Attempting my first foray into smoking today

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/mythbusting-smoke-ring-no-smoke-necessary

Interesting read. I like watching Raichlin, and he always gushes about the "gorgeous smoke ring" ..

Ironically, the smoke ring doesn’t mean anything at all. However I didn’t read this article yet so maybe they say otherwise. 

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

Ironically, the smoke ring doesn’t mean anything at all. However I didn’t read this article yet so maybe they say otherwise. 

That's what it says...proves its all a chemical reaction and adds no flavor..but we all love the look of it and it is great for the eyes and anticipation!

Thats why I get a kick out of him saying the smoke ring is a sign of "great flavor" . I love almost all his stuff, but he and Meathead differ on this ..and I love Meathead

41 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

That's what it says...proves its all a chemical reaction and adds no flavor..but we all love the look of it and it is great for the eyes and anticipation!

Thats why I get a kick out of him saying the smoke ring is a sign of "great flavor" . I love almost all his stuff, but he and Meathead differ on this ..and I love Meathead

I’ve smoked on propane and electric and I can say that my electric smoker was not nearly as good. Just my opinion. It produced zero smoke ring. And the mean felt over cooked even though I cooked at the same temps as I do on propane. I spend over $200 on this electric 40” and I’m not really happy with it at all. Should have just gotten a new 40” propane instead. 

I have never done a chuck roast.  

Mainly do Pork Butt or Brisket.  Pork Butt (pulled pork) is probably the easiest/most forgiving/bang for the buck.  I know with both those meats, it is important to (when its done on the smoker) to wrap it in foil and a towel and stick in a cooler for no less than 45 minutes to rest.  

I have done a few other things.  Smoked Deviled Eggs are fantastic.  Have done onion bombs which didn't turn out great.  One thing I did was take large boneless chicken breasts, butterfly them, fill them with a mixture of cream cheese, cheddar, and chopped up jalapenos.  Wrap with 2 pieces of back each and pin it with toothpicks.  Smoke.  Yum!

Also, if you do straight up chicken on the smoker, I would suggest finishing it on a conventional grill.  I always feel like straight smoker chicken tastes a little "rubbery".

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

I have never done a chuck roast.  

Mainly do Pork Butt or Brisket.  Pork Butt (pulled pork) is probably the easiest/most forgiving/bang for the buck.  I know with both those meats, it is important to (when its done on the smoker) to wrap it in foil and a towel and stick in a cooler for no less than 45 minutes to rest.  

I have done a few other things.  Smoked Deviled Eggs are fantastic.  Have done onion bombs which didn't turn out great.  One thing I did was take large boneless chicken breasts, butterfly them, fill them with a mixture of cream cheese, cheddar, and chopped up jalapenos.  Wrap with 2 pieces of back each and pin it with toothpicks.  Smoke.  Yum!

Also, if you do straight up chicken on the smoker, I would suggest finishing it on a conventional grill.  I always feel like straight smoker chicken tastes a little "rubbery".

You definitely want to crisp up that skin over some high heat and get some decent grill marks on the meat side of your bone-in thighs or breasts. 

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

You definitely want to crisp up that skin over some high heat and get some decent grill marks on the meat side of your bone-in thighs or breasts. 

I made a Jamaican jerk rub for bone-in thighs and they smoked up beautifully.  The meat was perfect, but I ruined the overall thighs because I had too much salt in the rub.  Bummed me out.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I made a Jamaican jerk rub for bone-in thighs and they smoked up beautifully.  The meat was perfect, but I ruined the overall thighs because I had too much salt in the rub.  Bummed me out.

That is the mistake I make more than any other..too much salt..you figure I would learn my lesson by now!!!!!

32 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

That is the mistake I make more than any other..too much salt..you figure I would learn my lesson by now!!!!!

From now on, I'm going to pre-salt the meat and leave most (if not all) salt out of my rubs.

32 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I also discovered, after a number of briskets, that all the fancy store bought rubs, or homemade concoctions cannot compare to just kosher salt and cracked black pepper.

Texas Style. And it’s amazing 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I also discovered, after a number of briskets, that all the fancy store bought rubs, or homemade concoctions cannot compare to just kosher salt and cracked black pepper.

For beef, salt, pepper, and oak smoke is all you need.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Be warned!  Once you start smoking it is awfully hard to quit!

Was this meant for the “Legalized” thread? Reefer Madness? 

I don’t have room to add any new contraptions, but I’m open to finding more ways to use the Weber I have.

**muppy raises her hand**   I thought he/she  meant weed that  thread has comedic legs possibilities just sayin' LOL..

56 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

giphy.gif

this is how I smoke ?

post the toast mon hhahaa

On 7/1/2018 at 2:17 PM, DC Tom said:

I hear The Waiting Is The Hardest Part...

Oh, wait...wrong "smoking."  

listen to you quoting the late great Tom Petty ? may he RIP

hubby purchased his own Traeger smoker for Fathers day..he nearly poisoned me with his first salmon rub waaaayy too heavy with the salt and cayenne second time  much better that salmon melted like butter sooo good///. Tried brisket, was tasty but chewy....Smoked chickens this weekend with a salt brine and they were delicious,.

• Haha (+1) 1

I use a weber smokey mountain.  Love it.

I recommend this thermometer.  Wireless and you have 2 probes.  One for the meat, and one for the smoker temp.

ThermoPro TP-08 Wireless Remote Digital Cooking Meat Thermometer Dual Probe for Grilling Smoker BBQ Food Thermometer - Monitors Food from 300 Feet Away https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014DAVHSQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_NO1oBb16TDNKH

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:39 AM, joesixpack said:

With a four pound chuck roast. Saw a recipe that interested me, figured I’d give it a shot. Helpful hints?

I actually saw a different one that really interested me on a site called Serious Eats. The recipe said that chuck is cheaper than brisket (which I knew) and more foolproof to smoke.

I might add more of a dry rub than what I saw, but your method worked out well?