2018-2019 NBA Thread

Seems to me that AD can control where he goes to some degree. As a 2020 FA, no team will give up assets that will be necessary to obtain him without knowing he will sign with them beyond this next year. So if he wants LA, his agent can just tell Ainge he isn’t going to sign with Boston. But his words about wanting to go to a winner... I mean, playing with Lebron is one thing but that team isn’t that good overall. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

34 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Seems to me that AD can control where he goes to some degree. As a 2020 FA, no team will give up assets that will be necessary to obtain him without knowing he will sign with them beyond this next year. So if he wants LA, his agent can just tell Ainge he isn’t going to sign with Boston. But his words about wanting to go to a winner... I mean, playing with Lebron is one thing but that team isn’t that good overall. 

Agree to a certain extent, but most teams will take their chances on persuading him to re-sign ala Kawhi and Toronto.  Two years of prime AD is tough to pass up for any team even if it means a substantial outlay of assets.  

26 minutes ago, stony said:

Agree to a certain extent, but most teams will take their chances on persuading him to re-sign ala Kawhi and Toronto.  Two years of prime AD is tough to pass up for any team even if it means a substantial outlay of assets.  

I think it depends on what the deal is. Celtics giving up young talent would be tough to swallow if he doesn’t sign there. I assume Tatum is off the table but who knows.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The NBA has a serious problem on their hands with these star player "trade me now" shenanigans.  It was Kyrie Irving.  Then Kawhi Leonard.  Now Anthony Davis.  

The owners are going to do one of two things (or both).

Lock the players out until its addressed in the new CBA;

Collude collectively, just like MLB is doing to their free agents, against these player attempts.  In this scenario, no team trades for AD and no team signs him in free agency either and he just sits...and sits...

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

The NBA has a serious problem on their hands with these star player "trade me now" shenanigans.  It was Kyrie Irving.  Then Kawhi Leonard.  Now Anthony Davis.  

Collude collectively, just like MLB is doing to their free agents, against these player attempts.  In this scenario, no team trades for AD and no team signs him in free agency either and he just sits...and sits...

why?  the stars have always dictated where they want to go and play

Wilt, Kareem, Doc,  Moses let the pack in their day.

Never thought I'd be that guy.. but I might revoke my Knicks fandom :( this is inexcusable. The last straw

On 1/29/2019 at 3:32 PM, dpberr said:

it's fun! Best league in pro sports.

Any league where the power dynamic is comparable to Game of Thrones is a dope league.

The NFL parody show would be like.. Westworld

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

37 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

He will forever be known as poor mans Dirk. Hope you are happy KP.

So weird considering the situation though. KP hasn't played a year, and goes off in one day.

Only thing I can think of is they pushed hard for KP for AD.. and KP got pissed, proving himself for the incompetent team that maxes Melo with Joaqin Noah, KP and max Hardaway. It's a player's league and I personally find the news and drama fun! Watch game of zones sometime.

Knowing the Knicks, they are the biggest failure for a big market team in a players' league.. WTF?! how can they not attract guys, let alone retain them. Horribly ran. Watch the premium free agents go elsewhere while the Knicks max second tier players like Kris Middleton.. like they always do.

I see it as a "I'm breaking up with you before you break up with me" situation. KP knew Knicks were shopping him since last year. You know they were pushing HARD for Anthony Davis's. I don't get mad at players for requesting out any more than I get mad at teams for trading players that want to stay.. why side with the teams. NBA is the most fun league for me because the power is even, and the resulting drama is like watching Game of Thrones

17 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

So weird considering the situation though. KP hasn't played a year, and goes off in one day.

Only thing I can think of is they pushed hard for KP for AD.. and KP got pissed, proving himself for the incompetent team that maxes Melo with Joaqin Noah, KP and max Hardaway. It's a player's league and I personally find the news and drama fun! Watch game of zones sometime.

