Stream Bills games on CBS All Access

nucci

Here's the issue with this IMO. 

All games/packages should just be 'a la carte'. Here's why...

According to the dude from NFL on wgr, these games are still just a regional option. Meaning you get the game in your market base, no more no less.Now, I was born and raised one county away from the stadium. I moved to Charlotte, NC 20 years ago. Got my first cell phone in 2007. Have always kept that number, although I bounced around from there , to Buffalo for 5 years. Now I have been living in central PA for 4 years. What's to say that anybody can just buy a new, cheap cell phone...have it activated to ANY region they chose, and get any game they want on said phone for $5.99 /monthly? I don't understand how else they can control this unless they require GPS before the stream is allowed. In that case, I could have family or friends from back home possess my phone(new/and exclusive phone for that sole purpose...only activated for 3 months a year) just to save that much money. It makes no sense to me. How can they police that?? All it would take would be to allow my family to sync my dummy phone to my tv....and that's that. Is this accurate? I'm asking because I'm not that saavy with tech...

Edited by BuffAlone

6 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

According to the dude from NFL on wgr, these games are still just a regional option. Meaning you get the game in your market base, no more no less.Now, I was born and raised one county away from the stadium. I moved to Charlotte, NC 20 years ago. Got my first cell phone in 2007. Have always kept that number, although I bounced around from there , to Buffalo for 5 years. Now I have been living in central PA for 4 years. What's to say that anybody can just buy a new, cheap cell phone...have it activated to ANY region they chose, and get any game they want on said phone for $5.99 /monthly? I don't understand how else they can control this unless they require GPS before the stream is allowed. In that case, I could have family or friends from back home possess my phone(new/and exclusive phone for that sole purpose...only activated for 3 months a year) just to save that much money. It makes no sense to me. How can they police that?? All it would take would be to allow my family to sync my dummy phone to my tv....and that's that. Is this accurate? I'm asking because I'm not that was by with tech...

It's easily connected to the towers that your phone is streaming from.  How would giving your family a phone help?   You and you're phone would have to be in the right market to watch the game.

EDIT: I ditched Verizon last year, but they'e had this service for a while now.  If the game is being shown in your local market, you could stream it.  It's just giving another way to watch the game.

Best case scenario for out of marketers like me, having this streaming option makes it a little easier to pick it up on streaming services like Mobdro, but even that probably won't change much.

Edited by Acantha

3 minutes ago, Acantha said:

It's easily connected to the towers that your phone is streaming from.  How would giving your family a phone help?   You and you're phone would have to be in the right market to watch the game.

Best case scenario for out of marketers like me, having this streaming option makes it a little easier to pick it up on streaming services like Mobdro, but even that probably won't change much.

ok...again , I have a cell phone number WITHIN the regional range. Why can't I receive the game on my phone? So if I were a true resident, who went on vacation to Seattle, I would forfeit that game?

Also, although my dummy phone is 200 miles away, I don't think that stops anyone from syncing to any smart tv...regardless of location. Is that not correct? I've done it before....

Edited by BuffAlone

Just now, BuffAlone said:

ok...again , I have a cell phone number WITHIN the regional range. Why can't I receive the game on my phone? So if I were a true resident, who went on vacation to Seattle, I would forfeit that game?

Yes.  The phone number, or even where the service is started/billed doesn't help.  You have to be using local towers to get the games.

1 minute ago, Acantha said:

Yes.  The phone number, or even where the service is started/billed doesn't help.  You have to be using local towers to get the games.

So, syncing to my laptop wouldn't work? It certainly does when purchasing Directv

So if a truck driver paid for this service, he wouldn't get the game he paid for unless he was in western NY? Sounds unworthy of ANY monies paid then

2 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

So, syncing to my laptop wouldn't work? It certainly does when purchasing Directv

I don't know every way to do this, but I've never heard of a way to sync a phone with a desktop without wifi/bluetooth/chromecast/wires, etc...  

I can tell you that when I had Verizon, I couldn't stream the game from my phone or computer to my TV using a Chromecast.  Even though the option was there to do so, when I tried it would bring up a message on my TV saying the owner of the content did not allow streaming to other devices.  These systems are made to counter illegal streaming options.  That certainly doesn't it can't be done, just that all the obvious ways are figured out.

