Underrated aspect of McBeane Tenure: Managing the Cap

8 hours ago, liverpoolkev said:

is this mcbeane relative......stop with the smoke he hasn't  picked up anyone of substance unless you want to include our TE I mean wr Benjamin …..its easy to shed salary its hard to pick up talent …..unless you think giving chubby from carolina  50 mill for nothing, since he cant rush the passer, was a good thing …….they will both be fired in two years when their qb becomes another billy joe Hobert or jp losman    

I miss Bills hate. ? Really takes me back.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, cage said:

Hyde and Power don't count because....??

“Hyde and Power” sounds like it has the makings of another mindless guy/girl cop movie starring Tom Cruise. ?

To your point, though, can’t you see admissions like that would ruin the narrative?

I have to say at least this feels like there is a plan in place.  Whether or not it pans out we'll have to wait and see.  I always felt like Whaley was just flailing around trying to hit on something without any regard for the long game.  Of course that could be a product of the win today or else mentality in today's NFL. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, transient said:

“Hyde and Power” sounds like it has the makings of another mindless guy/girl cop movie starring Tom Cruise. ?

To your point, though, can’t you see admissions like that would ruin the narrative?

Hyde and Poyer were Whaley signings....

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, liverpoolkev said:

is this mcbeane relative......stop with the smoke he hasn't  picked up anyone of substance unless you want to include our TE I mean wr Benjamin …..its easy to shed salary its hard to pick up talent …..unless you think giving chubby from carolina  50 mill for nothing, since he cant rush the passer, was a good thing …….they will both be fired in two years when their qb becomes another billy joe Hobert or jp losman    

Clueless person ?

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I feel he has not only created space with people not in their vision for the future, but in addition, he and McD have. Picked up a number of role players people never thought would produce well like Poyer.  Their drafts seem to be solid, but as always. Only time will tell.

im very happy with this regime and the silliness of suggesting they will both be fired in two years is ridiculous.  Anyone see that that playoff game last year in their first year when they purged Darby, Dareus, Glenn and so on.  They didn’t fit into these guys scheme.

Poyer and Hyde are basically our only remaining quality adds, and those are both Whaley finds. The guy made his living in pro personnel. 

53 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

When has the cap prevented the Bills from keeping or signing anyone in the last ten years?

Without a franchise QB salary anyone on this board could manage the cap.

The Bills have been consistently hard against the cap over the last few years while not paying franchise QB money.  That's not good cap management.  I believe Beane has done a fantastic job of fixing the past cap problems while positioning the Bills to be a playoff contender for a long time.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Among other things, one of the issues with the tedious McBeane almalgam is the “tenure” isn’t exactly the same. I’d be surprised if McDermott had no input into their signings, but fair point. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

......it's just simply too soon to properly access these two yet. Even after this season, it might seem clearer but still a bit premature.

After the 2019 season is when they come into full focus as to how they've progressed as a GM/HC tandem.

This is sarcasm right?  

In 1.1 seasons they've completely changed the losing culture with character players and went to the playoffs.  Most players they brought in played well.  They've proven a lot in a short time and deserve more than you saying nothings happened let me wait and see if anything does.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

For the most part, we have focused on the specific player acquisitions - but an underrated aspect of the McBeane decision making regarding the roster has been the willingness to take salary cap related lumps now for future cap relief.

After the Dareus, Tyrod and Glenn trades and the Wood retirement, the Bills have  among the more healthy cap situations in the league. Of course a major consequence of that is the 2018 roster, which is likely the cheapest in the NFL. I mean, with 40+ mill in dead cap tied to these 4 players - we are the Oakland A's version of NFL Moneyball. Of course it helps to have underpaid QBs.

I think the "moneyball" comment is a bit of a stretch.

Let's look at this year top 4 Dead Money players.

1.  Tyrod Taylor trade and subsequent dead money hit was directly related to pursuing a high level rookie QB.

TT was not staying on the team and the dead money hit had nothing to do with a "moneyball" move.

2.  Cordy Glenn was traded to move up in the draft to get a QB.  Once again this move had nothing to do with "moneyball".

