Bills DEFENSE must improve in these 3 areas in 2018

49 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Its not that big . i have seen it, But he is very hard to move off the ball.

This is  big part of the immediate fix effort against the run. I will admit i have faith in what Bills have done to address the D line of scrimmage

hmm. dd sack guys? thats a stout reversal from last year

as long as he pees clean ? Never you mind about Lorax.

if he is used correctly with and improved Line ? I think he might have us cheering again. taking the over with Lorenzo as a situational

I think this all plays into McDs philosophy of defense and what I saw with my eyes last year

when marcel did not play the line of scrimmage moved and not In our favor Adolph Washington is a weak interior guy for his size and it showed

the los is not going to move this year and horrible Harry just solidified it even more

#4. Not having to be on the field 80% of the game because the offense goes 3 & out every drive.

That alone will allow the defense to perform much better in all areas. There were times the defense just made a crucial 3rd down stop after the opposing offense marched down the field taking 7 mins off the clock, giving us life. By the time they took off their helmets, got a drink, and were about to finally get some much-needed rest, the offense was already trotting back to the sideline before the defense ever caught their breath!

They'd be thrown right back out into the fire, exhausted & beat up, while the offense still hadn't broken in a sweat yet. Maybe not leading the league in 3 & outs will improve our defense by default.

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I think this all plays into McDs philosophy of defense and what I saw with my eyes last year

when marcel did not play the line of scrimmage moved and not In our favor Adolph Washington is a weak interior guy for his size and it showed

the los is not going to move this year and horrible Harry just solidified it even more

I feel good about the front 4 rotation. just a feeling of course.

36 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Maybe not leading the league in 3 & outs will improve our defense by default.

i'm expecting a dramatic improvement here.  i think this will be because we start moving the chains more on 1st and second downs meaning we will get more 1st downs as a result instead of constant 3rd and longs. i think passing on 1st and more so 2nd downs will really help drives this year........intead of run, run and hope tyrod makes a play with his legs.

5 hours ago, BigDingus said:

#4. Not having to be on the field 80% of the game because the offense goes 3 & out every drive.

That alone will allow the defense to perform much better in all areas. There were times the defense just made a crucial 3rd down stop after the opposing offense marched down the field taking 7 mins off the clock, giving us life. By the time they took off their helmets, got a drink, and were about to finally get some much-needed rest, the offense was already trotting back to the sideline before the defense ever caught their breath!

They'd be thrown right back out into the fire, exhausted & beat up, while the offense still hadn't broken in a sweat yet. Maybe not leading the league in 3 & outs will improve our defense by default.

I think those are fixes for NEXT year

This year especially at the beginning and especially if we play rookie Josh Allen (who could end up being great) I envision a run the ball.....keep it simple....protect the rookie QB offense which means we are going to see 3 and outs and playing field position.

The D is going to have to shoulder the lion share of the load....i think that is a reality.

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

You're focusing on the wrong side of the ball.

Our D doesn't have to do anything if we don't have a QB.

i know, i wish we drafted somebody!  

C'MON!

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Its only overpayment if he under performs

Star was one of the top DT's in the free agent market and a key component of what makes McD's defense go.

We may have outbid ourselves on that one.

Because he won’t put up numbers of a personal nature what overall defensive ranking will let me know that he is worth the investment?

21 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Solid point, sir.

Wonder why they signed Star ASAP

IS STAR really anything more than a warm body?

5 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

https://www.catscratchreader.com/2018/3/5/17075718/is-nfl-carolina-panthers-defensive-tackle-star-lotulelei-worth-4-years-40-million

31 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

We may have outbid ourselves on that one.

Because he won’t put up numbers of a personal nature what overall defensive ranking will let me know that he is worth the investment?

That is simple

Better numbers defensively against the run

Better numbers by the linebackers playing behind him

If your DT's are not holding the line of scrimmage then your linebackers get blocked and bad things happen.

8 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Trouble against the run doesn’t mean that you significantly overpay someone.

Bad contract

THE PROCESS. I motion for mods to mandate every OP has to include THE PROCESS. Let's create Bills propoganda on TBD.

26 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

https://www.catscratchreader.com/2018/3/5/17075718/is-nfl-carolina-panthers-defensive-tackle-star-lotulelei-worth-4-years-40-million

He was.. in the rotation for the Panthers last year.

Sorta like we had Adolphus "rotating in" is Adolphus a bust? Though he was gonna be a solid player. But that draft looks really bad now. Scheme shouldn't stop players from displaying talent if they're for real.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

22 hours ago, blargo said:

They had only given up 5 rushing TD's in the first 8 games.  The second 1/2 of the season was not pretty in the Rush D for sure.

Didn't New Orleans rush for 13 TDs in that one game alone?

18 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

That is simple

Better numbers defensively against the run

Better numbers by the linebackers playing behind him

If your DT's are not holding the line of scrimmage then your linebackers get blocked and bad things happen.

What does better numbers mean specifically? If the defense improves by .05 yards per rushing attempt would that make him with the price of admission?