Knowing the Knicks, they are the biggest failure for a big market team in a players' league.. WTF?! how can they not attract guys, let alone retain them. Horribly ran. Watch the premium free agents go elsewhere while the Knicks max second tier players like Kris Middleton.. like they always do.

I see it as a "I'm breaking up with you before you break up with me" situation. KP knew Knicks were shopping him since last year. You know they were pushing HARD for Anthony Davis's. I don't get mad at players for requesting out any more than I get mad at teams for trading players that want to stay.. why side with the teams. NBA is the most fun league for me because the power is even, and the resulting drama is like watching Game of Thrones

I like Game of Thrones on Sunday night, I like sports to be competitive on the court/field. I like the owners/GMs to make personnel decisions, I like coaches that coach and players that play. 

I dont like players having all the power, it eliminates a lot of the strategy that goes into team building. I’m a Celts fan, I can’t even imagine how places like NO, and OK feel. 

11 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

I like Game of Thrones on Sunday night, I like sports to be competitive on the court/field. I like the owners/GMs to make personnel decisions, I like coaches that coach and players that play. 

I dont like players having all the power, it eliminates a lot of the strategy that goes into team building. I’m a Celts fan, I can’t even imagine how places like NO, and OK feel. 

It's 50/50. It only eliminates poorly ran franchises. Harden didn't want out of OK, KD didn't like management choosing Russ over him to run the team, or the coach. AD wanted out of NO. Spurs do just fine. It holds management 1000x more accountable and doesn't waste away the years of Barry Sanders's.

GSW were nothing before they built their team through the draft. But I'll concede it certainly eliminates some team building strategy.. but more to the extent that it forces team building strategy to a higher standard. Chargers aren't allowed to blow Phillip Rivers' career for 7+ years in between his great teams from 2007 to 2019. Rivers demands a trade to the Bills in my NBA/NFL hybrid world.

JMO

I swear to God I absolutely f*****g HATE James Dolan. The biggest f***tard in all of sports. We had a good thing going and then he flips half the team for Carmelo Anthony. Now we are doing exactly what we are supposed to do to land Zion Williamson, this idiot trades away Porzingas, and we get players back that will likely play us out of that position. We are not gonna get Kyrie. We are not gonna get Durant. Dumbest f*****g owner in ALL of professional sports. Stupid, just absolutely f*****g stupid. 

• Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, H2o said:

I swear to God I absolutely f*****g HATE James Dolan. The biggest f***tard in all of sports. We had a good thing going and then he flips half the team for Carmelo Anthony. Now we are doing exactly what we are supposed to do to land Zion Williamson, this idiot trades away Porzingas, and we get players back that will likely play us out of that position. We are not gonna get Kyrie. We are not gonna get Durant. Dumbest f*****g owner in ALL of professional sports. Stupid, just absolutely f*****g stupid. 

Dude.. absolutely spot f******g on.

plan for specific offseason -> tank and draft star -> strike out on big name FAs -> overpay mediocre players with cap space -> suck -> trade bad contracts for expiring deals 4 years later

They're gonna miss on the 4 Marquis FA, regardless even if they get one, they're not nearly good enough to be any better than the Pelicans with AD (probably worse without a True Holiday). They literally need 2-3 max guys, 2 being 2 of KD, Kemba Walker, AD, Kyrie, Kawhi, Paul George, whoever I'm missing. They sign Kris Middleton and like.. Jaylen Brown to max deals. Guarantee it. They're getting Zion (and trading him 2-4 years later) second tier FAs for Max contracts that they will salary dump 2-4 years later AS THEY DID WITH MELO + NOAH, TIM HARDAWAY JR + KRISTAPS, and now Kris friggin Middleton.

AND REPEAT. OVER AND OVER AGAIN. WHAT THE HELL.

Dude.. they drafted Tim Hardaway Jr, gave him away, then signed him to a max. They traded Kristaps for Dennis Smith Jr who they passed on in the draft for Frank NTILIKINA. And this is literally the biggest salary dump in league history right now. This trade has me on the edge as a Knicks fan.

