Memory lane trip: 1980 Buffalo Bills

Until the SB loss to the Giants the worst I ever felt after a Bills game was the playoff loss to SD after the '80 season when Fergy gutted it out on one leg and they had them beat until...well, you know.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Until the SB loss to the Giants the worst I ever felt after a Bills game was the playoff loss to SD after the '80 season when Fergy gutted it out on one leg and they had them beat until...well, you know.

Yep. The heart sinking sight of Ron Smith running untouched still haunts me. I don’t even think I heard anything. Just the silence of death unfolding before me..

17 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yep. The heart sinking sight of Ron Smith running untouched still haunts me. I don’t even think I heard anything. Just the silence of death unfolding before me..

That was a biggie, then Ronnie Harmon a decade later.  They hurt so bad because it was (is?) such a rarity to make the playoffs. Both games were right there.

still wonder if Harmon was on the take.

(BTW—you’re old!)

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

The next year was every bit a bad. I can so vividly remember being in the family with my brother, Piccone getting the first..the flag...and WTF how could they do that after a timeout!!!!!

Way before they had the play clock on the screen, we just had no freaking clue the play clock had expired.

8 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

still wonder if Harmon was on the take.

No wonder about it, he was

12 hours ago, DCBongo said:

I feel if they had kept Smerles in 1990 they would have wonSB25.  

Lot's of credence to this, Giants had a big physical offense line and Jeff Wright, Smerlas replacement at nose tackle was a speed and finesse guy. Smerlas size ability may have at least slowed OJ Anderson; great post DCBongo!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, DCBongo said:

I feel if they had kept Smerles in 1990 they would have wonSB25.  

1 hour ago, vorpma said:

Lot's of credence to this, Giants had a big physical offense line and Jeff Wright, Smerlas replacement at nose tackle was a speed and finesse guy. Smerlas size ability may have at least slowed OJ Anderson; great post DCBongo!

Classic example of an overmatched team (Giants) seeing the one area they could exploit and beating it to death.

Oh, and those damned 3rd down conversions because of missed tackles!

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/3/2018 at 5:47 AM, plenzmd1 said:

The next year was every bit a bad. I can so vividly remember being in the family with my brother, Piccone getting the first..the flag...and WTF how could they do that after a timeout!!!!!

Way before they had the play clock on the screen, we just had no freaking clue the play clock had expired.

No wonder about it, he was

Kay Stephenson was the one who got the play in late, later became one of our worst head coaches ever.

I think the next play, Ferguson overthrew an open Hooks? in the endzone.

Four strange observations and a question:

1. I can't get the "Talking Proud" song out of my head. It played in my head all last night when I was trying to sleep.

2. I literally burst out in tears in 1980 when I was a 5th grader when the Bills lost in Week 13 at the Baltimore Colts (now Indianapolis), blowing a 14-0 lead. I remember Cater having a punt blocked. This was my first loss experienced as a new Bills fan and I was so upset. Despite winning the division, they lost twice that year to Baltimore.

3. For some bizarre reason, my grandfather told me that season not to get Chuck Knox confused with Chuck Knoll. I never did, and knew the difference, but he hammered the point in for whatever reason.

4. When they lost 24-2 at New England in Week 15, I  had no idea that a sack in the endzone resulted in a safety. The score was not continuously on the TV screen as it is now, and I had no idea that we scored until game's end when the final score was put up.  I was confused by us having 2 points

5. Did the Bills stay over on the west coast between their final game if 1980 at SF and their divisional playoff game two weeks later at San Diego? I distinctly remember the Bills doing that there or in Florida somewhere to save on travel around 1980 or 1981.

Edited by greenyellowred

8 hours ago, greenyellowred said:

5. Did the Bills stay over on the west coast between their final game if 1980 at SF and their divisional playoff game two weeks later at San Diego? I distinctly remember the Bills doing that there or in Florida somewhere to save on travel around 1980 or 1981.

No, they came home to a raucous crowd at the airport after the SF win.

• Like (+1) 1

Man, I loved Joe Ferguson. Is this the season that we went 4-0 and SI put us on the cover with the caption, "Hey, OJ, look at us now!"?

lol I have no memory of TE Brammer. 

Bill Simpson, Steve Freeman, Nick Mike-Mayer....man, this brings back memories of playing my brother in Strat-O-Matic football, me as the Bills and he as the Dolphins. 

1 hour ago, Domdab99 said:

Man, I loved Joe Ferguson. Is this the season that we went 4-0 and SI put us on the cover with the caption, "Hey, OJ, look at us now!"?

lol I have no memory of TE Brammer. 

Bill Simpson, Steve Freeman, Nick Mike-Mayer....man, this brings back memories of playing my brother in Strat-O-Matic football, me as the Bills and he as the Dolphins. 

Strat-o-matic football was intense.

On 7/1/2018 at 8:14 PM, Happy Gilmore said:

I almost think I'd rather hear "Talkin' Proud" over the Shout song.  Both suck, but Talkin' Proud less so.

They invented the digital camera in the 70s and tried to snuff it out when they realized the loss in profits from never needing Kodak film again. Greed killed Kodak. They could’ve been the only digital camera on the market, the way they dominated film. Oh well, Free Market