Underrated aspect of McBeane Tenure: Managing the Cap

For the most part, we have focused on the specific player acquisitions - but an underrated aspect of the McBeane decision making regarding the roster has been the willingness to take salary cap related lumps now for future cap relief.

After the Dareus, Tyrod and Glenn trades and the Wood retirement, the Bills have  among the more healthy cap situations in the league. Of course a major consequence of that is the 2018 roster, which is likely the cheapest in the NFL. I mean, with 40+ mill in dead cap tied to these 4 players - we are the Oakland A's version of NFL Moneyball. Of course it helps to have underpaid QBs.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Totally agree, we've been very efficient with spending for the most part.  I think most of that has been out of necessity though.  It will be interesting to see what happens once they get past the dead cap of another staff's players.  We might be seeing a lot more like Star's contract.

Yep, in my opinion it just goes to show the faith & trust in the process we have from the owners on down. Theyre making decisions with the long term in view, as opposed to what we have been doing the past 20 some odd years. While the success of our Bills in 2018  is up in the air, 2019 & beyond should be pretty freaking exciting with how much cap space we'll have. We can actually go after some prime time free agents. T.O. in 2019 anyone?

GO BILLS!

14 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

Yep, in my opinion it just goes to show the faith & trust in the process we have from the owners on down. Theyre making decisions with the long term in view, as opposed to what we have been doing the past 20 some odd years. While the success of our Bills in 2018  is up in the air, 2019 & beyond should be pretty freaking exciting with how much cap space we'll have. We can actually go after some prime time free agents. T.O. in 2019 anyone?

GO BILLS!

is this mcbeane relative......stop with the smoke he hasn't  picked up anyone of substance unless you want to include our TE I mean wr Benjamin …..its easy to shed salary its hard to pick up talent …..unless you think giving chubby from carolina  50 mill for nothing, since he cant rush the passer, was a good thing …….they will both be fired in two years when their qb becomes another billy joe Hobert or jp losman    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, liverpoolkev said:

is this mcbeane relative......stop with the smoke he hasn't  picked up anyone of substance unless you want to include our TE I mean wr Benjamin …..its easy to shed salary its hard to pick up talent …..unless you think giving chubby from carolina  50 mill for nothing, since he cant rush the passer, was a good thing …….they will both be fired in two years when their qb becomes another billy joe Hobert or jp losman    

Not to stereotype because there are great people from this area also, but my guess is Toxteth.

• Haha (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, liverpoolkev said:

Wow, if you're so down on the Bills why even be here lol? Beane hasnt brought in anyone of substance? Do we really need to list all the players? Perhaps doing a google search for our team roster might help, since in the short time he's been here our whole roster has turned over. All while shedding the past bloated contracts & crafting a talented enough roster to here's where i cough... to where we MAKE THE PLAYOFFS!

And yeah 50 mil for Star is alot of money, especially when he's not a flashy pass rusher to put up a lot of sacks. But what he will do is occupy the opponents offensive line, allowing our new mobile linebacking crew to go ham. We were spending more on Dareus & dude wasnt even there, so for me its an upgrade. As far as JP or BJH, Josh Allen doesnt appear to be anything like those guys, but from what it sounds like you'll be rooting for him to.

I know it was a long drought but so far so good with McBeane & Co. Sure we have a ways to go but i think they've done more positive things than negative. And considering where our franchise has been, that was no easy task. I for one think theres reason to be optimistic. So GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

57 minutes ago, liverpoolkev said:

Hey. Sorry I missed your entry onto the forum. Let me say a belated welcome Doug Whaley.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, liverpoolkev said:

You're right, what are they waiting for?  McDermott has had two off seasons and Beane was brought in after last years draft - you'd think they would be completely done building the team by now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Tbh, I don't think that it has been an especially great achievement. You just move the big money guys who you don't think will play a part going forward. Drafting Dawkins, and Glenn's ongoing fitness issues, gave them one good 'out' in respect of Glenn, but Dawkins was found by Whaley's staff. I'd say also that as he was the 'new broom', Beane had the freedom to move players, not only from not having any attachment to them, but also, to an extent, when it came to making the deals, as other teams would be aware that we might decide to move on from certain players, and not necessarily because they were bad, but due to 'fit'.

Now, I don't necessarily agree with all the moves made, we shed a lot of talent with trades etc., but I do think something had to give in respect of the cap moving on down the line. We will have a good situation for next season, but that money needs to be invested wisely - either in our own to get extensions done at decent rates, or in the FA market, for someone who is going to come in and perform.

I don't really think Beane has excelled in respect of creating more cap room for next year, as the majority of this board could have said which guys to move on to get to that stage. I will give him credit for actually getting generally decent returns, for when those moves were made. Now that was an achievement.

• Like (+1) 2

I feel he has not only created space with people not in their vision for the future, but in addition, he and McD have. Picked up a number of role players people never thought would produce well like Poyer.  Their drafts seem to be solid, but as always. Only time will tell.

im very happy with this regime and the silliness of suggesting they will both be fired in two years is ridiculous.  Anyone see that that playoff game last year in their first year when they purged Darby, Dareus, Glenn and so on.  They didn’t fit into these guys scheme.

......it's just simply too soon to properly access these two yet. Even after this season, it might seem clearer but still a bit premature.

After the 2019 season is when they come into full focus as to how they've progressed as a GM/HC tandem.

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Like (+1) 1

Easy to be good with the cap when you are in the clearing out phase. The challenge of Beane as a cap manager will come next offseason when they are trying to add talent to build a genuinely contending football team. The only relative "name" free agents they have brought in over two offseasons are Micah Hyde (good contract) and Star (slightly overpaid). 

Next years FA should be very interesting. I think we have around $90million next year to spend on FA. 

We we have a QB on a rookie salary and a lot money to build around him. Chicago did the same with Tribiski this offseason. 

6 hours ago, White Linen said:

You're right, what are they waiting for?  McDermott has had two off seasons and Beane was brought in after last years draft - you'd think they would be completely done building the team by now.

....LMAO!....sounds like he's sitting down to his morning ritual of soggy Wheaties........AGAIN...........

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Steve Billieve said:

Totally agree, we've been very efficient with spending for the most part.  I think most of that has been out of necessity though.  It will be interesting to see what happens once they get past the dead cap of another staff's players.  We might be seeing a lot more like Star's contract.

I hope not. They'll have to pay for a QB hopefully sooner than later and they'll need to re-sign their own.  I think that they have a nice core group of yute. To keep that core you have to pay it.  They'll certainly be money for FA, but hopefully we aren't so desperate that a Star-like contract is necessary to attract JAG.

8 hours ago, liverpoolkev said:

Hyde and Power don't count because....??

25 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I hope not. They'll have to pay for a QB hopefully sooner than later and they'll need to re-sign their own.  I think that they have a nice core group of yute. To keep that core you have to pay it.  They'll certainly be money for FA, but hopefully we aren't so desperate that a Star-like contract is necessary to attract JAG.

....think you're correct.....Star probably does not happen without previous connection......don't see McBeane being a "big splash FA guy" versus being a smart shopper.......

8 hours ago, liverpoolkev said:

200w.gif

• Haha (+1) 4