Bill Simmons said Knicks fans are at serious major odds with management by this point and the length and magnitude of ineptitude merits considering finding another team.

The management is something I don't know how to deal with as a fan. The Bills haven't even come close to making me feel like that. All those posts people make after a poor Bills season how they're giving up are friggin p***is as fans compared to what us Knicks fans endure.

• Like (+1) 1

Being a fan of the Knicks is like.. if the Bills had Petermans everywhere.. every season lol. And Terry Pegs fired every crappy Peterman caliber coach in favor of the Petermans. 

because the Peterman-coaches are the sole problem and Pegs thinks the Peterman OL, DL CBs and Ks and another Peterman coach might fix everything along with signing a Peterman FB for a 40M 3 year deal fully guaranteed.

and then we draft Luke Kuechly but can't re-sign him after his rookie contract after we signed a Peterman FA to be in cap hell the year prior to Kuechly's contract expiration

6 hours ago, H2o said:

Dumbest f*****g owner in ALL of professional sports. Stupid, just absolutely f*****g stupid. 

What I'm trying to say is.. I've been rooting for Petermaknickerbockers of the 30 NBA teams my whole life.

And my allegience as a Bills fan would be a moral dilemma to me if we paid so many Petermans for so much money for 25 years

On 1/13/2019 at 9:33 AM, row_33 said:

Knicks and Jets are cursed?

Knicks had the early 90s Ewing teams which were pretty good and super fun at least. It was a team of enforcers lol.. Charles Oakley and Anthony Mason we're probably the top 2 maniac enforcers in the league.. on the same team! Lol

Serious question row, when, if ever, does one have the moral high ground to seek changing fandom. NBA.. NFL.. I always loved the Knicks. Loved Melo, Kristaps, now Trier.. and I think I still love them, I really do. But in the back of my mind I know I'm in an abusive relationship and my wife named Knickerbockers beats the crap out of me when I come home from a hard Day's work. And today she cheated on me (again) and had her lover beat the crap out of me and lock me out of my own house I paid for.

But I still love the her, I love the Knicks, and I promised in my marriage and fandom vows to stay until death does me in.

Would I be horrible for tepidly rooting for the Mavs (stadium is right across the street from me, I go to 20+ games a year) of Bucks fan (my brother's team). See my posts above ^.

What would row do?

8 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Knicks had the early 90s Ewing teams which were pretty good and super fun at least. It was a team of enforcers lol.. Charles Oakley and Anthony Mason we're probably the top 2 maniac enforcers in the league.. on the same team! Lol

Serious question row, when, if ever, does one have the moral high ground to seek changing fandom. NBA.. NFL.. I always loved the Knicks. Loved Melo, Kristaps, now Trier.. and I think I still love them, I really do. But in the back of my mind I know I'm in an abusive relationship and my wife named Knickerbockers beats the crap out of me when I come home from a hard Day's work. And today she cheated on me (again) and had her lover beat the crap out of me and lock me out of my own house I paid for.

But I still love the her, I love the Knicks, and I promised in my marriage and fandom vows to stay until death does me in.

Would I be horrible for tepidly rooting for the Mavs (stadium is right across the street from me, I go to 20+ games a year) of Bucks fan (my brother's team). See my posts above ^.

What would row do?

As for the Knicks, I started watching them in the last years of the Dynasty, i remember the 1973 FInals. Fans treated this team like it was Holy Holy Holy the way they played and the personalities grooving together.

I kind of bandwagoned onto the C's for the Hondo and Bird years myself.

The Knicks had a very good team for a few yers around Ewing, it wasn't close to the memories of Clyde and Pearl and Dollar Bill and to me the NBA was at a low point in stardom after the Bird/Magjc excellence. 

I really liked the Knicks team just before Ewing with Ray Williams and Michael Ray Richardson and Cartwright and Bernard King stepping in, entertaining but not going far in the playoffs.

As a fan in Toronto i watch East games mostly and keep tuning in for the Knicks for tradition and hoping to see that early 70s magic again...