Bills secondary aiming for 20 INTs this season

There were only three teams with at least 20 interceptions last season and the Bills were not one of them.

They are aiming to change that this time around. Cornerback Tre’Davious White said that the addition of cornerback Vontae Davis to a group that also includes safeties Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde has the defensive backfield shooting for a lot of takeaways this season.

“We’ve talked about goals and stuff, man,” White said, via Matthew Fairburn of The Athletic. “We want to have 20 picks between us. If each of us can get five, they’re not going to be able to hold us back. If we get 20 picks on the back end, we’ve got those dogs up front and those linebackers, we can easily get 30 takeaways. If you get 30 takeaways in this league, you have a chance of winning a lot of games.”

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

i read that murphy's best year was around 9 sacks but....had 55 hurries......and jerry on the other side?........... flanking kyle and horrible harry?  .......

oh wait! here comes lorax around untouched!.........  bad things man.....i like it.

Edited by billsredneck1
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

I just hope they don't give up a lot of big whiffed plays going "ballhawking".

White, Poyer and Hyde all showed they know how to play zone in McDermott's defense.  I don't think they're going to take a step backwards.  Vontae Davis had a terrible season last year, trying to come back from injury.  He's got the tools and the experience, and he's never had more reasons to be motivated.

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

White, Poyer and Hyde all showed they know how to play zone in McDermott's defense.  I don't think they're going to take a step backwards.  Vontae Davis had a terrible season last year, trying to come back from injury.  He's got the tools and the experience, and he's never had more reasons to be motivated.

I thought our D gave up lots of yards last year going for strips instead of tackles.

Hopefully we can get the turnovers without giving up the yards.

15 hours ago, Augie said:

Indeed! Now, if we can get some pressure we could help them out a LOT! 

Exactly. Pff had a stat on opposing passer rating vs pressure, Bills were second behind Jax. But we were the 2nd to last in pressure %..

We definitely added some nice pieces up front, we get consistent pressure and we should have the best secondary in the NFL

If the Bills can create more pressure up front than last year, the secondary should have more opportunities at INTs. Common sense theme for any team, but in this defense, the secondary often has their eyes in the backfield. Forcing QBs to pass sooner would allow the DBs to break on the ball easier. Step one is to improve the run defense. Step two is to score more points. Then teams may have to pass more to move the ball and keep up. That's why there was so much emphasis put into the defensive line and front 7 this off-season. Hopefully it works out, because our secondary was very good without a pass rush. 

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

On 6/27/2018 at 10:03 PM, TigerJ said:

....and behind davis and white we have johnson and wallace. i'm feeling good about the depth and future. i also think siran neal could possibly become an a. williams.

On 6/28/2018 at 12:03 PM, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

If the Bills can create more pressure up front than last year, the secondary should have more opportunities at INTs. Common sense theme for any team, but in this defense, the secondary often has their eyes in the backfield. Forcing QBs to pass sooner would allow the DBs to break on the ball easier. Step one is to improve the run defense. Step two is to score more points. Then teams may have to pass more to move the ball and keep up. That's why there was so much emphasis put into the defensive line and front 7 this off-season. Hopefully it works out, because our secondary was very good without a pass rush. 

i'm hoping that we can score early in games and dictate the game. this is where we will have a great defense. for once we won't have to have them shut out opponents hoping we can put a drive or 2 together in the 2nd half of games.