Bills Are 18th Best Fans in America

If you look at this from the perspective of NFL team management, which seems to fit they way this study was done,  fan spending is really the literal "bottom line". 

You can whine about market size, average income levels etc.   But this sort of like me saying "I am just as good of a RB as Lesean McCoy, when you take into account, I am decades older, much fatter and much slower". 

Being 18th, in one of the smaller poorer markets is a pretty darn good performance.  Kind of matches the Bills on field performance.  They finish around 18th best quite a bit. 

Looking at the way the study was done - there were three criteria used: the first is "fan equity" that means in essence how much money fans are spending on their team, both for tickets and team merchandise.  The study does not adjust for economic conditions in the team's market.  Thus, a large market team automatically has an advantage over a small market team.  It's no surprise the top four teams in the study are all large market teams.  It's nbot only that there are more people from which to create fans, so the possibility of more fans numerically, but those fans are going to spend more money in total on team merchandise.   Moreover, there are huge demographic differences in wealth across the NFL landscape.  Economies are naturally stronger in Dallas, eastern Massachusetts, New York City and Philadelphia than in Buffalo or DetroitStronger economies mean more people with more money.  That means it's much easier for Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft to overcharge for tickets and merchandise than Terry Pegula.  Those higher ticket prices help their teams to climb higher in the Emory study.  I am a half century fan of the Bills, but I had a career that did not allow me to travel to Orchard Park for games, to say nothing of flying to away games in other parts of the country.  I also don't have a lot of extra money to spend on merchandise.  I have a couple player jerseys, one signed football that was a gift and a few other things that have the Bills logo.  According to the study, I wouldn't count for much as a fan.

The study does not rate fan knowledge or attitude in any way shape or form.  It doesn't care that Patriot fans are arrogant and entitled or that Eagles fans are among the most abusive toward players they don't like or fans of other teams.  The study might have value for a potential owner looking to buy a team, to assess how much money he can make, but it's not something I'm going to pay much attention to.

• Like (+1) 1

The biggest issue I have having read the summary of the study (will read the detail pdf later on), is he is not accounting for median disposable income in this (he does say he is accounting for market size, but not sure exactly how until I read the details of his methods).

For the fan equity piece, if tickets prices are higher, but the same number of tickets are purchased between two fan groups, the higher ticket prices win, even though the same number of units are sold.

This seems to be more best city to build an nfl stadium in a lot of ways, more than best fan base in terms of support.

On 6/26/2018 at 2:44 PM, Buffalo716 said:

List of dumbest colleges in America 

1) Emory University 

How can a University be on the list of dumbest colleges? You know there's a difference right? So dumbest poster goes to.....

14 minutes ago, zonabb said:

How can a University be on the list of dumbest colleges? You know there's a difference right? So dumbest poster goes to.....

Grammar nazi alert, no ****

its a message board

You must be a hit at parties

Edited by Buffalo716

On 6/28/2018 at 7:54 AM, Bill from NYC said:

Good point, and for a losing team to boot.

Bills fans are the best fans of any team in any sport.

It's no secret that I am a lifelong Alabama Fan. We have a tremendous, loyal fan base but can you imagine how easy it is to be an Crimson Tide Fan? Even the name is fantastic! They are consistently great and have the best coach in the history of college football, and it isn't remotely close. If Bama loses their qb on the first play this year they will still probably lose only 2 games. I think all Bills Fans would be better off emotionally if they also were Tide fans but I digress.

Nobody is more loyal that Bills Fans. Nobody, and I mean this. We stuck with them through decades of disappointments and defeats yet year after year our hopes are high. I think that my daughters are stronger people because they are Bills Fans, and I sincerely mean this.

Yes, being fans is something we are the best at.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well of course Bama fans have to be loyal. Literally, what else is there for Alabama to be proud of? ?