Nate Peterman 2017 All-22 Analysis by BR

3 hours ago, Steptide said:

I don't think him starting is that far fetched either. If McCarron isn't good and Allen isn't ready, Peterman is our best hope. I've said it before, and as ridiculous as it may sound, Peterman is the most nfl proven qb we have on our roster. 

Nathan Peterman might of been showing something behind the scenes before they decided to start him. I at least myself believe it played a role. That is why I don't count him out. 

Very much like Tyrod, if you have a guy that has special qualities it will intrigue you some to want to know if it works if you give it some time to grow. 

The problem is that 5 interception game is the label he must live with. Until he proves different he has an uphill battle to change perceptions. He might develop himself and become better. 

Edited by Lfod

5 hours ago, Lfod said:

What the team has at QB is some potential, a hope and dream. You got a vet that's been a back up. You got a rookie that crashed on the first test run. You have a high draft pick that hasn't been NFL tested yet. 

I'm thinking it doesn't matter who gets the start because I'm thinking there will be struggles regulardless. You have a new OC and system. You have Shady Mcoy. 

I am open minded, but I don't think it's all going to be put together and working by the first game. So I hope one of the QBs can come in and start overcoming the hurdles. 

I think McDermott can surprise because he is a detailed guy. So I'm not writing anything off. I'm hoping Daboll is a wizard and not a huckster. 

All we've had for the last 2 decades at QB is some potential... this offseason we've just invested a lot more in that potential than we ever have. And I'm not just talking about money.

Dabol is about as critical an acquisition this offseason as our investment in the QB position was because investing in Dabol is telling him he's responsible for developing our youth at the position; yes a little of Peterman but a lot of Allen.

I hope Dabol is a wizard, too, or closer to that than a huckster... if he is, I think we have really good reason to be excited about the 2018 season, no matter who starts at QB.

4 hours ago, Steptide said:

I don't think him starting is that far fetched either. If McCarron isn't good and Allen isn't ready, Peterman is our best hope. I've said it before, and as ridiculous as it may sound, Peterman is the most nfl proven qb we have on our roster.

It sounds ridiculous because it is ridiculous.

AJ McCarron is the most NFL proven QB, by far.

Obviously.

5 hours ago, Steptide said:

Proven not to be good. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Augie said:

ME?

I thought I was pretty much under the radar! 

We have no clue at this point....but we have so much time to ponder. It’s that time of year, but it seems tougher when it’s thw QB that is the big question mark. 

Josh Allen is really the only QB that matters. If any of the others start then it means we have a real problem at QB and will be looking for a new one sooner than later.

This place is gonna go bat guano crazy if Peterman is the starter come season opener. It's too bad the kid couldn't come along slowly like the tail end of a blowout or maybe against a lesser team. Starting against San Diego for a debut was questionable and was considered insulting by many of their players with a healthy Tyrod available. DiMarco and Mills didn't do him any favors either. I don't think he's anywhere near as bad as the SD game but don't think he's franchise material either. Hopefully he can be the Reich to Allen's Kelly.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m one of the last people to defend Peterman. I think that he sucks. With that being said, do we really need an All-22 to pile on? He was atrocious last year. All accounts say that he’s improved. Let’s see what happens...

You are an inspiring example that no one is irredeemable. ?

There will be more than enough material to evaluate Peterman when camp and the preseason starts. Those hardened critics who are looking back to last year when judging him this year are not only being foolish but also being silly. In my mind Peterman is not a starting caliber qb in this league. That is not to say that it is inconceivable that he earns a starting job for the short term. He reminds me of Frank Reich. There is a role for him on this team.  

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Arm strength can be and usually is improved quite a bit through weight training their first year or two.

I 'm sure Nate can easily make his  biceps, triceps, delts, etc bigger by spending time in the weight room.  But what does that have to do with how much zip he has in his throws?  That's a mechanics problem .   Why do non physical specimens like Ryan Mallet or Jay Cutler have canon arms, while a gym rat like  Brady Quinn have pop guns?     Its not because of time in the weight room... 

Edited by prissythecat

2 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

I 'm sure Nate can easily make his  biceps, triceps, delts, etc bigger by spending time in the weight room.  But what does that have to do with how much zip he has in his throws?  That's a mechanics problem .   Why do non physical specimens like Ryan Mallet or Jay Cutler have canon arms?     Its not because of time in the weight room... 

Nah, you just clearly dont understand how arm strength is generated then.

59 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Please do enlighten us then.  This should be entertaining

It wont be entertaining it will be scientific.

The main way is by building core strength/lower body strength. It has little to nothing to do with the arm. The amount of torque and force generated by your lower body far exceeds anything you could come close to producing with just your arm alone or even with your upper body. Muscles in the legs, glutes and core produce far more force when utilized properly than any muscle group in the upper body.

But that doesn't start at the hips it starts at the foot level and travels up the posterior chain, to the hips where the kinetic energy gets transferred into a "whiplike" motion when you properly torque your hips. This is the basis for all power with any throws.

Increase the strength of the posterior chain, the flexibility and strength of the hip flexors and all the little muscles in that area that relate to torquing your hips with more force and you increase your "arm strength" by orders of magnitude.

You aren't even in the same area code with your thinking as you are referring to upper body work which will give negligible results to improving arm strength.

Watch Tom Brady throw...he is the master of the hip torque throw...in fact he has gotten so good at this he can at times simply torque his hips by just shifting his weight without even taking a step and generate sufficient force to throw a ball on a rope 20 yards down field. Try doing that with just arm strength.

And it doesnt take a genius to know that most people can improve their lower body strength. Just go to any gym and count the percentage of guys with reasonably proportioned lower bodies in relation to their upper bodies. Its under 5%. Considering that most QBs do little to no weight work in college and there is tons of room to improve.

And this doesnt even get into the actual technique of how to do this properly which is paid attention to at a much closer level in the NFL than in college.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2