Nate Peterman 2017 All-22 Analysis by BR

4 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Heres the thing I don't understand with the fascination with Peterman. He was horrendous last season, not bad, horrendous. He completed like 6 good passes.

Meanwhile, Jeff Tuel who also started one game (against an 8-0 team btw) and completed 18-39 passes for 229 yards a touchdown and only 2 INTs is universally regarded as a horrible player

Everyone wants to keep making excuses for him. The line didnt block, it was a good pass rushing team. Nope, he just flat out failed. Its such a common tale that 5th round pick that I cant believe its still discussed 

Boom!!!

Great post! :thumbsup:

I'm not even saying Peterman won't develop into a legitimate starting QB, but it's head-scratching the way some are talking about him like he already is one.

I just think if Peterman starts this year, which he might, all of the SaviorPeterman's of this board should be prepared to see a QB with most of the same weaknesses, flashing good maybe a little more than last year, but benched by mid season. I definitely wouldn't root for that if he's named starter, but it's just what likely will happen.

People are talking about Peterman like he's going to be our Frank Reich for the next decade or so. Talk about a massively premature statement, not to mention a huge slap in the face to the guy who engineered the greatest comeback in NFL history. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/28/2018 at 6:01 PM, Boca BIlls said:

The one guy who will never start gets so much attention. 

The backup QB that has never played is always the most popular guy on the team.  It's as old as the forward pass. Probably older actually.

On 6/28/2018 at 6:42 PM, Steptide said:

I don't think him starting is that far fetched either. If McCarron isn't good and Allen isn't ready, Peterman is our best hope. I've said it before, and as ridiculous as it may sound, Peterman is the most nfl proven qb we have on our roster. 

This would be a HUGE FAIL by McDermott and Beane if this were to happen.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

The backup QB that has never played is always the most popular guy on the team.  It's as old as the forward pass. Probably older actually.

This would be a HUGE FAIL by McDermott and Beane if this were to happen.

Huge fail? How so? We have 3 unproven qbs on our roster. There is no guarantee McCarron is any good and no guarantee that allen will start this year. At the end of the day, if Peterman is our best chance to win, then play him 

Edited by Steptide

48 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Huge fail? How so? We have 3 unproven qbs on our roster. There is no guarantee McCarron is any good and no guarantee that allen will start this year. At the end of the day, if Peterman is our best chance to win, then play him 

YeS, HUGE FAIL if that's the best we got to trot out there.  Beane's job is to have quality NFL starting talent at every position. If Nasty Nate's the best we got, it's a fail IMHO.  Like last year, this is NOT a tank year. We're trying to win.  

34 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

YeS, HUGE FAIL if that's the best we got to trot out there.  Beane's job is to have quality NFL starting talent at every position. If Nasty Nate's the best we got, it's a fail IMHO.  Like last year, this is NOT a tank year. We're trying to win.  

....well, at least you said "humble"....SMH......knowing the that draft & FA are ABSOLUTELY exact sciences, I'm sure he's trying like hell to lose.....TC cannot get here soon enough...good Lord.........

5 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Of course he isn't trying to lose.  Neither were Whaley or Donahoe.  They just weren't good enough at their jobs. Here's hoping Beane is.  So far so good IMHO.

....I CERTAINLY feel much better about your closing assessment.....thought for a moment you were a "doom 'n gloom" guy when we're just getting started....my apology.....:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....I CERTAINLY feel much better about your closing assessment.....thought for a moment you were a "doom 'n gloom" guy when we're just getting started....my apology.....:thumbsup:

I'm glad you're feeling better! :)

I just want to win.  I thought we had a pretty good QB last year that we could and did win with.  I have ZERO interest in going backwards at all.  Hopefully we don't  although it is FAR from guaranteed.

But whoever lines up under center on 9/9 will  have my 100% support just like Nasty Nate and Joe Webb III had last year when they played.

It’s stupid to write off any qb too early, but it’s kinda amazing how much hype Peterman gets.  He was fairly good but nothing great in college and doesn’t have any elite physical skills.  His best quality was he was the most “pro ready” of any of the qbs and we all saw how that went.

i think the guy is a 3rd string qb but he certainly deserves a chance to prove me wrong.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

I'm glad you're feeling better! :)

I just want to win.  I thought we had a pretty good QB last year that we could and did win with.  I have ZERO interest in going backwards at all.  Hopefully we don't  although it is FAR from guaranteed.

