2018-2019 NBA Thread

11 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I'm not a basketball guy, but I joined a fantasy league with som guys this year, so I've been watching a few games. When did it become common place to tuck the ball like a football and run to the basket without traveling?

you are allowed:

1)  dribble and step simultaneously  (dribble right hand, step left)

2) a step (step right)

3) plant and hop off the other foot (plant left and take off)

when done properly, most people watching scream this is traveling

not to say that the league doesn't mind an extra step to allow a dunk, creativity is rewarded

and an extra step has always been given if in motion you catch and attack the rim without dribbling the ball.

Edited by row_33

11 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I'm not a basketball guy, but I joined a fantasy league with som guys this year, so I've been watching a few games. When did it become common place to tuck the ball like a football and run to the basket without traveling?

When they realized TV ratings went up after ESPN showed nothing but dunks.

You'll never see teams like the Bad Boys Pistons or early '90s Knicks again.

9 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

When they realized TV ratings went up after ESPN showed nothing but dunks.

You'll never see teams like the Bad Boys Pistons or early '90s Knicks again.

thank goodness, that was sheer crap out there

8 minutes ago, row_33 said:

thank goodness, that was sheer crap out there

To me it was more interesting than the current style.  I get bored very fast watching the Warriors, even aside from the fact that the games are usually not competitive.  It's like watching the NFL Pro Bowl.

31 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

To me it was more interesting than the current style.  I get bored very fast watching the Warriors, even aside from the fact that the games are usually not competitive.  It's like watching the NFL Pro Bowl.

People say this but really what was so interesting about it?

It’s like the people who clamor for defensive battles in the NFL, then look at a game that’s 12-9 and say “wow what boring game, both of those offenses suck.”

It’s a meme thing. No one actually wants a defensive battle. Give me the Pats - Chiefs prime time game over the Bill-Titans game any day of the week.

53 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

75-72 was quite a matchup

after the Magic/Bird Era this was going from Formula 1 to kids soapbox derby for talent

19 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Speaking of 60 win teams...

200w.gif?cid=19f5b51a5bcb30a6424f5a4c6ff

Don't get too comfortable with the Pelican star. It's going to be interesting to see how he and the Greek Freak in Milwaukee respond when their contracts are up. The big city and more media central teams such as LA (both teams), NY (both teams) and Boston compete for their talents. It is undeniable that both players' profiles and outside earnings would go up if they moved to these more economically prominent cities. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25029093/milwaukee-bucks-open-new-arena-win-see-contenders-east

I wouldn't be surprised if Kevin Durant shopped the market now that he has some championships under his belt. 

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Don't get too comfortable with the Pelican star. It's going to be interesting to see how he and the Greek Freak in Milwaukee respond when their contracts are up. The big city and more media central teams such as LA (both teams), NY (both teams) and Boston compete for their talents. It is undeniable that both players' profiles and outside earnings would go up if they moved to these more economically prominent cities. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25029093/milwaukee-bucks-open-new-arena-win-see-contenders-east

I wouldn't be surprised if Kevin Durant shopped the market now that he has some championships under his belt. 

I honestly believe that they are going to be the 2nd best team in the west. They are scoring 140 points a night!! It won’t keep up at that pace but they are the Steve Nash Suns. Since Boogie’s injury last year they are the highest scoring team in the league. They added Randle, Payton and have a whole season of Mirotic. Additionally, they have room to add a max player (or can) next offseason. Davis is also eligible for the super-max. I put the chances of him leaving in the next 5 years at like 10% max. That narrative has been blown out of proportion by Paul Pierce and the ESPN goon-squad. I’m still close with a lot of people over there and they all laugh at the notion that he is going anywhere. It’s just noise (sorry to disappoint any of you Celtics fans @YoloinOhio). 

25 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I honestly believe that they are going to be the 2nd best team in the west. They are scoring 140 points a night!! It won’t keep up at that pace but they are the Steve Nash Suns. Since Boogie’s injury last year they are the highest scoring team in the league. They added Randle, Payton and have a whole season of Mirotic. Additionally, they have room to add a max player (or can) next offseason. Davis is also eligible for the super-max. I put the chances of him leaving in the next 5 years at like 10% max. That narrative has been blown out of proportion by Paul Pierce and the ESPN goon-squad. I’m still close with a lot of people over there and they all laugh at the notion that he is going anywhere. It’s just noise (sorry to disappoint any of you Celtics fans @YoloinOhio). 

Lol I know it’s a pipe dream 

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Never apologize to Celtic fans for a critical comment. Rejoice in taking a shot when given an opportunity. They are immune from criticisms because they are  too absorbed with their own blather from their fading  memories of the Russell and Havelicheck days. The old school chowder heads were insufferable. Do you know where I would have liked to have shoved Red Auerbach's cigar when he lit up on the bench? Hint: It's a lower aperture that is smelly. :)