Attempting my first foray into smoking today

1 minute ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I actually saw a different one that really interested me on a site called Serious Eats. The recipe said that chuck is cheaper than brisket (which I knew) and more foolproof to smoke.

I might add more of a dry rub than what I saw, but your method worked out well?

Brilliantly. And it really doesn't need more than salt pepper and garlic.

Just now, joesixpack said:

Brilliantly. And it really doesn't need more than salt pepper and garlic.

Hmm. I don't have a smoker, so I might need to improvise one. The wife is out this weekend, and I have to do yardwork on a scorching day lol. Maybe making an improvised smoker is my consolation prize

2 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Hmm. I don't have a smoker, so I might need to improvise one. The wife is out this weekend, and I have to do yardwork on a scorching day lol. Maybe making an improvised smoker is my consolation prize

Oh you're in south jersey? Yeah, it's hotter than the ninth layer of hell here.

10 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Turn any grill into a smoker. Set up for indirect grilling, add wood chips/chunks, control temp.

Yeah. The question is if I'll have time to run to the store before I'm eating at 9 at might cuz I went low and slow enough lol

I also have some sausages I tried making I could smoke...

(and I note, the casings were hard to work with. Insert a plethora of jokes here)

1 minute ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Yeah. The question is if I'll have time to run to the store before I'm eating at 9 at might cuz I went low and slow enough lol

I also have some sausages I tried making I could smoke...

(and I note, the casings were hard to work with. Insert a plethora of jokes here)

I smoked some polish sausage I made a couple months back. Came out fantastic and didn’t take all day.

Next time have the wife help with the casings.?

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

I smoked some polish sausage I made a couple months back. Came out fantastic and didn’t take all day.

It was a lot of work. I had a hard time getting the casing on the spout and it kept sliding off, and then it burst. And I thought it would be quick, but it was taking forever. Then I knocked over the bowl of pork intestines, and it got everywhere. It took forever to clean up.

18 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

ohhh yeah. And my car AC is broken and I work in KoP

It's been some rough commutes.

I commute to Allentown twice a week. If I had to do that without AC, I'd probably end up murdering someone :lol:

5 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

It was a lot of work. I had a hard time getting the casing on the spout and it kept sliding off, and then it burst. And I thought it would be quick, but it was taking forever. Then I knocked over the bowl of pork intestines, and it got everywhere. It took forever to clean up.

You soaked and rinsed the casings well? Left them in the water until you put them on the spout? Coated the spout with Crisco?  That’s all I got.

My biggest problem is finding the opening. Damn old eyes.

Typically if they burst you’re trying to fill to much or too quickly. Maybe common sense but throwing it out there.  It is a two person job (for me at least). Someone turns the crank in a steady motion, I handle the casings.

Edited by Cripple Creek

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

I commute to Allentown twice a week. If I had to do that without AC, I'd probably end up murdering someone :lol:

Yeah, it's been...less than fun.

On another note, there's also a sous vide version where you finish it on charcoal. I might give that a look this summer...

Just now, Cripple Creek said:

You soaked and rinsed the casings well? Left them in the water until you put them on the spout? Coated the spout with Crisco?  That’s all I got.

Typically if they burst you’re trying to fill to much or too quickly. Maybe common sense but throwing it out there.  It is a two person job (for me at least). Someone turns the crank in a steady motion, I handle the casings.

It was my first time ?

I did soak them, but I was also trying to do it with a hurry, and my stuffer is a screw mounted attachment on my kitchenaid. Next time, I just need to be patient.

7 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

On another note, there's also a sous vide version where you finish it on charcoal. I might give that a look this summer...

It was my first time ?

I did soak them, but I was also trying to do it with a hurry, and my stuffer is a screw mounted attachment on my kitchenaid. Next time, I just need to be patient.

I used that attachment once. Second time I got fed up and went to a nearby Field & Stream and bought one. Best money I’ve spent in a while.  The grinder attachment works great, for me, the stuffer not so much.

if you do stick with the KA attachment add more water to your mix. It won’t hurt the flavor (will cook off or evaporate during smoking) and the stuffing should go much easier.

https://www.lemproducts.com/category/sausage-stuffers

F&S met the lowest online price too.

Edited by Cripple Creek

10 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I can find a link to the recipe I used if you want.

23 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Hey hey hey.   This is a family site.  

how embarrassing.    .......   

Take that **** to PM.  

Hell you even need help putting a condom on!!!!

If I spring a leak ...... 

23 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Your wife says that all the time. 

And she doesn’t like being referred to as “someone who has to help turn your crank”

Surprised @Cripple Creek can see it to put on a condom