But whoever lines up under center on 9/9 will  have my 100% support just like Nasty Nate and Joe Webb III had last year when they played.

Whoever lines up under center for the 1st 4 games is going to have a tough ride.

I hope he can hang on!

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Whoever lines up under center for the 1st 4 games is going to have a tough ride.

I hope he can hang on!

Why?

Because of who we play?

First of all, no one really knows if the Ravens, Chargers, Vikings and Packers are all really going to be that good. We play this game every year:

"Well that's a Loss!!!"

I'm tired of that game. Remember the 2-0 Big Bad Broncos last year? Or the 3-0  Frightening Super Bowl runner-up Falcons with the reigning league MVP the very next week? Or the Cardinals in 2016 in week 3 coming off a week 2 thrashing of the Bucs? Or the 3-0 and rolling Patriots the following week in Foxborough? Or week 1 in 2015 against the AFC conference runner up Colts and their all-world QB Andrew Luck?

This game of circling Ws and Ls is silly. No game in the NFL is a gimme. No game in the NFL is an automatic Loss. 

The Bills will come to play in those games, and one thing I will argue could be a benefit rather than a detriment for those first 4 weeks is having a QB under center with very little game tape for the opposition to study, especially if Allen becomes the starter--being an unknown will be a bit of help to start the season for whoever McDermott chooses at QB.

13 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Why?

Because of who we play?

First of all, no one really knows if the Ravens, Chargers, Vikings and Packers are all really going to be that good. We play this game every year:

"Well that's a Loss!!!"

I'm tired of that game. Remember the 2-0 Big Bad Broncos last year? Or the 3-0  Frightening Super Bowl runner-up Falcons with the reigning league MVP the very next week? Or the Cardinals in 2016 in week 3 coming off a week 2 thrashing of the Bucs? Or the 3-0 and rolling Patriots the following week in Foxborough? Or week 1 in 2015 against the AFC conference runner up Colts and their all-world QB Andrew Luck?

This game of circling Ws and Ls is silly. No game in the NFL is a gimme. No game in the NFL is an automatic Loss. 

The Bills will come to play in those games, and one thing I will argue could be a benefit rather than a detriment for those first 4 weeks is having a QB under center with very little game tape for the opposition to study, especially if Allen becomes the starter--being an unknown will be a bit of help to start the season for whoever McDermott chooses at QB.

I didn't say anything about wins and losses.  I commented on the Bill's QB (whoever he is) having to go against some of the best D's in the

league right out of the gate and hoping whoever is starting can overcome it.

Chillax 

13 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I didn't say anything about wins and losses.  I commented on the Bill's QB (whoever he is) having to go against some of the best D's in the

league right out of the gate and hoping whoever is starting can overcome it.

Chillax 

Good luck with that 

• Haha (+1) 2

On 6/29/2018 at 12:25 PM, matter2003 said:

It wont be entertaining it will be scientific.

The main way is by building core strength/lower body strength. It has little to nothing to do with the arm. The amount of torque and force generated by your lower body far exceeds anything you could come close to producing with just your arm alone or even with your upper body. Muscles in the legs, glutes and core produce far more force when utilized properly than any muscle group in the upper body.

But that doesn't start at the hips it starts at the foot level and travels up the posterior chain, to the hips where the kinetic energy gets transferred into a "whiplike" motion when you properly torque your hips. This is the basis for all power with any throws.

Increase the strength of the posterior chain, the flexibility and strength of the hip flexors and all the little muscles in that area that relate to torquing your hips with more force and you increase your "arm strength" by orders of magnitude.

You aren't even in the same area code with your thinking as you are referring to upper body work which will give negligible results to improving arm strength.

Watch Tom Brady throw...he is the master of the hip torque throw...in fact he has gotten so good at this he can at times simply torque his hips by just shifting his weight without even taking a step and generate sufficient force to throw a ball on a rope 20 yards down field. Try doing that with just arm strength.

And it doesnt take a genius to know that most people can improve their lower body strength. Just go to any gym and count the percentage of guys with reasonably proportioned lower bodies in relation to their upper bodies. Its under 5%. Considering that most QBs do little to no weight work in college and there is tons of room to improve.

