Bills attended Sam Beals pro Day

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

We can make a lot of great moves next offseason 

.....so should we fire McBeane BEFORE or AFTER?........just askin'........seems to be some apprehension 'round these parts..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Haha (+1) 1

He is incredibly talented.  Comes down to what kind of kid he is.  Poor academics are one thing.  Is there any other off the field things?  Can learn an NFL defensive scheme?  For a 3rd with Buffalo holding 2 4ths I think it's a reasonable gamble.  I expect multiple teams put in picks for him, comes down to rd and positioning.

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

He is incredibly talented.  Comes down to what kind of kid he is.  Poor academics are one thing.  Is there any other off the field things?  Can learn an NFL defensive scheme?  For a 3rd with Buffalo holding 2 4ths I think it's a reasonable gamble.  I expect multiple teams put in picks for him, comes down to rd and positioning.

...nicely done reasonable assessment....poor academics is a joke when you consider some that come out with decent academics and their "course of study (COUGH)".....when some sign their contract with an "X", you know something ain't passing the smell test.....

2 hours ago, WMDman said:

how and when does the Sup. draft work?

Its kind of like a silent auction.  

7 rounds and every team has a pick each round corresponding to this years NFL draft, but without trades.  So KC has their first round pick, Houston has their first round pick, Cleveland has the first pick of the 3rd round, etc

Teams then bid on what round they would draft the player.  Highest bid is awarded the player.  Team loses the corresponding pick in the following years draft.  

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Ineligible as a D1 college football player is like failing the first grade.  What’s 4+4? Jello!

Exactly.  This is the only really interesting bit in this article.

How low does someone's IQ have to be to achieve academic ineligibility at "Western Michigan University"?

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, MJS said:

To be honest, I don't think the supplemental draft should exist. Just let them enter the league as undrafted free agents.

What keeps them from purposely becoming ineligible so the can have their choice of team?

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

What keeps them from purposely becoming ineligible so the can have their choice of team?

They'll get paid next to nothing compared to getting drafted? And they'll be more expendable too.

NFL Network's Gil Brandt is hearing that one NFL team believes Western Michigan cornerback Sam Beal would have been taken in the second round had he entered the 2018 NFL Draft. As a result of the delay, Brandt is hearing that Beal will likely be taken in the third round of the 2018 NFL Supplemental Draft which takes place July 11.

Brandt also noted that the Buffalo Bills and Cleveland Browns are two teams to watch as possible suitors for Beal because they have extra picks in Rounds Three and Four in the 2019 NFL Draft

At his Pro Day earlier this week, Beal ran a wind assisted 4.40 in the 40 yard dash as well as a 4.55 second 40 yard dash against the wind. 

Beal was considered a first round talent in the 2019 NFL Draft. Bleacher Report mocked him to the Green Bay Packers No. 25 overall. Bleacher Report's Matt Miller recently reported that he is hearing Beal could be taken in the second round but the third round is more likely.

"He's becoming what the NFL is looking for. A tall guy that can run and can play press coverage. We play press coverage here," Sanchez said.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/Gil-Brandt-pegs-Bills-Browns-as-suitors-for-Sam-Beal-119505412/

I wonder how good is he at zone cover. 

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Exactly.  This is the only really interesting bit in this article.

How low does someone's IQ have to be to achieve academic ineligibility at "Western Michigan University"?

Under some situations, not very low. If you're studying and holding down a fulltime job and bringing up a kid, maybe it's reasonable.

But these players generally have tutoring, guidance in which courses to pick, someone calling to get 'em out of bed in the morning ... they're (not always, there are exceptions, but generally) pretty well supported by a staff that's used to handholding guys with limited academic skills though the system. See that show called Last Chance U. on Netflix about a JUCO for guys who've had problems? Fascinating.

Some academic ineligibility comes from not being able to make it to class in the morning consistently. On the other hand, some comes from stuff like dyslexia. It's a spectrum.

I wonder where on the spectrum this guy's problems fall?

The coach's recommendation looked very convincing to me, though.

Generally, the bad thing about supplemental draft guy is that something has caused them to be swept out of the system. That's not generally a good thing. It has to be factored in. Look at Josh Gordon. Spectacular talent. Pretty much of a train wreck personally.

The good thing if a guy can live up to his potential is that you're arbitraging the pick a bit. There's a reason that in the draft value pick charts in the 2018 draft, a 2018 2nd rounder is worth a 2019 1st. Next year's pick is worth less to many to most teams that are desperate, because they don't like to give away a pick now and not get a guy till the next year. This is the opposite. You're getting a guy this year and not having to give up the pick until next year's draft. It can represent a bargain.

But really it comes down to the guy.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, MJS said:

They'll get paid next to nothing compared to getting drafted? And they'll be more expendable too.

We're not talking about the same thing here. The draft eligible person who doesn't get drafted is who you are talking about. I was responding to a post that said just let the people ineligible for the draft become free agents. I pointed out that it would lead to people gaming the system to become free agents. Someone worthy of a 2nd or 3rd round pick who is a free agent would demand a lot more in compensation than the run of the mill free agent.

aflac duck.jpg