NFL Coach Rankings

31 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He benched his starting qb in the middle of a playoff race for a 5th round rookie (say if it’s Josh Allen, it’s much different) who threw 5 ints in a half of football.  Then Tyrod came in, looked much better, and he was forced to go back to him.

if Andy Dalton doesn’t give us a gift, that decision and McDermott is thought of quite differently.  

It's one decision.  

The sum of all of McDermott's decisions is that the Bills achieved a winning record and a playoff birth - despite a roster largely devoid of star players.    

22 hours ago, Jeff1954 said:

The Bills are a small market team. Dissing them isn’t going to cost many if any readers or subscribers to larger media. So MacBeane get ranked low, fans get ranked low, etc. This helps ensure fans in larger and more affluent markets are kept onside.

I think that's some of it.  Jason Garrett is also a known quantity.  Dallas has been very competitive under Garrett when Dallas has had the players.  I like Sean McDermott a lot, but in comparison to most coaches in the NFL, the sample size is limited and his success, though significant to us as Bills fans, doesn't jump off the page like Sean McVay or even Kyle Shanahan.  (Shanahan only got 6 wins last year, but it was a four win improvement and Garapolo looks like the real deal at QB going forward.)

23 hours ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ranking-all-32-nfl-head-coaches-from-worst-to-first/ss-AAzcUao?ocid=ientp#image=33

Sometimes, I don't understand what the purpose of a poll/ranking is or where exactly these ranking come from.  Maybe it's just a conversation piece.  Maybe it's a way to get us fans all riled up during this down time while we sit around and wait for the next phase of football to start.  But one thing I do know or wanna know is how in the hell is Jason Garrett ranked way ahead of McDermott.  If for some reason why Jerry Jones wasn't so infatuated with him, Jason Garrett would've been fired long ago.  Maybe this is just my hate/disgust for the Cowboys.  I don't know.  But like most lists, I just wanna see our team at least ahead of the middle of the pack.  That's just my 2 cents.  I'd love to hear everyone else's thoughts. 

What qualifies McDermott as being better than Garrett, other than the fact that he coaches the team you root for?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

What qualifies McDermott as being better than Garrett, other than the fact that he coaches the team you root for?

I will always be biased towards our team.  But there's no way in hell I would ever be complaining about this list with the previous coaches we've had.  Some of our previous coaches had a talented team (minus a QB) and couldn't produce a winning season.  McD takes an average team, trades away 1st round talented players, and still manages to make the playoffs.  Yes, luck was on our side, but it shows a ton of potential on what can be in the near future.  McD is definitely not afraid to take risks and we will benefit from it.