3.  Eric Wood was a surprise retirement.

4.  Marcell Dareus and his contract has been discussed to death.  The question was, is he the kind of player that McDermott wanted.

I'm of the opinion that McDermott wanted a player like Star (which I think he was already targeting) much more than Marcell.

I predict the Bill's will have one of the lower Dead Money hits in 2019 and the hits will be "performance" based.

To give an example of a team with bad "Dead Money" hits which were not "moneyball" related but due to bad cap management

and "creative" contract manipulation look no farther than New Orleans Saints.

2015 - #1 in Dead Money - $34.1 million.

2016 - #1 in Dead Money - $42.1 million.

2017 - #6 in Dead Money - $25.6 million.

That's a total of $101.8 million over 3 years.

On the other side of the 2019 spectrum are the Philadelphia Eagles which currently are 54.7 million OVER the current cap.

They will be losing some big name players too, but for a different reason.

There are 3 main reasons for cap/dead money issues.

1.  Change in GM/Head Coach - Buffalo Bills.

2.  Bad Contract Management - New Orleans Saints

3.  Back Loading/Restructuring for Super Bowl Run(s) - Philadelphia Eagles.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, liverpoolkev said:

Wow. I HOPE you're trolling.... Cuz there isn't even a cohesive thought going on in this.  do you have any thoughts that are not comprised of derogatory distain?

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, transient said:

Poyer... damn that auto-spell checker

Edited by cage

1 hour ago, transient said:

Among other things, one of the issues with the tedious McBeane almalgam is the “tenure” isn’t exactly the same. I’d be surprised if McDermott had no input into their signings, but fair point. 

I’ve been tougher on McDermott than most but I give the guy his due with finding d backs.  It’s definitely his talent.

here’s a crazy fact: good players cost money.  The Bills don’t have many good players right now.  Say if somehow Harrison Phillips (who I love) reaches the level Dareus did in 2014, he’s going to cost a lot of money.  So is Tre White.  So is Edmunds.

i get we made the playoffs for the first time in forever.  Personally, I think we just got lucky with Dick Jauron football.  It’s great but this roster isn’t very good.  I feel like trust the process is a way to buy yourself a lot of time when you aren’t very good.  

And while we overthink this, it basically all comes down to Allen.  I’m not a big fan of the pick,  but if turns into a franchise qb, the Bills will be in a great shape with a cheap qb for a few years.  If not, they are both getting fired.

2 hours ago, Epstein's Mother said:

The Bills have been consistently hard against the cap over the last few years while not paying franchise QB money.  That's not good cap management.  I believe Beane has done a fantastic job of fixing the past cap problems while positioning the Bills to be a playoff contender for a long time.

He was smart to take all the hits now, when it was affordable to do so. I think most successful teams have an idea of cap spending by position and Beane will stay with that structure as well as possible. You expect to pay a lot for tackles, QB's , WR and pass rushers... I don't think he likes paying a RB as much as McCoy gets but he's a special player and we can afford him. We'll have great flexibility in the next few years and will have the resources to make the big move if we are 1 player away.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Mango said:

....uh and I stand corrected on that.... when you think back on it, its amazing that they let Whaley run most of the off-season last year; free agency and draft, when they were intending to can him.

2 minutes ago, cage said:

....uh and I stand corrected on that.... when you think back on it, its amazing that they let Whaley run most of the off-season last year; free agency and draft, when they were intending to can him.

...MORE important thing is that they're in "the house"......kudos to Whaley for finding them and ditto for McBeane/McD keeping them.....

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

I hope not. They'll have to pay for a QB hopefully sooner than later and they'll need to re-sign their own.  I think that they have a nice core group of yute. To keep that core you have to pay it.  They'll certainly be money for FA, but hopefully we aren't so desperate that a Star-like contract is necessary to attract JAG.

Yes, I think they'll approach the cap that way.  I think Star's contract is the only time they really "over-paid) for a guy from another team.  Almost all their other FA contracts seem like a really good deal (at the time).  They've definitely spent money on our existing roster like extra bonuses for Shady (when they didn't have to), Woods restructure, and I think there's been some others.

14 hours ago, liverpoolkev said:

besides that , you are stoked for the season ?