Do you buy organic food?

Another Fan

6 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

A Whole Foods is opening up nearby where I live.  Have never actually shopped there.

Kinda seems it’s overpriced stuff anyway.  

The cost is higher to produce most organic foods such as milk and meat so that is reflected in the selling price at the store.  To answer the question no I do not and is in large part that I have a set budget for groceries which is difficult to meet buying conventional products.  I could flex my budget a little but I have a rule that 5-10 percent of my spending is on stuff I will use a few months in to the future versus the coming week.  Soup has come down a little so I am buying a can or two intended for use during cold weather.  I buy very little in terms of processed foods and will buy potatoes this week with the intent of making potato salad. Probably said more than most here want to know about.

• Like (+1) 1

I used to be pretty anti whole foods, considered it overpriced and unnecessary....I've actually found that compared to wegmans, it really isn't that much more expensive, AND it's not all organic.  I am now waiting to see what kind of prime discount i can get there.  I have become a Whole Foods convert

14 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

A Whole Foods is opening up nearby where I live.  Have never actually shopped there.

Kinda seems it’s overpriced stuff anyway.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I used to be pretty anti whole foods, considered it overpriced and unnecessary....I've actually found that compared to wegmans, it really isn't that much more expensive, AND it's not all organic.  I am now waiting to see what kind of prime discount i can get there.  I have become a Whole Foods convert

I usually only go to WF for things I can’t get elsewhere. It’s not as convenient to me, and the “Whole Paycheck” reputation didn’t help. Having said that, I have come to realize they often have some things cheaper than the Publix near me.  I need to re-think, but convenience is still a factor. 

A new 365 (WF house brand? Like Costco and Kirkland?) is opening closer to us, but I don’t really know what thats all about yet. 

• Like (+1) 1

There are two (somewhat related) topics here: organic foods and Whole Foods

Working in the food industry, and going through a lot of academic research, I can say that there is no study I could find that could conclude that organic food is more nutritious, safer, or tastes better than conventional foodstuffs when you go through double blind tests (neither the tester, or testee knows which is which during the test). That said, there is botanical work that suggests that organics in the store taste better because they aren't being grown for volume, as nutrients and flavor compounds are more densely compacted. Most megacorp-argiculture prioritizes size and speed of growth, so it can taste watered down. But it's not the "organic" quality that likely does it: it's freshness, and being picked at a smaller size that seems to give more flavor. If you can, roadside stands and farmers markets are the best way to go.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't do anything for any other type of foodstuff.

As for Whole Foods, I think they are a bit overpriced compared to Wegmans without a resulting increase in quality. They also range a lot depending on the store. The one that used to be by me had a great fish section and a better bakery, but was subpar to Wegmans in a bunch of areas. I'm not a fan, but I hear there are better ones in ritzier areas.

• Like (+1) 2

I don't.  

Only organic I use is stuff for my lawn.  I make my own weed killer and I use natural fertilizer with zero chemicals. 

This is what's in my organic fertilizer:

What is Milorganite

Milorganite is composed of heat-dried microbes that have digested the organic material in wastewater. It's manufactured by the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District, which captures waste water from the metropolitan Milwaukee area and uses naturally occurring microbes to digest the nutrients. After the organic matter has been consumed, the cleaned water is returned to Lake Michigan and the resulting material is dried and marketed as Milorganite.

Is it poop in a bag?

No. It’s been a common misconception that Milorganite is “poop in a bag.” Milorganite is composed of microbes that have eaten well, died, and been dried. Microbes eat the organic material found in wastewater, die when they have nothing else to eat, and are heat-dried at temperatures up to 1200⁰F. Milorganite complies with all applicable federal and state requirements. It’s safe to use throughout your yard and garden when used as directed.

Yes - only because I have significant food allergies that robs the enjoyment of eating.  Dining out?  Forget it unless it's straight up meat on a grill with vegetables.  

Finding food items that do not have soy or tree nuts is difficult.  Whole Foods carries some.  

I buy as much as possible. Yes its more expensive, and i cant point to any study to confirm...but i just think there has to be something in the "regular" food supply that has given rise to food allergies and other conditions like ADD.

BTW, i am pretty damn sure Walmart and just about every single grocery store now carries all kind or organic produce. Only thing I do not buy consistently "organic" is beef.

Edited by plenzmd1

To help keep potassium levels up, I have to eat bananas.  Although slightly more in cost, the organic ones tend to be greener and do not overripen in the shopping cart, nor in the 20 minute ride home from the grocery store.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't.  

Only organic I use is stuff for my lawn.  I make my own weed killer and I use natural fertilizer with zero chemicals. 

This is what's in my organic fertilizer:

What is Milorganite

Milorganite is composed of heat-dried microbes that have digested the organic material in wastewater. It's manufactured by the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District, which captures waste water from the metropolitan Milwaukee area and uses naturally occurring microbes to digest the nutrients. After the organic matter has been consumed, the cleaned water is returned to Lake Michigan and the resulting material is dried and marketed as Milorganite.

Is it poop in a bag?

No. It’s been a common misconception that Milorganite is “poop in a bag.” Milorganite is composed of microbes that have eaten well, died, and been dried. Microbes eat the organic material found in wastewater, die when they have nothing else to eat, and are heat-dried at temperatures up to 1200⁰F. Milorganite complies with all applicable federal and state requirements. It’s safe to use throughout your yard and garden when used as directed.

And it's a great deer repellent as well!

57 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

No.  I insist that all my food be inorganic.

So like salt washed down with say....ammonia?  Yum!!

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

To help keep potassium levels up, I have to eat bananas.  Although slightly more in cost, the organic ones tend to be greener and do not ripen in the shopping cart, nor in the 20 minute ride home from the grocery store.

Interesting. I have a banana and skim milk for breakfast every morning, but this is news to me. I’ll give it a try. 

6 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

But it's not the "organic" quality that likely does it: it's freshness, and being picked at a smaller size that seems to give more flavor. If you can, roadside stands and farmers markets are the best way to go.

Or just being picked when it's ripe, which is why farmers markets are the place to get produce.  The difference between a strawberry or peach that was properly ripened on the vine verses what you generally get in the supermarket is huge.

But we do buy organic milk and certain other things to avoid the hormones, chemicals, etc. in the kids.

6 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

There are two (somewhat related) topics here: organic foods and Whole Foods

Working in the food industry, and going through a lot of academic research, I can say that there is no study I could find that could conclude that organic food is more nutritious, safer, or tastes better than conventional foodstuffs when you go through double blind tests (neither the tester, or testee knows which is which during the test). That said, there is botanical work that suggests that organics in the store taste better because they aren't being grown for volume, as nutrients and flavor compounds are more densely compacted. Most megacorp-argiculture prioritizes size and speed of growth, so it can taste watered down. But it's not the "organic" quality that likely does it: it's freshness, and being picked at a smaller size that seems to give more flavor. If you can, roadside stands and farmers markets are the best way to go.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't do anything for any other type of foodstuff.

As for Whole Foods, I think they are a bit overpriced compared to Wegmans without a resulting increase in quality. They also range a lot depending on the store. The one that used to be by me had a great fish section and a better bakery, but was subpar to Wegmans in a bunch of areas. I'm not a fan, but I hear there are better ones in ritzier areas.

This. Organic fever is just ludditism by any other name.

the anti-GMO stuff is too.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Nope.....if my wife buys it, I'll eat it like most anything, but I certainly don't go out of my way to seek out organic food. I think most of it is an overpriced scam. I think your aloud to have a certain amount of chemicals and still be able to labe it organic. A Whole Foods just opened here as well and I have no plans of going.