Have you tried looking into a Slingbox (not Sling the new streaming company).  They've been around for years and I've heard some good and some bad about them, but never tried myself.  I heard a few years go they messed things up by adding banner ads to the stream, but it may be worth looking into if you have family in the local market willing to help you out.

• Like (+1) 1

I still prefer Direct TV.  I can record the game and start watching an hour after the start so I can fast forward through the commercials. Catch up with the live game in the 3rd quarter. i can spend time with my family sunday morning before I turn into a yelling maniac watching the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Acantha said:

I don't know every way to do this, but I've never heard of a way to sync a phone with a desktop without wifi/bluetooth/chromecast/wires, etc...  

I can tell you that when I had Verizon, I couldn't stream the game from my phone or computer to my TV using a Chromecast.  Even though the option was there to do so, when I tried it would bring up a message on my TV saying the owner of the content did not allow streaming to other devices.  These systems are made to counter illegal streaming options.  That certainly doesn't it can't be done, just that all the obvious ways are figured out.

Have you tried looking into a Slingbox (not Sling the new streaming company).  They've been around for years and I've heard some good and some bad about them, but never tried myself.  I heard a few years go they messed things up by adding banner ads to the stream, but it may be worth looking into if you have family in the local market willing to help you out.

Yeah, I actually have sling. Here's the thing tho...I can sync phone to tv via Chromecast, as well as another option( can't recall the proper name this moment, but think its just a Wi-Fi thing)...but that said, I see no benefit if you travel for work. Which is why I say it wouldn't be worth it. It seems cheap enough...but infeasible. So, every time a man goes to work, outside the region, he gets nothing but an out of region game. Still stuck getting Directv then? No news here. Thanks a lot CBS lol

32 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

I still prefer Direct TV.  I can record the game and start watching an hour after the start so I can fast forward through the commercials. Catch up with the live game in the 3rd quarter. i can spend time with my family sunday morning before I turn into a yelling maniac watching the Bills. 

Expensive....that's the whole point of alternate viewing

1 hour ago, mattynh said:

Only legal option.

I have 3 children in college. I do the $99 Sunday Ticket using 1 of their credentials. I then have the app on my firestick and it works great. It's through Direct Tv. I'm a cord cutter and don't get locked into any contracts. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsfan5121 said:

You are correct to an extent.  What this means is that whatever game is on your local CBS feed, that’s the game available.  I live in Virginia, so there are occasionally times that the Bills are the local game (NE matchups, Baltimore likely week 1 this season).  For me, I would get those games.  The other 14 weeks?  I’d get the national game and Baltimore games.  

So for people in and around buffalo, an antenna works.  For people outside buffalo, we would only get the game if it was on the local CBS feed.  Basically, I still need Sunday Ticket.  

Thanks.  I hate that the Ravens games dominate the DC market most every Sunday.

2 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

According to the dude from NFL on wgr, these games are still just a regional option. Meaning you get the game in your market base, no more no less.Now, I was born and raised one county away from the stadium. I moved to Charlotte, NC 20 years ago. Got my first cell phone in 2007. Have always kept that number, although I bounced around from there , to Buffalo for 5 years. Now I have been living in central PA for 4 years. What's to say that anybody can just buy a new, cheap cell phone...have it activated to ANY region they chose, and get any game they want on said phone for $5.99 /monthly? I don't understand how else they can control this unless they require GPS before the stream is allowed. In that case, I could have family or friends from back home possess my phone(new/and exclusive phone for that sole purpose...only activated for 3 months a year) just to save that much money. It makes no sense to me. How can they police that?? All it would take would be to allow my family to sync my dummy phone to my tv....and that's that. Is this accurate? I'm asking because I'm not that saavy with tech...

Well IPTV gives you feeds to every market so I have CBS in like 300 markets...pick which one you want to watch based on who is playing...

Or just go to the NFL listing and pick the game and you dont need to worry about it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

Heck of alot cheaper than the Sunday Ticket...

