Bills have 16th Best Roster?

PFF grades the Bills roster as the 16th best in the NFL.  

It seems a little high given that we lack an established QB, have new starters on the OL, and a lot of questions at WR.  Curiously, PFF only talks about our defensive concerns.  

I'm wondering how others would rank us?

Biggest strength: Tre'Davious White is one of the league's best young cornerbacks, and he took home our Rookie of the Year award in 2017. White ranked second among all cornerbacks with a 92.0 grade and led the position with 1,093 defensive snaps, finishing 14 of 17 games (including the playoffs) with a grade of at least 70.0.

Biggest weakness: The Bills have a handful of issues on their roster, but their biggest is with the cornerbacks after White. Phillip Gaines ranked 119th last season with a 35.9 grade, which was actually a slight improvement over the 34.8 he posted in 2016. Vontae Davis, who was released by the Colts midseason, was just ahead of him with a 45.2 grade, his second consecutive season in the 40s.

By the numbers: Buffalo's defense ranked last in the NFL in 2017, generating pressure on just 29 percent of opponents' passing plays. The Bills are hoping that Trent Murphy -- who still hasn't been fully cleared after tearing his ACL last August -- can bring some life to the pass rush after signing him away from Washington this offseason. Murphy ranked 10th among 3-4 outside linebackers in 2016 with an 11.8 pass-rushing productivity rating, and he ranked 11th with 55 total pressures; Jerry Hughes -- Buffalo's most productive pass-rusher of late -- has averaged 47.5 pressures over the past two seasons.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/06/pff_ranks_2018_nfl_rosters_where_do_buffalo_bills_land.html

Edited by hondo in seattle

This is probably a little higher than most would rate, but it’s nice to see something that’s not doom and gloom at this point.  

To be honest, I think this roster is pretty bad on offense, but believe the defense can keep us in games for sure.  However, I’m not even upset about it.  Ending the drought last year helps me view this year as a throw away year, which I’m ok with.  If we go 5-11, I won’t like it, but I’ll be in a much better mood about it than I would have been if the drought was still adding up.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

The rating seems a bit high.  McCoy and the safeties give us a big boost.  But the offensive line is scary, until they prove otherwise.  And the passing game?????

I agree; it seems about right, but a bit high.

Passing game, OL, Pass rush, CBs not named White..are all concerns.

5 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

The rating seems a bit high.  McCoy and the safeties give us a big boost.  But the offensive line is scary, until they prove otherwise.  And the passing game?????

....specifically at 16?...agree...but somewhere below 20 with all of the newness and uncertainty.........but does it really matter anyway?......."under the radar" at 26 works just fine for me.....

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

It seems a little high given that we lack an established QB, have new starters on the OL, and a lot of questions at WR.  Curiously, PFF only talks about our defensive concerns.  

Biggest strength: Tre'Davious White is one of the league's best young cornerbacks, and he took home our Rookie of the Year award in 2017. White ranked second among all cornerbacks with a 92.0 grade and led the position with 1,093 defensive snaps, finishing 14 of 17 games (including the playoffs) with a grade of at least 70.0.

Biggest weakness: The Bills have a handful of issues on their roster, but their biggest is with the cornerbacks after White. Phillip Gaines ranked 119th last season with a 35.9 grade, which was actually a slight improvement over the 34.8 he posted in 2016. Vontae Davis, who was released by the Colts midseason, was just ahead of him with a 45.2 grade, his second consecutive season in the 40s.

By the numbers: Buffalo's defense ranked last in the NFL in 2017, generating pressure on just 29 percent of opponents' passing plays. The Bills are hoping that Trent Murphy -- who still hasn't been fully cleared after tearing his ACL last August -- can bring some life to the pass rush after signing him away from Washington this offseason. Murphy ranked 10th among 3-4 outside linebackers in 2016 with an 11.8 pass-rushing productivity rating, and he ranked 11th with 55 total pressures; Jerry Hughes -- Buffalo's most productive pass-rusher of late -- has averaged 47.5 pressures over the past two seasons.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/06/pff_ranks_2018_nfl_rosters_where_do_buffalo_bills_land.html

That good huh ? surprised.

