline and inflated gas prices, the border crisis, money being shelled out to Iran and Palestine, the increase in taxes whether it be income or capital gains, the slow job growth. I could go on, but you get the point. Plus, didn’t joe Biden instill fear in all blacks by saying that the Republicans would ‘put them back in chains.’ So who’s doing the fear mongering again? Such a stupid thing to say 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Governor said:

Really, the only way to fix our political system is to:

1. Move strictly to a public financing system. Each candidate gets the same to spend, same amount of tv time, same amount of direct mail ads, etc. That also has to extend to social media, etc.

2. Enforce a 2 week blackout rule like France does. Make it illegal to discuss the campaign ANYWHERE in the final 2 weeks.

3. Overturn Citizens United.

4. Create broad digital laws.

I think #1 by itself would solve a lot of the problem. There is still the issue of the reality we live in and aristocracy not a democracy.  

2 hours ago, Governor said:

If I was a Trump supporter, I’d be a little freaked out. The data foreign countries and firms have on them is ENORMOUS! 

They know where you live. They know where your kids go to school. They know if you believe Hillary eats babies.

Its one thing for the American government to know these things. It’s entirely different for foreign countries and who knows who else to have this data and be sold to whoever wants it.

They know where you live etc which is true.  As does Google, Apple, Facebook, Twitter, ...  As does Kroger know everything you buy cuz of your frequent buyer card.  And that information is for sale. We are in the big data era.  Do you honestly think the only way for foreign actors to get this information is if Paul Mantafort gives it to them? Welcome to the 21st century.

Edited by reddogblitz

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I think #1 by itself would solve a lot of the problem. There is still the issue of the reality we live in and aristocracy not a democracy.  

After the Citizens United decision it's not going to happen.

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

After the Citizens United decision it's not going to happen.

No kidding. First it would somehow have to pass both houses and signed by the prez.  I have never seen a politician vote to give them less money.

Then all politicians would have to go by the rules and not cheat (good luck).

Even if they did they'd be all over the new law to find loop holes and they would find them.

Citizens United and SuperPACs came out of a new campaign finance law after all.  I'll leave it up to you if this was intentional or not.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

They know where you live etc which is true.  As does Google, Apple, Facebook, Twitter, ...  As does Kroger know everything you buy cuz of your frequent buyer card.  And that information is for sale. We are in the big data era.  Do you honestly think the only way for foreign actors to get this information is if Paul Mantafort gives it to them? Welcome to the 21st century.

Not at all the same data we’re talking about. 

10 hours ago, Governor said:

1 hour ago, Governor said:

Not at all the same data we’re talking about. 

What kind of data are you talking about then? 

14 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Yup, just like Santa Claus they know when you are sleeping, they know when you've been bad or good, so be good for goodness sake!

I try to keep as much of my life private as possible (with one exception being a few posts and opinions here) and I am always amazed at the low exception of privacy most people have today.  Like they believe its their duty to provide as much information or data about themselves to governments and corporations.  

There are things you can do to minimize your electronic fingerprints.  I'm no expert on it and there are experts in personal privacy and security that know a lot more but things like use VPN, get off social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter (stop things like posting pictures of yourself or your vacations that nobody wants to see anyway), pay cash for things when you can, get rid of personal assistant devices like Alexa (they are listening to everything you say if only for the keyword command "Hey Alexa"), don't use Google search or Gmail (Google parses and "reads" all your e-mails). 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Third Virginia sheriff leaves the Democrat Party to become a Republican

by Vivek Saxena

Thanks to its increasing anti-police extremism, the Democrat Party has lost three influential voters in Virginia.The three influential voters — Sheriff Chip Shuler of Smyth County, Sheriff John McClanahan of Buchanan County and Sheriff Brian Hieatt of Tazewell County — were once all Democrats. But not any anymore.Shuler made his switch two Mondays ago when he formally filed a membership application with the Smyth County Republican Committee and the application was promptly approved, as reported by local station WJHL.“I am changing to the Republican Party because of the relentless attack on law enforcement by Democrats in Richmond and Washington. My deputies work hard to serve and protect the citizens

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2021/06/03/third-virginia-sheriff-leaves-the-democrat-party-to-become-a-republican-1083667/

54 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Third Virginia sheriff leaves the Democrat Party to become a Republican

by Vivek Saxena

Thanks to its increasing anti-police extremism, the Democrat Party has lost three influential voters in Virginia.The three influential voters — Sheriff Chip Shuler of Smyth County, Sheriff John McClanahan of Buchanan County and Sheriff Brian Hieatt of Tazewell County — were once all Democrats. But not any anymore.Shuler made his switch two Mondays ago when he formally filed a membership application with the Smyth County Republican Committee and the application was promptly approved, as reported by local station WJHL.“I am changing to the Republican Party because of the relentless attack on law enforcement by Democrats in Richmond and Washington. My deputies work hard to serve and protect the citizens

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2021/06/03/third-virginia-sheriff-leaves-the-democrat-party-to-become-a-republican-1083667/

Awe, they don't like the fact they can no longer get away kneeling on necks and killing people?  See ya!

I always love a good DR thread bump.

Needless to say, some of this hasn't exactly aged well ... see the "Red Headed Patriot Mom" comment about "nobody is leaving" the Republican Party to join the Dems. 

On 7/2/2018 at 3:27 PM, Deranged Rhino said:

(video worth the six minutes)

Edited by The Frankish Reich