Buf if I read it right you have to be "in market". If you have to be in the Bills market, that also means you could just pick up an antenna and get them for free (minus tye cost of the antenna of course), and that if you subscribe to any type of cable you already get these games.

So in my opinion this is not a competitor of Directv

4 hours ago, billsfan5121 said:

You are correct to an extent.  What this means is that whatever game is on your local CBS feed, that’s the game available.  I live in Virginia, so there are occasionally times that the Bills are the local game (NE matchups, Baltimore likely week 1 this season).  For me, I would get those games.  The other 14 weeks?  I’d get the national game and Baltimore games.  

So for people in and around buffalo, an antenna works.  For people outside buffalo, we would only get the game if it was on the local CBS feed.  Basically, I still need Sunday Ticket.  

Based on what I saw - this is right - I do not think based on the preliminary set-up this is a game changer.  

It can can help a bit, but other streaming methods are better.

Eventually the NFL will sell full streaming and makes games available in different packages or through specific companies like Amazon and you will have better and more specific access, but for now - the NFL gets a butt load of money from DirecTV and DirecTV is going to do everything to maintain their control.

Once that contract is done - my guess is they will open up a true fully functioning streaming option along with a TV option to try and double dip and get more money.

For most of these games the download is based upon the local market you are currently in not where you bought your phone or what number you have.  For example when I travel to England - even with my local cell number you lose access to local programming.  The phone knows where you are and that controls what access you have.  I will not say there aren’t ways around it, but for those of us not so savvy - it works.  

Just like if if you are local you can stream WGR and the games on the App, but if you are traveling the App would shut off the game on kickoff and say that due to regulations you can not get the game outside your local market.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Living out of town, I was thinking about buying an extra DirecTV Box to set up in my dad's house and using it exclusively for a Slingbox that I can stream Bills/Sabres games. Does Sling have blackout restrictions?

only at the spot of said slingbox

4 hours ago, The Wiz said:

They do not.  My co worker did this from his parents house and set up a VPN to connect directly to them on his router.

the only issue with new sling box is that if you want to use a mobile device via sling app You must setup the connection in the location of the sling box.  But if its a browser your using than simple all they have to do is LOG in to sling account.   For years my cousin used my slinbox since she had Dish and they and MSG had a big squabble.    I have seriously thought about buying her a sling box so I can watch Sabres.  For NFL I want Sunday Ticket with Sirius Radio for Hockey you get to chose team feed as in baseball, basketball as well.

Yeah, I actually have sling. Here's the thing tho...I can sync phone to tv via Chromecast, as well as another option( can't recall the proper name this moment, but think its just a Wi-Fi thing)...but that said, I see no benefit if you travel for work. Which is why I say it wouldn't be worth it. It seems cheap enough...but infeasible. So, every time a man goes to work, outside the region, he gets nothing but an out of region game. Still stuck getting Directv then? No news here. Thanks a lot CBS lol

Expensive....that's the whole point of alternate viewing

I Have NEVER paid more than 160$ for ST 10 bucks a week is cheap!!!!

2 hours ago, Idandria said:

So would a VPN work? I hate Direct TV..

I’m sure it’s far more complicated than that. 

Thats what I use for IPTV...I use NordVPN and Durex TV 2.0 for streaming. Costs me about 15 by bucks a month for 8000 stations and every movie under the sun.

1 hour ago, Xwnyer said:

the only issue with new sling box is that if you want to use a mobile device via sling app You must setup the connection in the location of the sling box.  But if its a browser your using than simple all they have to do is LOG in to sling account.   For years my cousin used my slinbox since she had Dish and they and MSG had a big squabble.    I have seriously thought about buying her a sling box so I can watch Sabres.  For NFL I want Sunday Ticket with Sirius Radio for Hockey you get to chose team feed as in baseball, basketball as well.

How the hell you manage that? Lol

I can't get Directv at my house, so considered the new stream feature they offered. But it still ain't that cheap! And I was a 7 year subscriber in years past, played the game to get a discount every year, but still was never THAT cheap lol

6 hours ago, mattynh said:

Only legal option.

Not true. IPTV falls into the grey option.

2 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

Not cheaper than $15 a month