40 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Are you sure it wasn't 16th in the AFC?

AFC east you mean ?

7 hours ago, billsfan5121 said:

This is probably a little higher than most would rate, but it’s nice to see something that’s not doom and gloom at this point.  

To be honest, I think this roster is pretty bad on offense, but believe the defense can keep us in games for sure.  However, I’m not even upset about it.  Ending the drought last year helps me view this year as a throw away year, which I’m ok with.  If we go 5-11, I won’t like it, but I’ll be in a much better mood about it than I would have been if the drought was still adding up.  

Maybe the rest of the league is really bad this year.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

upstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/06/pff_ranks_2018_nfl_rosters_where_do_buffalo_bills_land.html

man, i cannot believe the negativity of fans here is worse than that of fans nationwide. we were 31st in passing yds. last year, 14 yds ahead of no. 32 da bears.

there's no way the bolded doesn't dramatically improve and with the additions of horrible harry, star and edmunds, tfls will skyrocket. i can see zo having a career year running unblocked.  our secondary should probably need to wear earplugs to keep the gravy from oozin out.

i also believe that either a.j. or nate can get us to a wc. i am predicting being a 100yds either side of 4k. for all the doom and gloom about wrs., come on....at some point we have to develop guys that weren't a household name out of college and i am sure there will be some gems surfacing.( ie. stevie j.)  i was thinking of starting a discussion about the final corp,

i think we will also find an oline to gel and i pray to God it's before the end the first game. shady will be fine. hopefully cadet takes more of a mike gillislee role.

bottom line is...WE WILL NOT GO BACKWARDS. 2019 is when we can replicate the eagles. oops i think i screwed up bolding the last paragraph.

Edited by billsredneck1

Very generous ranking. If we were in the square in the middle of all rosters, so many "experts" wouldn't be projecting us to be in the top 3 picks of the draft next year.

But hey, if having a better roster than 50% of teams equals to us somehow winning 50% of our games too, I'll consider that a win.

• Like (+1) 2

Media:  Bills have dearth of talent and one of the worst rosters in the league

Fans:  They're underrating us; our roster is decent

Media:  Bills have 16th best roster in the league

Fans:  They're overrating us; we have a crappy roster

Like the sun rising and setting, fans on this board are so predictable.

• Like (+1) 2

I agree we're ranked too high, but:

1. Next year our cap space will allow us to sign considerable talent, so our ranking should be higher.

2. If Allen turns out better than many have predicted, that ranking also goes up considerably.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

1. Next year our cap space will allow us to sign considerable talent, so our ranking should be higher.

2. If Allen turns out better than many have predicted, that ranking also goes up considerably.

If Allen turns out to be the real deal (IF, I said), we’re knocking on the top 10 as it makes everybody better. Keep the D resting off the field, room for the run game, etc. is the rising tide that makes every player look a little better. 

But it’s a big IF. I’ll be patient and wait to see how it turns out. He’ll need a decent OLine even if he is the real deal. 

36 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

You are 100% correct in my book. This year could be 6-10 or 10-6. Who knows? I think Vegas is very confused by the Bills like we all are.

Edmunds, Allen and Phillips could all be studs or duds. All are positions of need, which makes things interesting.

It's not all doom and gloom, and next year's F/A and draft should cement the Bills as a long time playoff team if even one of the three above pan out. The OL turnover was a shock to all, but I think the Bills added a bunch of JAG NFL level talent, which given the salary cap and weak class was a strong reaction. It also meant the OL will have to be addressed sooner than later, which actually helps AJ and Allen in the long term.

I think a lot of us Bill fans are ok either way. We see change happening and in a well planned way overall.

Last year was the beginning of a major tear down and rebuild. The Bills have refused a tear down and rebuild since 1985, it was long past due.

The fact that a rookie HC, and a GM added after last years draft managed to tear down a team, built a new locker room atmosphere and broke a 17 yr playoff drought in one year means something.

We have a very special HC IMO. I think this may be the best HC and GM combo Buffalo has ever had.