NFL Coach Rankings

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ranking-all-32-nfl-head-coaches-from-worst-to-first/ss-AAzcUao?ocid=ientp#image=33

Sometimes, I don't understand what the purpose of a poll/ranking is or where exactly these ranking come from.  Maybe it's just a conversation piece.  Maybe it's a way to get us fans all riled up during this down time while we sit around and wait for the next phase of football to start.  But one thing I do know or wanna know is how in the hell is Jason Garrett ranked way ahead of McDermott.  If for some reason why Jerry Jones wasn't so infatuated with him, Jason Garrett would've been fired long ago.  Maybe this is just my hate/disgust for the Cowboys.  I don't know.  But like most lists, I just wanna see our team at least ahead of the middle of the pack.  That's just my 2 cents.  I'd love to hear everyone else's thoughts. 

The Bills are a small market team. Dissing them isn’t going to cost many if any readers or subscribers to larger media. So MacBeane get ranked low, fans get ranked low, etc. This helps ensure fans in larger and more affluent markets are kept onside.

20. Sean McDermott -

At least he can win ugly? McDermott somehow turned the Bills into a playoff team in 17 despite a highly disfunctional offense. Now, the most important test for McDermott: developing a franchise quarterback. Josh Allen is in the house. 

Kind of hard to take the list serious when they have a guy like Mike Vrabel ranked at #17, when he's never coached a single NFL game, and was only a coordinator for a single year before getting the head coaching job. That year happened to be 2017, as the Houston Texans defensive coordinator. Not exactly their best year (I know, injuries...). I mean, he's only been coaching since 2011 as a LB and d line coach. 

They have 4 more rookie head coaches ranked from 24-21 too. 

How do you possibly even rank a head coach before his first game anyway? 

• Like (+1) 2

McD was panned by everyone outside Buffalo for benching Tyrod. WE knew he wasn’t the answer and he was trying to stop the bleeding to save the season, after a promising start. That ‘savior peterman’ imploded was the cherry on top for these ‘sagacious journalists’. Dennison wasn’t among his top choices but the well was drying up. Both were let go in his 2nd off season. Letting Watkins, Dareus, Darby & Glenn go for 2 players who didn’t last the season and Draft picks are still head scratchers -in these parts as well.  

‘Process’ is boring.

Given these criteria, #20 is pretty high up.

• Like (+1) 1

Since McDermott's coaching philosophy is hauntingly reminescent of Dick Jauron, I think #20 is generous, reflecting that McDermott is at least 10 times (maybe 100 times) the game coach that Jauron was.  My guess is that McDermott's "play not to lose" philosophy won't fly long term in the NFL, especially with the lack of talent on the offense.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Jeff1954 said:

The Bills are a small market team. Dissing them isn’t going to cost many if any readers or subscribers to larger media. So MacBeane get ranked low, fans get ranked low, etc. This helps ensure fans in larger and more affluent markets are kept onside.

This is insane.  People loved the Bills making the playoffs.  We made the playoffs but says more about the AFC than us.  The Peterman decision was probably the worse decision of the entire season.  It was a Jauron type season except we caught a couple more breaks.

if the Bills have a solid to good season, he will get his due, small market or not.

McD won more often than he lost against his fellow NFL coaches - despite a comparatively weak Bills roster.  Yet he's ranked below average.  Not sure the logic.

In any case, I think it's still early for us fans to know what kind of coach we have in McD - and I'd be hesitant to rank him at all - but he's off to a promising start.

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

McD won more often than he lost against his fellow NFL coaches - despite a comparatively weak Bills roster.  Yet he's ranked below average.  Not sure the logic.

In any case, I think it's still early for us fans to know what kind of coach we have in McD - and I'd be hesitant to rank him at all - but he's off to a promising start.

The Peterman decision.

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

Every coach makes a mix of good and bad decisions.

The best coaches aren't timid.  They're not afraid to make mistakes.

That was certainly a mistake.

He benched his starting qb in the middle of a playoff race for a 5th round rookie (say if it’s Josh Allen, it’s much different) who threw 5 ints in a half of football.  Then Tyrod came in, looked much better, and he was forced to go back to him.

if Andy Dalton doesn’t give us a gift, that decision and McDermott is thought of quite differently.