Bills DEFENSE must improve in these 3 areas in 2018

30 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Bad contract

THE PROCESS. I motion for mods to mandate every OP has to include THE PROCESS. Let's create Bills propoganda on TBD.

He was.. in the rotation for the Panthers last year.

Sorta like we had Adolphus "rotating in" is Adolphus a bust? Though he was gonna be a solid player. But that draft looks really bad now. Scheme shouldn't stop players from displaying talent if they're for real.

Please provide gold star to me when possible.  

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

What does better numbers mean specifically? If the defense improves by .05 yards per rushing attempt would that make him with the price of admission?

I cant really answer that.....I think we need to evaluate it at the end of the season.

All I know is we had a hard time holding the LOS last year with just our down linemen which contributes to a great many bad things.....McD put glue and spit on it and the D did improve.....and he did it with less talent.  This year he has more.

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

You aren't fooling anyone Big Cat.?

And the Bills were among the better teams in the league in not going 3 and out. Nice try though. 

No...You must be confused. Up until the 2nd to last game, the Bills were ranked in the bottom 3 in the league in 3 & outs.

Not gonna be rude & say "Nice try though," but you should probably check up on that, as we were dead last for a while, and ended the season in similar fashion.

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

You aren't fooling anyone Big Cat.?

And the Bills were among the better teams in the league in not going 3 and out. Nice try though. 

Here you go - https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsdef

Bills total 3 & outs - Ranked dead last at 32nd in the league with a 0.183 percentage.

Next closest was Indianapolis with a 0.189 percentage.

I have no idea where you came up with them being one of the "better teams in the league" in 3 & outs, but you're completely incorrect.

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I cant really answer that.....I think we need to evaluate it at the end of the season.

All I know is we had a hard time holding the LOS last year with just our down linemen which contributes to a great many bad things.....McD put glue and spit on it and the D did improve.....and he did it with less talent.  This year he has more.

You are, as always, true blue. His 2018 "cash" ranking is #2 in the league for DT. That is overpaying for a player who is a star in name only.

I put run defense as the number 1 must-improve, followed by pass rush. 3rd and long percentage should improve as a result of an improved run defense and pass rush. 

I love the Edmunds pick, but I think he'll be a bit of a liability against the run at times, at least earlier in his career. He does have good instincts, but I feel like he'll get pushed around a bit when engaged with a linemen. As he gains experience, he should be able to improve his technique enough to be able to avoid and shed blocks more easily. But that's a part of the growing pains, especially with a very young, somewhat raw player in an important role in run defense.

In the passing game is where I think he'll see more success early on. A guy with that size and speed would be a nice asset to any defense against the pass, but it's especially vital to a defense that the Bills run. Blitzing the A gaps should be easier and more frequent now, but in coverage, he can cover ground much faster than Preston Brown can, and can make up for a late reaction with his wingspan. Those are huge factors in a predominantly zone defense. And Milano seemed to always be around the ball last year. He also seems to have great instincts (which help make up for a lack of speed), and had several plays last year where he shot into the backfield untouched to make a stop. 

I don't think it's outlandish to think the Bills defense improves in the 3 areas mentioned in the OP, and the off-season additions certainly were made with those intentions in mind. Even though there will probably be some growing pains, they were near the bottom of the league in many categories, so "improvement" shouldn't be too difficult. At the very least, I think they're heading in the right direction, and our secondary is already pretty good. Give them a better pass rush, and they'll flourish.

Interesting that despite all of this I think most people view the defense in a positive light. I think it is because they had stretches of dominance last year and we could all see the potential for an elite defense. Most Bills fans think the defense will be good this year.

But outsiders look at the numbers and that's all. So I bet most of them will be surprised by how good the defense is this year.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

Interesting that despite all of this I think most people view the defense in a positive light. I think it is because they had stretches of dominance last year and we could all see the potential for an elite defense. Most Bills fans think the defense will be good this year.

But outsiders look at the numbers and that's all. So I bet most of them will be surprised by how good the defense is this year.

I get excited because despite the lack of QB pressure our secondary was still very good.....just imagine how good they would be if we put QBs under pressure to the throw the ball?

This year I am hoping we find out.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Good point, although "dominance" from our defense last year didn't mean "lack of yards". For the first 5-6 weeks (when the defense was probably the most consistent), its was more about limiting teams to FGs instead of TDs, but teams were still moving the ball down the field rather easily for the most part, and picking up large chunks on individual plays at times. A lot of that had to do with certain "holes" in the defense, but it's also by default, being an opportunistic, bend-don't-break defense.

IMO, it was probably a bit more conservative than what you would typically see in a finely tuned McDermott defense, considering the talent on the field, as well as the newness of the scheme. They didn't have 2 good DTs up front like he had in Charlotte, nor did they have a Keuchly/Davis type pair behind them. The players that have been brought in on the front 7 are intended to better utilize this scheme, and as the young players gain experience, I expect to gradually see the aggressiveness on defense increase along the way.

But yeah, the numbers from last year don't look very good, especially to an outsider that didn't watch all the games. That 3 game stretch of LA/NO/NY really dragged those averages down as well. And while you can't take those games away, I would say that overall, the defense performed at an above average level more often than not, and had moments of brilliance and dominance. Unfortunately, the offense couldn't capitalize on all of those moments (Carolina game, WC game). 

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I get excited because despite the lack of QB pressure our secondary was still very good.....just imagine how good they would be if we put QBs under pressure to the throw the ball?

This year I am hoping we find out.

That's where I'm at. Good QBs will recognize coverages and holes in zone defenses, but if there's better pressure up front, those throws will be forced sooner than they'd like, and our guys in coverage will typically have their eyes in the backfield. More throws will be errant, and our defenders will be as to break in balls and jump routes; take more risks.

Better pressure will allow the back end to really clamp down on an offense. I know it's the season for optimism, but when you really look at everything, there's real reason to feel optimistic about our pass defense. The questions are centered around players like Murphy, Lawson, Edmunds, and Davis IMO.