And this doesnt even get into the actual technique of how to do this properly which is paid attention to at a much closer level in the NFL than in college.

I think we are on the same page overall in what goes into throwing the football.  The point I was trying to make is that on the margin,  weight room work won't make that much of a difference since very few QBs have perfect mechanics.  Improving the mechanics will have more impact someone like Peterman  compared to having him lift more weights whether it is for his lower body , torso,  or arms.  Optimum  timing of when each muscle/ body part is activated when throwing is a lot more key then having bigger muscles.  

Is there an QB in the NFL that substantially upped his game to another level because he spent many many hours bulking up in the weight room?   Unless some high prospect had the muscle tone of Urkel,  I don't think many NFL QBs have a need to go beyond regular conditioning regimens?

2 hours ago, prissythecat said:

I think we are on the same page overall in what goes into throwing the football.  The point I was trying to make is that on the margin,  weight room work won't make that much of a difference since very few QBs have perfect mechanics.  Improving the mechanics will have more impact someone like Peterman  compared to having him lift more weights whether it is for his lower body , torso,  or arms.  Optimum  timing of when each muscle/ body part is activated when throwing is a lot more key then having bigger muscles.  

Is there an QB in the NFL that substantially upped his game to another level because he spent many many hours bulking up in the weight room?   Unless some high prospect had the muscle tone of Urkel,  I don't think many NFL QBs have a need to go beyond regular conditioning regimens?

Agree. I do think that a NFL strength and conditioning program should benefit a guy like Peterman although given the position any increase in core strength cannot come at the expense of flexibility. But I also think that proper mechanics are more likely to influence velocity (and accuracy). And based on what little I've seen of him Peterman's mechanics could do with some work for sure. The (post) season ending pick in Jax was a good example. Fully front facing the target and pushing off his front foot. C'mon man.

I suspect that with work Peterman can get to where a lack of arm strength will not be the reason he fails if indeed he does fail. Maybe it just means that he should avoid attempting the sorts of throws that can require raw arm strength independently of ideal mechanics, like the out to Thompson. To me that's a tough assignment to execute with perfect lower body positioning/mechanics. If the technique is slightly off, as I think it often is, then you are a lot better off if you are Josh Allen than if you are NP.

On the other hand, it's not like Peterman was lining up under centre. He was in the gun, and so I do understand why that throw raises legitimate concerns regarding arm strength. We will all see soon enuf whether he has been able to improve.

Edited by starrymessenger

1 hour ago, starrymessenger said:

Agree. I do think that a NFL strength and conditioning program should benefit a guy like Peterman although given the position any increase in core strength cannot come at the expense of flexibility. But I also think that proper mechanics are more likely to influence velocity (and accuracy). And based on what little I've seen of him Peterman's mechanics could do with some work for sure. The (post) season ending pick in Jax was a good example. Fully front facing the target and pushing off his front foot. C'mon man.

I suspect that with work Peterman can get to where a lack of arm strength will not be the reason he fails if indeed he does fail. Maybe it just means that he should avoid attempting the sorts of throws that can require raw arm strength independently of ideal mechanics, like the out to Thompson. To me that's a tough assignment to execute with perfect lower body positioning/mechanics. If the technique is slightly off, as I think it often is, then you are a lot better off if you are Josh Allen than if you are NP.

On the other hand, it's not like Peterman was lining up under centre. He was in the gun, and so I do understand why that throw raises legitimate concerns regarding arm strength. We will all see soon enuf whether he has been able to improve.

So in order for Peterman to be successful, he shouldn't attempt out routes? 

If he can't execute all the throws, why is he on the roster?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

So in order for Peterman to be successful, he shouldn't attempt out routes? 

If he can't execute all the throws, why is he on the roster?

Right now I wouldn't bet on him making the deep out (certainly not to the opposite hash). I agree the shallow/intermediate out (as in Jax) is a throw he needs to make. I think maybe he can get there since I feel the lack of velocity on that particular throw was more poor mechanics than anything else. 

As for having to make all the throws, I'm not sure I agree. He needs to make the higher percentage throws with regularity and he needs to be able to credibly challenge a secondary on occasion. There have been some good QBs with something less than ideal arm strength and hence with something less than the complete repertoire of throws at their disposal.